One car I'll never buy: Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a complete lube service on a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring this week, and I have to wonder: why would anyone buy this thing? Most vehicles I have a particular dislike of, it's because of cosmetic/ergonomic/driving dynamics, but this Pilot is dead backward - I don't mind the handling related to every day, smooth-surface driving, the driver's vantage point over the car is better than a lot I've driven, and the interior (aside from the mass of buttons) is decent, but on this vehicle I hate the mechanical side of it.

Firstly, MPG rating of 17/23 for the 2WD model, 22 HWY for the 4x4 - so many bigger vehicles with more gonads that get as good or better mileage. If I'm going to drive something that gets that mileage it needs to be a sports car (fast and fun) or a truck-based vehicle!
The 3.5 is smooth enough, but it's clearly just big enough to move this hulk along at an acceptable rate for the present-day consumer. As much a to-do as all the auto reviewers make of NVH, how can they justify it being so obvious when VCM kicks in? And that system has its drawbacks, too, requiring special motor mounts that don't last and are expensive to replace, and internal issues on the rear bank. And all to get the same mileage as a Chevy truck with a 5.3?! Give it another liter of displacement or ditch the cylinder deactivation and turbocharge that sucker. A vehicle of this size and class that drops 2 gears and gains 1,000 RPM on any substantial hill, with the only "cargo" being two people and 60? pounds of stuff strewn around the car, seems sub-standard.
The transmission: it feels alright, but severe service fluid change interval of 30K seems toward the short end of the spectrum for a modern vehicle and, apparently, if you want to keep it in one piece you can't go too far past that 30K even in easy driving. Okay, the ease of the drain/fill is nice, but I'd much rather do a pan/filter drop every 50K than have to mess with three consecutive drain-and-fills that often.
Transfer case and rear end are supposed to be changed just about as often, too, and the rear diff. takes a fluid Honda keeps close to the vest. Why put up with this lubrication regimen when a K1500 Suburban needs normal oil(s) in the gearboxes every 100K, and will still survive in most cases if even that is ignored?

As I said, on-road handling isn't particularly undesirable, but once you get to a curvy, narrow road or a well-worn gravel road it corners about like there's mild frozen slush on the road and overcomes large bumps like a tractor with a substantial amount on the front-end loader.

I've only driven it about 60 miles and haven't actually maintained it for tens of thousand of miles... but from no more experience than I have with it I've never felt so compelled to write about my dislike of a vehicle so strongly!

Everybody has their own opinion... my wife loves her 2006 Pilot. I've been nagging her to get something new and she refuses. If you do a google search for cars owners keep the longest, the pilot ranks in the top ten. What vehicles are bigger that get better gas mileage? The new Pilot is rated 27 hwy. My mom's 2005 Tahoe doesnt get as good of mpg as our 2006 Pilot and the Pilot feels quicker.

I hear you. That era Pilot is drop dead ugly, bulky, and a gas hog. A real BOF SUV like a suburban wouldnt return much worse MPGs for a LOT more power and space.

And frankly I think any car-based SUV is idiotic. They miss the mark on utility compared to a minivan or suburban, and they miss the mark on fuel economy compared to a minivan. Folks so against vans, for fear of their masculinity just need to grow up. Ditto for the women's equivalent.

I think the current one is much better, and better looking.

VCM is easily modified with a resistor in series. The simplest "mod" Ive ever done to a vehicle. I dont mind the VCM for local use, but put in the resistor for road trips as the MPG increase isnt as pronounced, and I dont like the feel of it on the interstate.

I think this style Pilot looked pretty good.

I agree with the terrible gas mileage for a Honda when there are better vehicles for a family.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I hear you. That era Pilot is drop dead ugly, bulky, and a gas hog. A real BOF SUV like a suburban wouldnt return much worse MPGs for a LOT more power and space.

According to fuelly.com, comparing a siliar generation Pilot to a Surburban gets you 20% better fuelly economy. According to 0-60 times website, the Pilot .2 sec quicker in 0-60. Also the Pilots 3rd row seats fold flat. The suburban and tahoe didnt get that until this newest generation.

The '06 Pilot may be much different - it is a different body style. I believe the 2012 Suburban/1/2 ton Silverado is, in its most popular form, a VVT 5.3 (gasp, more than one engine option!) - I'd expect a GMT800 4x4 Suburban to get 18 hwy at best, but I believe the revamps since that era have benefited fuel economy. Even the Ecoboost 3.5 in an F150 crew cab is rated for about 22 on highway, isn't it? And I really hope the newest generation Pilot is improved or that makes me wonder even more.

This is an exception rather than a rule, but the answer to your question about a bigger vehicle that gets better mileage is a '97 2WD Suburban (350) that, with 5 people, luggage stacked to the roof in the back, and the A/C running across highway 70 in Kansas pulled 21 MPG - that was with 250,000 miles, Maxlife 10w40, and Wal-Mart Goodyear Wranglers.

