Ok, you guys get to pick an oil filter for me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading Bobs thread where he tested some oil filters I am rethinking using PureOne filters(these are what I normally use).

Here's what I have- 95 Camaro Z28, fairly heavily modified. I have all the bolt on parts such as an intake, headers and high flow exhaust etc. I also have ported heads and a full roller valvetrain with a larger cam. The bottom end of the motor is stock, with 127k miles.

Now for a newbie assumption, and please correct me if I'm wrong- my car uses a pressure bypass valve, but it's in the block. Meaning I don't have to worry about a bypass valve in the filter *but* a restrictive filter would cause the oiling system to go into bypass mode more often. This would make a restrictive filter a very bad choice.

^Did I get that right?
tongue.gif

So I need to find something that isn't restrictive, yet filters well. I have heard that K&N oil filters do both of these things well, but I can't get them locally, and really don't want to order one every time I need an oil change. I can't find any ACdelco ultraguard filters around here anymore, did they stop making them
confused.gif

I was even thinking about using the regular line of ACdelco filters, but I don't know much about them.

I guess what I can pick from filterwise is ACdelco, Bosch, Deutsche, Fram, Mobil 1, Napa, Purolator, STP, Wix.......

So, you're mission is to pick an oil filter for me. I will provide you with more details on my car if you need them. That is all
smile.gif

Thanks
John

I strongly endorse Patman's recommendation, but if you just don't want to go K&N, espeically since you change your oil at 3K, there is always NAPA Gold.

John, I'm sure there are other good high flow filters available too, but K&N is one that is not too hard to find compared to some of the racing type ones out there.

You're right, the first oil change after a heads/cam package is not the best one to analyze, the next one after that is better.

I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 5w30 in an LT1 at all, it's too thin IMHO. I'd recommend something with a viscosity closer to 12cst at 100c. Amsoil 5w30 would work very well for instance.

Donaldson and Fleetguard can be found at truck parts stores. Look in your phone book under "Truck Parts - New" and you'll probably find at least one store you never knew about. Some of these stores don't wish to deal with the general public and can be downright hostile, others will sell to anyone with green money.

Donaldson & Fleetguard, [second Dan4510, strongly] for the reasons given above.

Baldwin HPG series if one fits.

As to fleet parts stores, never had a problem with any of them, in fact service is far and beyond any auto parts place. Fleetguard is owned by CUMMINS, and DONALDSON is available at any Detroit Diesel dealer. I usually grab BALDWIN at a GP fleet service store.

All you need is the part numbers to ensure quick & good service. I find that if I need to order, most places are excellent about calling me within the week to pick up my order (broken lot, not full case).

You can find the Supertech at you local wal-mart. Both It and the Bosch are made by Champion Labs, and there are plenty of topics on both these filters, just do a search.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Donaldson or fleetguard. Synthetic media that filters down to 7 microns. 1psi drop at 10gpm flow.

Donaldson number P166564
Fleetguard number lf3488

Dan

John, even though you don't want to order the K&Ns, I still believe they will be your best bet.

I too have a 95 LT1 f-body (a Formula) and I found the K&N to show much better oil pressure behavior than either the AC Delco or the Wix/NAPA Gold/Carquest premiums. At redline with the other filters I get a 5-10psi oil pressure spike, but with the K&N, I get no spike at all, showing it flows the best.

My LT1 is bone stock, so with your's being heavily modified, you'd want better oil flow even more.

You're correct, we've got the bypass built into our blocks, but a restrictive filter will cause this to kick in more often, which is probably what happens when I don't use the K&N filters.

Just find a good supplier for the K&Ns and then buy 6 at a time.

I hope you plan on doing oil analysis on your car, I am dying to see more LT1 reports on here so I have something to compare to!

Tim and Dan, thanks for the replies, where could I find the filters your suggested?

Patman- is the K&N that good? I know summit carries them, but I don't know of anywhere else. I know some local parts stores carry the K&N air filters, but haven't seen anyone local with the oil filters.

I change my oil religiously at 3000 miles, and I know that most people on here probably do not. I just the heads and cam, so maybe this oil change is not the best one to analyze, but would like to have my next one done.

The oil will have lots of highway miles on it, and some racing(drag) as well, so it should be interesting. I'll see if I can dig up a K&N filter. What are your thoughts on doing an oil analysis with mobil 1 5w30 and a K&N filter? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any other suggestions on what filter to use?

John

You didn't say what number you use. If it is something popular that Advance auto, etc. stock, an regular AC might give you the best sq in/$ ratio. Even better if you can slip a PF 52 in where it calls for the smaller PF 47.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
You didn't say what number you use. If it is something popular that Advance auto, etc. stock, an regular AC might give you the best sq in/$ ratio. Even better if you can slip a PF 52 in where it calls for the smaller PF 47.

The LT1 F-bodies use the PF25, although I believe that's now replaced by the PF454? The best choice is to go with a bigger one, which in AC Delco form is the PF1218 (or the PF35, although the 35 doesn't have an ADBV)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 5w30 in an LT1 at all, it's too thin IMHO. I'd recommend something with a viscosity closer to 12cst at 100c. Amsoil 5w30 would work very well for instance.

I'm still learning here, so I have no idea what you just said
smile.gif
Would Mobil 1 10w30 be better? I understand viscosity, but not the measure that you used.

John

John, when a viscosity of an oil is listed as 5w30 or 10w30, the 30 part means that the oil must have a hot viscosity (at 100C) of between 9.3 centistokes and 12.5. Mobil 1 falls on the low end of this range, around 9.7 to 9.8. Both their 5w30 and 10w30 have the same hot viscosity. The 5w30 is only thinner on a cold start, as it's viscosity at 40C is lower and it has a better cold cranking number than their 10w30.

An oil like Amsoil is formulated on the thicker end of the 30wt range, so it's around 11.9 cst at 100c. IMHO, this will protect the LT1 engine better, as it's clearances are looser enough that the thinner oils don't provide enough of a "cushion". Also keep in mind that when your oil temperatures get hotter (230F plus for instance) the oil will thin out even more, so this is why I am not a big fan of Mobil 1 in hard driven cars. It might work very well in a tighter clearance daily driven import vehicle, but in the LT1 and LS1 it just wouldn't be my #1 choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back