OK you guys win - It's a good BBQ machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALDI last week had an offset smoker/BBQ...I bought it, built it, and did what I do with every new BBQ, undercook a whole chicken, then spitchcock it and cook over high heat to get rid of the red thighs...I do it every time can never get the first one right.

5 days later...chicken breast brined for 24 hours (with a little KNO3), and some plain store bough pork sausage.

Coconut charcoal, and some sticks. A bit of bourbon barrel chips and hickory.

The ALDI machine even has welded steel wheels...

I was disappointed in my Brinkmann bullet smoker...time cost adjusted was around 3 times the price for 1/4 the metal...had to drill air holes in it to get it going properly.

This functioned perfectly...yes, I reversed the flue to get the smoke away from the patio.

I now understand the heating zones available close to the firebox, away, and the ability to grill directly anywhere I so choose.

Last edited:
What time should I show up for dinner?
20.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wonder if the same unit is available internationally.

Not sure...package was 90lb.

But the way that it was packaged really impressed me...the upper and lower shells, the firebox shells, the trays and legs.

It was the most condensed, least foam packed thing that I have ever unwrapped.

I found amazingribs.com to be a great site if you're interested!

P.S. is that a weber charcoal bbq to the right? You could easily use that to smoke food using the snake method
smile.gif

Also best advice I have..get a thermometer that measures grill temp and one ghat inserts into the meat you cook. Will allow you to ensure good temp inside bbq and be able to know its well cooked! And an instant temp thermometer. It made me realize I used to overcook most meats. The meat I enjoy now is more tender and juicy.

You should try just putting charcoal in the smoke box and chicken in the upper grille.. 4 hrs or so at 100*C.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Shannow
You mate, just let me know

I'll bring some FOSTERS beer too
smile.gif

Nope, that's an insult to the host...actually, not sure you can even buy Fosters here...will check it out today

I designed my own diffuser plate to even out the heat zones and dramatically improve both fuel efficiency and smoke-to-food contact in my 24" diameter trailer smoker. You can do a much reduced size diffuser plate for your patio unit if you choose to later. Makes longer smoke sessions such as pork shoulders and beef briskets a better experience IMO. With my trailer mounted unit I can still produce varied heat zones by adjusting the elevation of the trailer toungue, opposite the firebox. Handy when cooking poultry, especially a final crisping of the skin.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Shannow
You mate, just let me know

I'll bring some FOSTERS beer too
smile.gif

I haven't seen Fosters in Oz for years. It's our international beer, like Stella Artois, Heineken, etc. More sold over seas to represent the country, rather than commonly drunk within the country.

Shannow, the food looks most excellent.

I'm pretty sure I saw the same one in the ALDI in Toms River, so probably all over.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

I'm pretty sure I saw the same one in the ALDI in Toms River, so probably all over.

Were the wheel steel ?

This is the first one I've seen without placky wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back