Old time hockey: Henri Richard RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henri Richard, who played on 11 (ELEVEN) Stanley Cup championship teams with the Montreal Canadiens, died yesterday at age 84. I saw him play many games at the Spectrum in Philadelphia in the 1960's and 1970's. Always distinguished looking with his silver hair and no hockey helmet, Richard was an excellent skater and playmaker, often overshadowed by other star teammates. If you were not a Montreal fan, it was easy to root against them. But today's players and fans alike can only dream about their team winning 11 NHL championships. Richard was no fighter, but RIP to an excellent old time hockey player.

[Linked Image]

As a young lad growing up in a small hamlet 12 miles south of the Canadien border, it was always a treat to turn the outside antenna to the north for CBMT or current CFCF 12 and watch Richard and Goalie Gump Worsley play the game of hockey then later in the week gather the lads upon the local ponds to play hockey as if. The Rocket.

Originally Posted by Astro14
RIP Rocket Richard.

Henri Richard is not the "Rocket", that is his older brother Maurice. Henri is the "Pocket Rocket" because of his diminutive stature. He was relentless on the ice, dogged determination, excellent skater and just a fabulous hockey player. RIP #16.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Originally Posted by Astro14
RIP Rocket Richard.

Henri Richard is not the "Rocket", that is his older brother Maurice. Henri is the "Pocket Rocket" because of his diminutive stature. He was relentless on the ice, dogged determination, excellent skater and just a fabulous hockey player. RIP #16.

I stand corrected!

My apologies.

My memory of that era of hockey, when I used to root for the Jets (as a young resident of Winnipeg) is a bit fuzzy..

I remember him when I first started following and playing hockey in the early 1970s. In his mid thirties, he looks like someone who would pass for 75 by today's standards. Likewise with Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner. Many (not all) people today age better.

Henri played many quality years and was overshadowed by the likes of Hull, Orr, Howe, Mahovlich and Lafleur.

I was a crazy hockey fan as a kid. The only way to watch a Rangers game on tv was every Saturday night channel 9 would broadcast an away game. When the Rangers traveled to Montreal it was such a treat to see a game played at the Montreal Forum and see those greats play. Only 6 teams in the entire league. Hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back