Older Husqvarna chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an older Husqvarna 246 chainsaw. Its a nice little saw which I think has a great balance between power and size. Sporting a 16 inch bar and it will handle everything I could throw at it. Which, honestly, isn't much these days. About once a year I stock up firewood for the summer at the cottage. Maybe here and there through out the rest of the year to rough cut dimensional lumber for utility tasks.

Been having some starting and idling issues with ti for years now. I can always get it to work by re-adjusting idle speed and the L jet, but I suspect it would do well with a carb kit and new fuel line/pickup.

Saw is pretty old and I don't trust the sellers on epray to know the fit perfectly for their various carb kits. Does anybody know what carb Husq used on this saw? Is there an upgraded or better unit that might be available for cheap on the used market? Saw still runs strong, but like I said it just won't really dial in the low end any more.

How's the compression? If it's really good, and the cylinder is not scored, then it's prob the carb.

The carbs are really simple so it sounds like a rebuild is in order. Sorry, I don't know the carb model.

I have the exact same Husqie model that's over 30 years old, used very sparingly in recent years. About six years ago I found out the hard way that there are TWO plastic fuel lines that deteriorate over time. Now a couple years after replacing both lines the carb is real finicky and the choke no longer holds in place to be able to start it.

Frankly the cost and hassle of fixing it is prohibitive, even if you know what parts you need. Try Googling the model number to see if you can get an engine diagram and parts list.

Cool, thanks for the links. Looks very serviceable still!

And wow, 3.1hp. That's pretty good for the size.

These carbs are pretty simple, wouldn't be shocked at all if the local fleet farm doesn't have a rebuild kit in stock on the shelf. Like has been said, the fuel line and impulse line are probably deteriorated as well, very simple to replace them and the fuel filter in the tank at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back