Oils that cool better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since the other thread was closed for some unknown reason, back onto why a SAE 30 actually cools better than say a 0w30.

Here's some bread-crumb evidence, sample A and B cool better than C D & E.
ref: https://www.scholarsresearchlibrary...using-specific-heat-capacity-and-cooling-.pdf
substances with high cooling rates are good coolants and lubricants

Now look at the formulation of the oils. Hmmmm, interesting.

Maybe later I show why SAE 30 cools better than any xW30.

These "early days of the integrated circuit engine" must be persistant. Very basic research, this satiric trouvaille. Take your time to look into it before you later may show.

Well, since the other thread was closed for some unknown reason, back onto why a SAE 30 actually cools better than say a 0w30.

I’m waiting for that info. Should be real, real interesting too

Isn't it because straight oils have no vii(vm) so they can handle heat better and shear less. In case of mowers you also don't run them in winter so no W rating is required.
basically they handle heat better and not necessarily cool better.

Per Figure 6, the only one that stands out for heat transfer rate is Oil B - all other oils tested have lines on top of each other.

The paper has zero data on how that might effect actual parts within an actual engine using each of these oils. My bet is you couldn't measure the difference in real use - only the super small difference in the lab.

The paper says absolutely nothing about the formulation of the oil or concludes whey Oil B has a slightly better heat transfer rate.

The paper is only comparing 20W-50 oils to each other. It has zero data comparing SAE 30 to 0W-30 as you seem to be focused on. More trying to connect the dots when there are no dots. ;)

You sure its not a secret of "nucular" engineering?

I have yet to see you show or actually "prove" anything.

This paper you linked to shows nothing of the sort as your claim and I go back to my original question you have evaded to this point.

What are you really doing here?

The paper keeps saying that the oil's viscosity and specific heat capacity is a factor in the cooling performance.
"The cooling rate reflects the degree of fall of temperature with time. This hinges on the viscosity and of course, the specific heat capacity."

YET, the paper never showed the measured viscosity of these test oils to each other. If they would have measured the viscosity of each at 100C and compared them to the measured cooling performance, then it just may show that a more viscous oil will actually cool better than a less viscous oil.

Last edited:
the linked pdf throws out a spam warning on eset nod32.

Attachments

• whattt.JPG
    whattt.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 25
Wrong perspective. Instead think of it as which oil would permit/generate less friction/heat than another. Oils with lower surface tension, lower viscosity, and lower pressure-viscosity coefficient tend to generate less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back