Old Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Recently started renting movies on the "Best 100 List".
http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx

I do the $6/month online Blockbuster rentel which entitles you to 5 movies/month if you drop the old ones off in the store. Already watched Citizen Kane, Casablanca, African Queen, Lawerence of Arabia, The Maltese Falcon, and The Treasure of Sierre Madre. Really entertaining. Anyone else into these classics?

My Wife and I are doing the same with netflix. Citizen Kane and gone with the wind were excellent. Casablanca and streetcar named desire were a little hard to keep interest in.

I love the old movies on Turner Classics, Fox Movie Channel, and AMC. I got hooked about two years ago when there was nothing on one Sunday afternoon. So I started watching this mystery called Laura, with Gene Tierney and Vincent Price. I was blown away by the outright quality of the acting compared today supposed actors. A few weeks later they had on The Big Sleep with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart. I was hooked on the old movies after that.

Bridge over river kwai. mocking bird, cuckoos, shane, rear window. too name a few Great list. i love to pick up snippets and scenes of the classics while surfing.

To Have and Have Not has to be one of the most erotic films of all time. Not graphic, but the body language between Bogart and Bacall practicaly steams . Walter Brennan is great too. Another Bogie movie I like is the Big Sleep, especially the scene in the bookstore with Bogie and Dorothy Malone. The Grapes of Wrath is a very powerful film. Arsenic and old Lace and Harvey are hilarious. IMHO, the best films ever were made between 1930 and 1950.

Quote:

The Grapes of Wrath is a very powerful film.

I just got West by Northwest and Grapes of Wrath is right after that.
cheers.gif

I wish I could tolerate old movies, but, I just can't. My brother can set and watch old rerun westerns all day long.

Yup, I've loved the good old movies as long as I can remember. Here's a few, and yes, there *are* several westerns.
grin.gif

Stagecoach; The Searchers; The Thin Man movies; The Man who Shot Liberty Valance(heck, anything directed by John Ford!); Double Indemnity.

Don't forget "River of No Return", Bob Mitchum & Marilyn Monroe. I've always loved that one.

I'll confess to being a sucker for the old Hope & Crosby "Road" movies, even though they were made long before my time. And if you've never seen Red Skelton in "The Fuller Brush Man"- well, you owe it to yourself to watch that sometime when you could use some laughs.
wink.gif

IMO, the best King Arthur movie ever made- "Excalibur", early 1980's. Beautiful photography, great story- and a young hot Helen Mirren as Morgana! WooHoo!
cool.gif

I've never been a big fan of Citizen Kane- go figure.
dunno.gif

I love those old movies, especially the late forties, fiftys, and early sixtys. Those old Bogie movies are great.

One movie missing from the best 100 list is "Twelve O'Clock High", with Gregory Peck. Great WWII flick.

I love many war movies like "Tora! Tora! Tora!". I love most war movies that was made before 1980's. My all time favorite is a 1950's movie called "The Defiant Ones". Old Dirty Harry films? Excellent.

Quote:

I love many war movies like "Tora! Tora! Tora!". I love most war movies that was made before 1980's. My all time favorite is a 1950's movie called "The Defiant Ones". Old Dirty Harry films? Excellent.

Don't forget Midway 1976 it was also well done.

Huge film buff myself. Positively a fan of the classics. Been known to drive down to Hollywood and see them on the big screen -- as they were meant to be seen -- for kicks. There's even a theater that shows only silent films near the Farmer's Market (favorite silents: The General, The Gold Rush, M, Metropolis, and It)

Interesting fact : almost HALF of all the movies made prior to WWII are gone - forever. Turned to dust in the cans with no usable copies ever made.

Have liked 'old movies' since I was a kid. A friend use to go to the movies a couple of times a week and I suggested renting and watching some classics. Started with 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre', and he commented that it was really good, that it started off slow and then built, kind of telling you a lot about the characters; 'yup', that's called character development, where acting in more important than mindless sex/violence/action :^)

Gregory Peck is excellent in 'Twelve O'Clock High', one that I watched as a kid and received as a birthday gift, and 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is another all time favorite that I also received as a gift. My daughters like 'Roman Holiday', although we had to watch it a few times and talk about it for them to understand and eventually like the ending.

Favorite war movies include the original 'All Quiet on the Western Front', 'Bridge on Rive Kwai', 'Twelve O'Clock High', 'Das Boat', 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Sand of Iwo Jima', 'The Wind an the Lion', 'Zulu' (one of Micheal Caine's first movies), 'Larwence of Arabia', 'Full Metal Jacket', 'Platoon', ......

Quote:

IMO, the best King Arthur movie ever made- "Excalibur", early 1980's. Beautiful photography, great story- and a young hot Helen Mirren as Morgana! WooHoo!
cool.gif

Right on Stuart, that is one of my favorite movies of all time. I am a big Arthurian Legend fan and think that movie is so dramatic, and the cinematography is spellbinding. If any of you guys have not seen it, check it out sometime, Joe

Quote:

Stalag 17 should be on that list. Don't bother with Sunset Boulevard, IMO. And rent Double Indemnity, what a great noir classic.

I saw stalag 17 on TCM just last week. I loved it alot. I also watch all the old war movies and yes excaliber is the best king auther film. (SP?)

Tarzan sure knew how to wrestle with those rubber crocodiles!!!!

Trivia about the Midway movie. Decent flick but the first time I saw it.... when the camera was "in" the diving Japanese dive bomber making a bombing run on the American carrier below..... an "angled deck" carrier was shown.

Hee hee.

WW2 carriers were all "straight decks." The angled deck carriers did not appear until the 1950s!!!!!

I like A Night At The Opera, Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, Night Of The Living Dead, Phantom Of The Opera, and the Stooges (well, those before Joe and Curley Joe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back