Old Poured Basement Wall Refinishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

What people fail to realize a coating like Drylock works best on walls that were never coated, once they were coated a latex masonry paint is actually better.

Very true. As far as I know, Drylock type products state that on the product as well.

The problem is a lot of people don't read the label or understand how the product works. [That's not the case here!] Then you have the guy in the paint department answering questions like: what's the best paint to put on my basement walls? The canned response is typically whatever waterproof basement paint they carry. Applying it to bare walls is completely forgotten.

Very true dermarpaint. So few read the label, or just ignore it based on info a store employee gave them.

I'm going to bump this up for one more go around.

This is a bit off topic and doesn't address the interior wall repair, but addresses a very common cause of damp basements: improper attention to the grade immediately adjacent to the house.

Many homes have landscaping (dams/reverse slope)around the house perimeter that invites water to flow towards and down the exterior wall. Aggressive solutions recommend a 1 inch per foot drop for about 4 feet out from the house. I have seen some install pond liner over the first several feet from the house (covered in decorative mulch) to make a sort of flashing around the house that directs 100% of the water away from the basement wall. Then, the remaining landscape needs to let the water flow away. I did this with a slightly less aggressive slope and for about $500 dollars I eliminated a wet basement compared to over $15,000 to have the entire perimeter dug out and work on the exterior wall.

I have links for this if interested. A cheap fix often overlooked.

Dermapaint - any recommendations for good paint for basement concrete or block walls? One person said exterior latex, but isn't it designed to chalk? Does one breath better to handle the moisture?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Not to mention that many houses of that vintage are in tightly packed, less than desirable inner city neighborhoods where no one in their right mind would want to own a home or raise a family. Those neighborhoods tend to attract those who can't afford anything more modern, and have to settle for a vintage house (and claim they live there because it has character).

Wow, quite a stretch there, especially coming from someone who lives in the boonies.

You have frequently thumped your chest and pretended that your vintage house and inner city neighborhood are superior to any modern home. I've known a number of people who have done the same thing-it is an attempt to justify their financially limited housing choice, especially their first home. Your house was the type of house that we purchased cheap, flipped, and sold for a profit.

In the last 10 years you've spent more time posting about problems with your vintage house than I have spent doing maintenance on our 20 year old home.

You did get one thing right-we live in the boonies. It's quiet, the taxes are low, the utilities are inexpensive, and when our neighbors sneeze, we don't hear them. Our closest neighbor is a mile away. On the other hand you've complained about your neighbors

I wish there was a heavy, guarded fence by my neighbor to the south

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=745838

And at least our house is straight and level.

The issue is that it's an old house, the walls aren't straight,

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2643467

the PO hastily painted and got paint on the wood trim

None of our trim looks like this.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2639686

None of our insulation looks this bad.

Had to be careful as some rock wool can be carcinogenic.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2632758

None of our pipes look like this.

If there was ever water before, it was local and small, never dumped water that flowed to another point and made a puddle like it did this pm.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3079278/1

Never had horrid vinyl windows installed by a previous owner.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3006936

Unfortunately the previous owners removed the beautiful wood sash weight type windows and installed horrid vinyl windows in their place.

And of course, 4 years ago you asked the same question that you asked in this post. At that time you were sure you had mold.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1995563

But, if your ego is boosted by defending your inner city home, then by all means continue to do so.

My ex girlfriend's parents bought an old house in Miami Beach.

They spent over $200,000 on upgrades and repairs, when I told my GF that it was better just to buy a new house than fixing up a 60 year old house, she exploded and chewed me out. I zipped my lips from that point forward.

Older houses are nice, but its not for everyone.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

But, if your ego is boosted by defending your inner city home, then by all means continue to do so.

What's humorous is that you spent the time dissecting years old posts and questions to try to belittle my choices and situation. What's sad is that some of your attempts were so far out of context that I have to wonder how someone could have such poor reading comprehension.

One way or another, I'm not even half your age, and so if I find your behavior incredibly immature, imagine how it appears to the rest of the users here. Not sure what part of your ego or jealousy drives your behavior, but perhaps you should get your emotional well being checked out because it's sad to see old people be such curmudgeons, especially when they pile an excessively pompous attitude on top of it.

If you have useful things to say, by all means; otherwise just stay away as your trolling is pretty worthless. Your obsolete thinking really is of no consequence to me, and it's not going to change my mind on my living preferences.

When our house was built, it was sited on a 2 Acre lot just outside of town. That was 65 years ago.
Since the the town has expanded, we have gained Sewer and Water services, Cable and Gas.
20 years ago, when we bought, the house was pretty 'run down' cosmetically, but otherwise very sound.
We have done a lot of work over the years! But if we had bought NEW 20 years ago, many things like the Kitchen, Bathroom, Roof would likely be looking a little Tired anyway.
What we have gained is the large lot close to downtown, mature trees and plantings, a non 'Cookie Cutter' home and no Nasty Fad things things like Aluminium wiring or obsolete plastic water pipe.
We have also added value to our property, rather than just maintaing a 'newish' depreciating house.
Each to his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back