JHZR2, if I ever did have a sanity lapse and got something with a VCM-equipped J35 engine I'd certainly disable it, but I was judging the vehicle by what it appears it's supposed to be, not what it can be modified to be.

Last edited:
If its vibration you can feel inside the passenger compartment it probably has a bad mount. The cost of some Honda active mounts and labor to install will buy a lot of the extra gas used from using a muzzler.

You can also ignore a lot of the automotive journalists because if they receive a lot of perks from the manufacturers it's hard to trust what they write. Also they usually only see a vehicle for a short time.

At least your report reflected what you though instead of what someone might have encouraged you to write.

I looked at the Pilot in 03 when I purchased my 03 4Runner. I read everything about all the SUV's and drove them all. The 4Runner suited me better for rough road towing and ease of maintenance and a good reputation. It was also built at the at the time best rated factor operation world wide, the Tahara plant at Tahara, Aichi, Japan.

One report on a group of SUV's by Car & Driver did not like the 7 passenger Suzuki SUV because they said it drove like a truck. The problem here was that Suzuki advertised that their SUV was built truck tough on a separate frame to insure a rugged vehicle that could handle tough jobs.

Everyone has different taste. There are many that rack up hundreds of thousands of miles on these with little complaint.

Originally Posted By: czbrian

{snip} ... According to 0-60 times website, the Pilot .2 sec quicker in 0-60.

Okay, I understand you are trying to be comprehensive, but really ... two tenths of a second? And you're (or someone is) racing a Pilot? Against Suburbans?

Anyone who takes that spec seriously when shopping for a utility vehicle needs to take a week off from the internet. I suggest the Caribbean.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

{snip} ... According to 0-60 times website, the Pilot .2 sec quicker in 0-60.

Okay, I understand you are trying to be comprehensive, but really ... two tenths of a second? And you're (or someone is) racing a Pilot? Against Suburbans?

Anyone who takes that spec seriously when shopping for a utility vehicle needs to take a week off from the internet. I suggest the Caribbean.

He was saying the Pilot felt underpowered and that you could get a much more powerful Suburban or something. I was trying to show evidence the Pilot is not underpowered. We were having a healthy debate about the merits of the different vehicles.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You can also ignore a lot of the automotive journalists because if they receive a lot of perks from the manufacturers it's hard to trust what they write. Also they usually only see a vehicle for a short time.

At least your report reflected what you though instead of what someone might have encouraged you to write.

I looked at the Pilot in 03 when I purchased my 03 4Runner. I read everything about all the SUV's and drove them all. The 4Runner suited me better for rough road towing and ease of maintenance and a good reputation. It was also built at the at the time best rated factor operation world wide, the Tahara plant at Tahara, Aichi, Japan.

One report on a group of SUV's by Car & Driver did not like the 7 passenger Suzuki SUV because they said it drove like a truck. The problem here was that Suzuki advertised that their SUV was built truck tough on a separate frame to insure a rugged vehicle that could handle tough jobs.

I have never even seen a sidewise V6 After doing a head R+R on a sidewise i-4 just imagining doing anything to the back bank of a sidewise V6 gives me the willies. Ka- Ching ! Very interested in a used 4 Runner as a 2nd vehicle.

I liked them when they were boxy. Never a fan of timing belts. Between that and the "honda tax", I don't see myself ever having one.

The current generation ... not a fan

My Pilot's one of the most comfortable highway cruisers I've ever driven. I much prefer the boxy design over whatever they did with the current gen. VCM is an all around stupid technology. Even with it, the MPG suck. With the VCMuzzler, you're reminded what a great engine the J35 truly is.

Last edited:
So if I Googled this right - they don't drop cylinders from each bank - they drop a full bank ?

Originally Posted By: stower17
Simply put, you are not the type of person that should buy a Honda Pilot.

Sounds about right.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I think this style Pilot looked pretty good.

OK, Ill give you that the 06 variant looks better than the one that replaced, but not as good (IMO) as the current model.

According to fuelly.com, comparing a siliar generation Pilot to a Surburban gets you 20% better fuelly economy. According to 0-60 times website, the Pilot .2 sec quicker in 0-60. Also the Pilots 3rd row seats fold flat. The suburban and tahoe didnt get that until this newest generation.

I think the Tahoe is ridiculous too... The cargo space with a third row up is worse than some of the three row car SUVs...

Suburban is where its at, if you need people and cargo. Frankly, I couldnt care less about folding the third row in a suburban, given all the space behind it.

That's my biggest gripe with these three row car-based SUVs. With the third row up, the cargo space is virtually useless. If you need an SUV vs a minivan due to towing or to prove manliness, then get a suburban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back