OK to use Supertech 80w90 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've decided to handle some maintenance items for my Mom's 2002 LX470 with 41,000 miles. Other than oil changes, no maintenance has been performed on this vehicle. I am currently in the process of changing all that as I want this rather expensive vehicle to last for her.

So, since I'm not charging my Mom and the costs will come out of my pocket, I've decided to go cheap and buy some Supertech 80w90 gear oil as a temporary swap for her front/rear differentials and transfer case. I plan to leave it in there until 60,000 mile mark and swap with Amsoil SVG and be done with it. I'm waiting simply because I want to switch to Amsoil on several vehicles at one time. Well, mine and Dad's are not due for some time and I prefer one large order to several small orders and I don't want have to purchase a preferred membership more than once.

Will the Supertech be OK for my application? I know it's not the best choice but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something foolish.

what do the diffys call for? what does the tcase call for? if it calls for GL5 75w90 for the diffys then yeah it will be fine for that short amount of time

Last edited:
If it is a GL5 it will be fine. I use valvoline syn blend 80w90 in my RX330 AWD diffs and run it 50-60k with no problem. My manual says 80k for the diff OCI. If you use a 75w90 in a Lexus/Toyota diff it may start whining. My neighbor learned that with his RX330 AWD and went back to 80w90. FWIW you should be able to run the amsoil 100k but make sure it is the 80w90.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikeg5
what do the diffys call for? what does the tcase call for? if it calls for GL5 75w90 for the diffys then yeah it will be fine for that short amount of time

Verbatim from Owner's Manual:

Transfer: Gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE 75W-90

Differential: Hypoid gear oil API GL-5, SAE 90 (for above 0 F)

Hmmm, maybe I should be using a GL-4 for the transfer case?

Originally Posted By: PT1
If it is a GL5 it will be fine. I use valvoline syn blend 80w90 in my RX330 AWD diffs and run it 50-60k with no problem. My manual says 80k for the diff OCI. If you use a 75w90 in a Lexus/Toyota diff it may start whining. My neighbor learned that with his RX330 AWD and went back to 80w90. FWIW you should be able to run the amsoil 100k but make sure it is the 80w90.

do you have UOA's to prove synblend lasts that long?? seems too long to me.

I bet you owe your mom more than the cost of a few bottle of oil. I'm sure the Supertech would be fine, but why not run something your comfortable with since it would likly be less than $10 difference?

Originally Posted By: PT1

do you have UOA's to prove synblend lasts that long?? seems too long to me.

No, but I have 142,000 miles on them and they are quiet as a mouse. The book says 80k with dino GL5 80w90.

Originally Posted By: rondoggnuts

Verbatim from Owner's Manual:

Transfer: Gear oil API GL-4 or GL-5, SAE 75W-90

Differential: Hypoid gear oil API GL-5, SAE 90 (for above 0 F)

Hmmm, maybe I should be using a GL-4 for the transfer case?
nah, a GL-5 should protect better. They say GL-4 because there's no hyploid gear in your t/c and that's the minimum that will protect the gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back