Ford following RAM derating tow capacity on some sold trucks.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I posted before that TFL Truck had a video about RAM lowering tow ratings on sold trucks. Seems Ford is doing the same. Go to 01:10 in the video where the guy says Ford Customer Care admitted Ford derated gas F350s and would be sending out a letter and new door jam capacity placards. Maybe they're all rethinking the crazy high tow ratings?

That's gotta be grounds for a class action suit they cant win. And if ford wins then the courts are broken. That's along the lines of bait and switch and false advertising even if it's after the fact.

Derating is all because of this dude...

Ram-Snapped-Hero-2.jpg

So while while yes these trucks were advertised and sold with specific towing capacity claims and to have them now derate it is messed up and realistically false advertising so they should reimburse customers in some way.

But if you buy a truck for example that has a tow capacity of 10,000lbs and you actually tow 10,000lbs you bought the wrong truck, you should realistically not be towing too close to the actual capacity.

i don’t think this should be legal. I think customers should be able to request a buy back if they can prove this affects them. What if I bought this $80K truck to tow a10K camper and now I can’t? Imagine if the tow rating change was more extreme and went from 10K to 2K. I wouldn’t be able to use my truck for the reason I bought it. I could have bought a crossover at half the price instead.

If your running right up against the tow capacity limit, you're already doing it wrong anyway.
Very true. So many people come in wanting to know exact numbers on what an F-150 can tow and of course whatever they want to tow is way past the limit. People don't seem to listen when I tell them to get a F-350 or F-450, pay one, cry once.

Very true. So many people come in wanting to know exact numbers on what an F-150 can tow and of course whatever they want to tow is way past the limit. People don't seem to listen when I tell them to get a F-350 or F-450, pay one, cry once.

Wife: "can't your 1/2t pull a 6-8lb dry travel trailer?"
Me: "sure it can. a 3/4t will pull it and handle exponentially better though. why use the bare minimum and suffer?"
Wife: "hrmph"
Me: ":D"

Our 3500HD gas is overkill for our trailer. I didn't buy it for this trailer. Besides the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is the rear diff size and the overload leafs and there was a deal on the 3500. Like BD said buy once.

Wife: "can't your 1/2t pull a 6-8lb dry travel trailer?"
Me: "sure it can. a 3/4t will pull it and handle exponentially better though. why use the bare minimum and suffer?"
Wife: "hrmph"
Me: ":D"
We had a guy with a 2012ish F-150 with the 3.5EgoBoom complain that his truck was almost overheating when going 85+mph up the Grapevine (I-5) with 200 gallons of some liquid in the bed while towing an 9K pound trailer. First off, in California the speed limit while towing is 55mph. Then the customer didn't understand the concept of combined weight.

We had a guy with a 2012ish F-150 with the 3.5EgoBoom complain that his truck was almost overheating when going 85+mph up the Grapevine (I-5) with 200 gallons of some liquid in the bed while towing an 9K pound trailer. First off, in California the speed limit while towing is 55mph. Then the customer didn't understand the concept of combined weight.
Sigh

Our 3500HD gas is overkill for our trailer. I didn't buy it for this trailer. Besides the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is the rear diff size and the overload leafs and there was a deal on the 3500. Like BD said buy once.
Plus there’s usually only a $2-5k price difference betwixt the two. But more payload and towing.

Identically spec'd 2500 & 3500 were $1200 different when we were buying but for some reason the way we spec'd the truck the difference was only $400. Why not?
That’s what I’m talkin bout playa. :cool:

Back