old tracker and I have 55 gallons 5-20 synblend??

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOWDY!!
Was ASE Ford/GM/Subaru tech for years and now have small garage. I recently purchased a bulk 55 gallon drum of AMALIE (XCEL) synthetic blend
http://www.xcellube.com/products/pcmo/syntheticblend.html
for customer's newer cars including my own '12 ford escape.

Question is I have 91 Geo Tracker (suzuki) with 150,000 miles on it , all ORIGINAL and runs great. On cold start there is a slight tapping?? which is not the valve lash, but it goes away and the engine is totally silent when warm. great vehicle. I wonder , in colder weather as now in the 30s-50s if the 5w-20 synthetic blend is ok or not ok????????
AMALIE XCEL WEBPAGE

Last edited:
With it being fairly older I'd stick with the recommended oil. The cold start tapping/ticking might be an minor exhaust leak that seals itself as the engine heats up. I have that with my 1996 Contour. The colder the outside air is on start up the noisier it is till the engine starts to warm up. I use 5W-30 synthetic so the oil is flowing ok at "cold" starts. Looking in the oil fill the head is spotless. This car does not see true winter temps, it gets garaged for the winter. Annoying but liveable with considering the age of the car.

Whimsey

Thanks for the input.. I also wonder what I could spike the 5w-20 with? I religiously use rotella 15w-40 in motorcycles and have that on hand also.......hmmmm

Originally Posted By: barnbiketom
Thanks for the input.. I also wonder what I could spike the 5w-20 with? I religiously use rotella 15w-40 in motorcycles and have that on hand also.......hmmmm

Perhaps schaeffers 132, some 5w 40 oil or ow 40 oil.

If it doesn't burn oil, you shouldn't have a problem. Especially in colder weather. You can mix 50/50 5w20 & 15w30 and have a lighter 10w30 ish if you wanted.

Keep the information coming and thanks!!
It does use some oil, but I wonder if it is burn-off as I really only noticed it after interstate use??..but all in all, between oil changes of 5000 miles, it routinely uses a couple quarts, maybe more. and it has a couple tiny leaks that I am waaay to lazy to fix!

If you have the Rotella on hand, I'd mix it 3 to 1 5w-20 with Rotella; ie 3 quarts 5w-20 and 1 15w-40. I personally think the modern lighter viscosity oils shouldn't be put in much older vehicles just for piece of mind.

Last edited:
I agree with Drew99GT, mixing with a ratio of 3:1 will give you a light 30 eight, if the engine consumes more oil than normal then top off with Rotella when it went down to add a quart.

Thanks everybody!! 3:1 it will be and I feel better knowing I can use what I have..I'll monitor this thread to see what others say ..but figure it's ok!:)

Lots of vehicles have a bit of noise on startup that goes away once warmed; I wouldn't worry about it to much, except to keep an ear on it to see if it gets worse.

The Amalie is supposed to be good stuff. I'd mix it to get as close to your recommended oil viscosity as possible in the Tracker and not worry.

Your engine has piston slap that goes away when the piston expands with heat. As a tech, I'm sure you have seen hundreds of similar vehicle over the years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Your engine has piston slap that goes away when the piston expands with heat. As a tech, I'm sure you have seen hundreds of similar vehicle over the years.

I really listened today and i think it is exhaust manifold leak!!!!
It only makes noise on accel and not at idle.. Im 62 and the senses aren't like they used to be haaaa.
My 2000 toyota tundra w/ 4.7 V8.....with 251,000 miles.. Now THAT HAS PISTON SLAP lolol..geesh it scares me when i start it but warm she sounds like singer sewing machine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back