On TFL Truck - RAM is retroactively reducing tow rating of HD trucks.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Apparently you can input the VIN of your RAM truck on the RAM website somewhere and see the exact config and capacities of your truck. A viewer discovered that the towing capacity of his truck went down 2000 lbs from when he bought it. TFL owns a 2022 RAM 2500 Cummins and found the same thing. RAM hasn't replied with an explanation. TFL say RAM trucks don't have a door jam placard with capacities like GM trucks, is this true RAM guys?

Just checked my friend's 21 2500 6.4 w/4.10. No change from a year ago. 3124 payload/16,760 max.

Are frames breaking on RAM HDs? If you're thinking of that guy with the huge slide in camper he was way overloaded.
Yep.. that one.. and yeah , he was severely overloaded... but do you think it may have sparked something internally at Ram ?

TFL say RAM trucks don't have a door jam placard with capacities like GM trucks, is this true RAM guys?

This is absolutely true. Ram has the worst door placards. The tire and loading label is obviously there, which has specific payload and tire pressures for the vehicle, but the label with GVWR only list GVWR, front GAWR, and rear GAWR. Basically only what is required by law. Nothing on any label related to GCWR or towing.

GM has probably the best label in the industry. There are actually three labels on new(er) GM trucks. The required tire and loading label, the required GVWR/GAWR label, and a third "Trailering Information" label that lists:
  • GVWR
  • GCWR
  • RGAWR
  • Curb Weight
  • Max Payload
  • SAE J2870 Max Conventional Towing
  • SAE J2870 Max Conventional Tongue Weight
  • SAE J2870 Max Gooseneck Towing
  • SAE J2870 Max Gooseneck Pin Weight
All the typical weights and measures you need to know for towing, all in one place, right on the door.

GM has probably the best label in the industry. There are actually three labels on new(er) GM trucks. The required tire and loading label, the required GVWR/GAWR label, and a third "Trailering Information" label that lists:
  • GVWR
  • GCWR
  • RGAWR
  • Curb Weight
  • Max Payload
  • SAE J2870 Max Conventional Towing
  • SAE J2870 Max Conventional Tongue Weight
  • SAE J2870 Max Gooseneck Towing
  • SAE J2870 Max Gooseneck Pin Weight
All the typical weights and measures you need to know for towing, all in one place, right on the door.

I'd love to see all manufacturers adopt this type of clear labeling, particularly on vehicles like pickup trucks. It takes much of the "mystery" out of what can my truck tow. So many people don't read all the asterisks and fine print that relates to the towing guides.

This is absolutely true. Ram has the worst door placards. The tire and loading label is obviously there, which has specific payload and tire pressures for the vehicle, but the label with GVWR only list GVWR, front GAWR, and rear GAWR. Basically only what is required by law.
That type of practice speaks of their culture....and it seems to extend to their philosophy with other items as well.

If you watch the TFL vid they say their truck configuration isn't in the guide so there you go.

Towing placard on our Sierra
placard.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn’t work for me. I guess the paper stands.

CAEA5D6D-1D7D-4A74-A8F0-D30DA1318CD6.jpeg

Interesting how much the ratings increased over time.

Back