Old stock Valvoline Nextgen conventional good to use ??

Hey guys

Getting mixed opinions from my local mechanics. Want to try and ask here..................

So I scored some old stock Valvoline nextgen conventional 5W/10W30 at a AAP hub and was wondering if this is safe to use in my Tahoe ?? Not sure how they are but bottles were turning yellow from sitting on top shelf near the over head lighting lol

At moment I have a 2002 Tahoe 5.3 with over 300K and some moderate lifter noise. So not sure if its safe to use or go with my gut choice of my stash of Castrol GTX 10W40 ??

I snagged 10 qts(5-5w20/5-5w30) last year(MAY-JUN 2020) from PepBoys for $1.25/qt with a mgf date from 2017. They're fine and I've had no issues.

I wanted them even cheaper than what I bought them for as they had them listed/closeout for $3/qt. on the discount rack. I asked the mgr what the lowest price she could go w/o loosing her job and $1.25 is what I agreed to.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Yup, I would use it without hesitation in that vehicle.

It was a good oil with poor advertising and pricing.
So long as the oil meets the spec of the vehicle it is being used in and the containers are not leaking, it is fine.

Yup, I would use it without hesitation in that vehicle.

It was a good oil with poor advertising and pricing.
So long as the oil meets the spec of the vehicle it is being used in and the containers are not leaking, it is fine.

Ya I agree it was almost everywhere like 10 years ago. And Saftey-Kleen?? has been selling recycled oil for commercial transportation business for years. So I can assume that Valvoline does the same or better job at refining the old oil

Shame all they had was conventional. I was hoping for some Nextgen full syn. But at $1 a qt I cant be too picky lol

Mike

Valvoline NextGen had a bad NOACK percentage as per PQIA. If you're going use it, I'd recommend using it to supplement a 5 quart jug of newer oil or keeping a good eye on oil levels if you fill up entirely using it.

Valvoline NextGen had a bad NOACK percentage as per PQIA. If you're going use it, I'd recommend using it to supplement a 5 quart jug of newer oil or keeping a good eye on oil levels if you fill up entirely using it.

Interesting. I'm using this in a older vehicle high mileage vehicle so not to worried lol. Was also thinking of using a bottle of Hy-per lube oil supplement as well ??

I never used Nextgen but if age is why you're questioning whether to use it or not then go for it. I'm using various brands of 15-25 year old oil in all my cars and they don't know the difference.

Reactions: pbm
I never used Nextgen but if age is why you're questioning whether to use it or not then go for it. I'm using various brands of 15-25 year old oil in all my cars and they don't know the difference.

Sweet !!! ill monitor my Tahoe on the Castrol GTX. If "She" doesn't like it then its the Nextgen or Delo 400XLE 10W30 which I have enough supply for the next several years lol

Mike

The 5w-20 is the one that was high (standard is 15, it was tested @ 18.4, lower is better).
The 5w-30 was tested @ 14.8, so just under it (average for all oils was 14.2).

Valvoline sent a letter PQIA about the 5w-20 contesting the result. Link

I used some Nextgen 5w-20 on my F150 for 2-3 changes and had no higher consumption than I normally do.

I would use the xw-30 and not worry about it other than just checking the level on a regular basis.

Reactions: JC1
The 5w-20 is the one that was high (standard is 15, it was tested @ 18.4, lower is better).
The 5w-30 was tested @ 14.8, so just under it (average for all oils was 14.2).

Valvoline sent a letter PQIA about the 5w-20 contesting the result. Link

I used some Nextgen 5w-20 on my F150 for 2-3 changes and had no higher consumption than I normally do.

I would use the xw-30 and not worry about it other than just checking the level on a regular basis.
FYI as per your 5w-20 link, the NOACK is shown as a retest, at 18.3%

Glad the 5w-20 worked for your application without issue. I agree with your statement on the 5w-30.

Is that the stuff if the light green bottles that is 50% recycled oil? We had cases of that stuff donated when I was in school I’d throw it away that’s one thing by Valvoline I wouldn’t use.

Back