? on partial oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 dodge diesel, dello 400 with wix filter. Say I went 5,000 and then drained 1 gallon and added a gallon every 2500 miles after, how long would you go before a filter change and a complete oil change.

I think Dodge recommends 5,000 mile OCI with full oil change with their diesels, unless you have a UOA showing you're good to extend beyond that i'd change it all at once. Also how are you going to go about draining exactly one gallon from the crankcase?

I have a petcock valve bought from Geno's garage, just pull the lever and drain out, I guess drain into a mt jug for measurement.

Sounds messy, why would you do that? [--oh, edit: a petcock valve?! what's that? maybe that makes it less messy] I think your engine would prefer fresh oil, and definitely a fresh filter. From my little bit of experience, I think it's advisable to change oil every 3 to 4k for winter oils, and every 5 to 6k for non winter oil.

What are you trying to gain? If you want to do it, moniter the condition of the oil with a UAO every once in a while.

Originally Posted By: Gator
2005 dodge diesel, dello 400 with wix filter. Say I went 5,000 and then drained 1 gallon and added a gallon every 2500 miles after, how long would you go before a filter change and a complete oil change.

Dodge is 7500 for sever service (schedule "B" in the manual).
Unless you're pushing high HP/tuners/big turbo etc..., you will have LOW numbers with any big brand name oil and a quality filter for that mileage.
Take my word for it, because I own an 06 and have looked at many uoa's on the net in the last 5 years...
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Thanks I'll check that filter out next time, Tell me about your Dodge results and Oil you use, do you have a bypass filter. I am not a scientist but I would think a bypass filter would be a awesome addition, even better I would think a preluber set on a timer to pump oil to turbo after shutdown would help the turbo and keep oil moving till the turbo cools down.

To answer your question directly, the only way to know is to do a UOA after each cycle, and you'll see how far you can push the "modified" OCI plan.

But know this ...
"Normal" OCIs and routine service can make today's light duty diesels (or most any engine for that matter) last far longer that you will ever consider owning the vehicle.

If you want a bypass system, that would be OK. But to get the full use and payback, I suspect you'd have to drive at least 25k miles per year on one OCI to make it worth while.

Being in AL, you have no need for synthetic fluids for temp extremes.

If we knew more about your operating and maintenance plans, that would help us suggest some point to consider, but as a generalization, synthetics and bypass filtration are a waste for most people. They do not realize and/or acknowledge that these are fiscal savings tools to extend your OCI, not the life of your truck.

I've always thought about this. I use a vacume pump to evacuate my oil. Why not vacume 1/2 the oil in your sump every 5k, replace with fresh and change the filter every 10k along with 1/2 the oil again. I bet the truck engine would outlast you. Maybe I'll never do another traditional oil change again!

I'm tempted to do this with my 96 tacoma, 181k. I now do 5-6k OCI's with 10-12k filter changes. Looks very clean through the filler hole.

Gator, what you're suggesting will work fine, but I'm not sure about your numbers. Why not work out a scheme for every 2000 miles or 3000 or whatever works for you, that over, say, 100,000 miles uses the same number of gallons of oil and same number of filters. But, why bother? If you were talking about an engine in an industrial use where you could not shut it down, yes, tap a little off regularly and add a little, and it'll be fine. For automotive use, why not run the full manufacturer's oil drain recommendation? If you have any doubts, run a few lab tests of the oil. The tests will cost a lot less in the long run that throwing away good oil on guesswork.

Originally Posted By: Gator
Thanks I'll check that filter out next time, Tell me about your Dodge results and Oil you use, do you have a bypass filter. I am not a scientist but I would think a bypass filter would be a awesome addition, even better I would think a preluber set on a timer to pump oil to turbo after shutdown would help the turbo and keep oil moving till the turbo cools down.

I always had low wear numbers (previous to regular uoa's and post break in) with any dino/syn oil I used at that 7500 schedule. I run the Amsoil bypass and I really like it. As for the oil, I am currently using Amsoil AME 15W40. As for the turbo, I wouldn't worry about it. On my Pyrometer temps go down pretty quickly (this is pre, not post), but it's still a decent indication that it's safe to shutdown. I haven't heard of anyone who has had catastrophic failures from not installing a lube device. Your money can be better spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back