Oily drops from grease gun mobil 1. Is it breaking down ??

Was greasing my snow blower today. Mobil 1 red grease inside and once again constant drips of red light weight oil coming out. Is the grease just breaking down ?? I go thru 3 tubes a year so its not inside the grease gun for more than 6 months ever.. whats going on ??

Its a huge mess to keep cleaning it up
The only grease I haven't seen lose its base oil is the Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric greases.

There is something else I don't understand about greases. Most all of them list a, "Drip Point". This is given in degrees Fahrenheit. Many are up around 400+ F. Again, I'm assuming this is the temperature they "drip" at, or melt. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

If that's the case, why can't they last a single Summer in a hot garage, without leaking and dripping all over the place? My garage gets hot. But I can't bake a meatloaf in it.

There is something else I don't understand about greases. Most all of them list a, "Drip Point". This is given in degrees Fahrenheit. Many are up around 400+ F. Again, I'm assuming this is the temperature they "drip" at, or melt. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

If that's the case, why can't they last a single Summer in a hot garage, without leaking and dripping all over the place? My garage gets hot. But I can't bake a meatloaf in it.
That would be 'drop-point'...it's not drip-point.

That would be 'drop-point'...it's not drip-point.

It pretty much means the same thing.

"The dropping point of a grease is the temperature at which it passes from a semi-solid to a liquid state. The dropping point test determines the cohesiveness of the oil and thickener of a grease. ... The dropping point of a grease is the temperature at which it passes from a semi-solid to a liquid state".

The Proper Term is "Drop Point." Here is a typical Grease Property's Example:

Drop Point Comparisons with respect to thickener:

A more thorough explanation of "Drop Point":

A grease is basically a base oil in a thickener in which the thickener surrounds the oil globules. That is, the oil resides within the "interstitial" spaces of the thickener.

The drop point is defined as above.

The "Bleeding" from grease is due to a temperature rise such that the grease thickener liquifies and no longer serves as a "retainer" for the oil. That is, the oil starts to separate from its thickener.

Again, the Polymeric greases are the only ones I have seen that do not "bleed."

Last edited:
If you have any brand grease, and the oil separates, better stir it back into the thickened portion or throw the grease away.

If you use it, it will be out of grade. Also lose valuable properties it once had when new.

I noticed that with Mobil One especially. I am now using Lucas Red n Tacky in one gun, and Mystik JT6 Blue, semi-syn. lo-temp. in another gun. Maybe I could place the gun in a plastic bag with a shop rag, and in my freezer?

I agree Mobil 1 synthetic grease bleeds oil from your gun at warm temperatures but it cannot be explained by dropping point numbers. It’s dropping point is 300 deg C.

42DC371F-55B1-4C88-BD30-8ACFBB67B8E6.png

its just M1 grease. people will say its great grease blah blah.. but its messy.
and all the other greases work good too.
Havent used M1 grease in years.. have 1/10 or less the mess with other brand name greases.

To my understanding that's actually a good sign. Grease as we all know is a thickened oil, but that oil is actually what's doing the lubrication. The sign that it's bleeding out would indicate it will also release from it's thickening agent easier under actual use. It's a bit of an inconvenience to use though.

I would suggest to store your grease gun with the plunger retracted and laying flat. That will take the pressure off of the grease which should limit separation and if it does separate, laying it flat will give a better chance that when you do use it, you won't pump a bunch of thin oil and/or complex base with reduced oil.

It’s not a good sign.

You do not want the oil to be separated from the thickener. The thickener is a carrying agent for the oil. Without the oil in it, the thickener no longer has the ability to perform to its standards in several tests.

Synthetic greases tend to have a more significant bleed out issues that non synthetic. Which is why they’re typically not recommended still, unless in specific environments.

It pretty much means the same thing.

"The dropping point of a grease is the temperature at which it passes from a semi-solid to a liquid state. The dropping point test determines the cohesiveness of the oil and thickener of a grease. ... The dropping point of a grease is the temperature at which it passes from a semi-solid to a liquid state".

Right, the drop point measures the temperature at which the thickener begins to flow readily. That says nothing for the temperature at which the oil will separate from the thickener. Chemically, the oil and thickener in any grease is a mixture, so at any temperature where the oil is fluid it will precipitate eventually (the key word being "eventually"). Just make sure you use the grease quickly enough to minimize oil loss. This time span will be different for all greases, you just need to find the one that has the chemical properties you need and which has a bleed-out time compatible with how often you go through a tube.

Was greasing my snow blower today. Mobil 1 red grease inside and once again constant drips of red light weight oil coming out. Is the grease just breaking down ?? I go thru 3 tubes a year so its not inside the grease gun for more than 6 months ever.. whats going on ??

Its a huge mess to keep cleaning it up
The better-quality grease does liquify a bit. Just take the pressure of the gun and that will help.

Back