Old battery and charging system

I recently posted about my 8 year old battery that has given me no problems but is at the end of life. High internal resistance and low CCA.

My question is this. Does an old battery put more strain on the charging system and result in earlier failures?

Thanks!

As a secondary question, is there a point in the battery’s life that it should be replaced to minimize increased charging system wear and early failure? What parameter would be the most important? Internal resistance, decrease in CCA?

As a secondary question, is there a point in the battery’s life that it should be replaced to minimize increased charging system wear and early failure? What parameter would be the most important? Internal resistance, decrease in CCA?
I'd replace it early. Costco sells your Group 24 battery for $120. If you squeak an extra 1 year out of it, that saves you like $15 of life?

Only some dud batteries overload the alternator. The problem is knowing which ones.

If it has higher internal resistance, it will load the alt less but be worse at allowing itself to charge.

If it has an internal short, opposite-- and that will overload the alt.

What eljefino said all the way. The alternator will only give what the battery will accept at a given voltage. Alternators are regulated to give the amount of current required to maintain a specific voltage, not the other way around. Higher resistance in the battery will cause the alternator to put out less current.

8 years old you're on borrowed time anyhow. Don't take an alternator with it. While the battery or an alternator isn't that much, getting stranded because of them usually gets expensive and inconvenient.

I can't prove it, but I've had a few experiences that anecdotally showed me that nursing a marginal battery along kills an alternator sooner

Depending on how expensive and difficult to replace that alternator is, should dictate a preventative battery replacement IMO

Plus there's other factors, climate, older person who doesn't want to be stranded, rural use alone, etc

Costco and Walmart have cheap enough batteries
Your's is currently warning you the end is near
Up to you to listen 👂

Last edited:
your old battery has not only lost CCA but almost certainlt some capacity. To it is like having a smaller battery for your car.
This means the charging system will "fully charge" it in less time or will have to supply lower current charge.
Neither of these should damage the charging system from your problem description.

You have an underperforming starter battery which I would change rather than being stranded during the cold weather

I use a battery tender on my motorcycle after each ride,,,u can do . same on an auto battery, its helps
while your engine is running put your volt meter on it and see what your altenator is putting out,,,or go by auto zone and they will do a load check,,

Thanks for all your replies and insight. At my mechanic right now having it replaced. Didn’t want to mess with having the computers screwed up. Uses a connector to the obd to keep the systems energized

DieHard Gold 700CCA

Last edited:
Internally shorted cells INCREASE the load on the alternator, joules are being put into the battery that are being lost in the shorted cell. Plus, less cranking amps, AH capacity, etc., etc. When my carbon pile load & impedance testers agree, time for a new one! Or when the JC/Clarios battery starts leaking acid everywhere...

what @eljefino said previously... it depends on the wear/failure mode. anecdotally, I haven't seen many automotive batteries develop shorts in normal use. I think maybe when I was a teenager in the 80's my 1976 Ford Country Squire 9 passenger wagon with a 400 V8 that got 8mpg and made 165hp... perhaps that one had a shorted battery...

It definitely makes the alternator work harder. Could shorten it’s lifespan, or not(?)
How so? Higher internal impedance means it can’t absorb as much charge as fast. Thus lower current and lower thermal stresses on the alternator.

It still will have plenty of capability for any transients on the 12v system.

OP - a high resistance battery will not crank as easily, and drop to a lower voltage under load, which is more stressful under cranking. Otherwise I do t see how it’s a big issue.

I’m running a much older battery in a 1981 charging system with no issues.

Only some dud batteries overload the alternator. The problem is knowing which ones.

If it has higher internal resistance, it will load the alt less but be worse at allowing itself to charge.

If it has an internal short, opposite-- and that will overload the alt.
Yep an internal short would be a bad scenario 😯 I saw an internally shorted battery literally smoke an old school battery charger in a big way... I can't imagine what it could've done to a charging system 😱

Back