Old Craftsman electric hedge trimmer - blades stuck/jammed?

Hey all,

I'm working on the aforementioned trimmer for an elderly neighbor. I told her that it may not be fixable, and she's OK with that.

The motor engages when you switch it on, but the blades seem to be jammed. The blade assembly torques but the cutter does not advance. I don't see bent teeth or anything else externally that is preventing movement.

The model number 315.81522 cross-references to Ryobi as the manufacturer. I found a grainy exploded diagram here .

I split the case. This is the bottom of the blade/motor assembly:

IMG_8999.jpg

If I unstake and remove these 4 screws, am I then at the transmission? I think so, but this is my first hedge trimmer rodeo. Any gotchas beyond supporting the motor and the cutter assembly before removing the screws?

Thanks for any sage advice that you can offer.

I would try to lube the blades with a penetrating type of oil . Last year my wife bought a Stihl electric hedge trimmer and uses it to trim her roses and trees on the path way is it light and fairly capable. It is not as fast as a commercial trimmer, not even close but it is faster than hand trimming .

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Yes, throwing it in the bin is a possibility.

Penetrating oil is the first thing that I tried. It did not seem to help.

UPDATE: The problem turned out to be a bent tine on the blade. I straightened it, cleaned, lubed and reassembled the blade assembly, then cleaned and lubed the transmission and put it all back together. It runs and works like a champ.

Back