Oil with detergents

Hey guys, I have a 2005 honda crv (150500KM) that I purchased from my father in law. He kept detailed log book for his maintenance. I've noticed there are a few oil changes were the interval is 7000kms, but the time was 2 years in between changes. The brand of oil is mixed, I guess he used whatever was on sale. Some conventional oil, but mostly synthetic oils. Past 6 years he hasn't been driving it, reason why he sold it.

Should I be worried about the 2 year interval? I'm worried if there is sludge or crud in the engine. Is it recommended to run PP (read on here it has detergents) for 4000kms twice? This engine apparently has no issues with oil brands so I would just use whatever is on sale at the time of OC after the PP. (Maybe do a 8000km OC with a FRAM ultra filter)

OR

just do regular 8000km OC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I have a 2005 honda crv (150500KM) that I purchased from my father in law. He kept detailed log book for his maintenance. I've noticed there are a few oil changes were the interval is 7000kms, but the time was 2 years in between changes. The brand of oil is mixed, I guess he used whatever was on sale. Some conventional oil, but mostly synthetic oils. Past 6 years he hasn't been driving it, reason why he sold it.

Should I be worried about the 2 year interval? I'm worried if there is sludge or crud in the engine. Is it recommended to run PP (read on here it has detergents) for 4000kms twice? This engine apparently has no issues with oil brands so I would just use whatever is on sale at the time of OC after the PP. (Maybe do a 8000km OC with a FRAM ultra filter)

OR

screw the cleaning idea and just do regular 8000km OC?
Well first off, all fully-formulated motor oils have detergents. In order to meet a current API license they must have them.

Second, two years with 7000 km is nothing to be concerned with. Your worries of "sludge" or "crud" are not founded on anything you've seen or actually viewed in the engine, correct? Only an imagination? It is highly unlikely the engine is sludged at all.

No issues except phantom ones.

All oil has detergents. Some oil brands are better than others and some product lines within brands are better than others but they all meet standards for detergent and acid formation resistance.

Just change it with what ever you like and don’t worry. 7,000KM is an easy run for any decent oil.

Thank you kindly for the quick replies! PP is on sale at the moment it's $26 5L jug. I'll stock up on those!

One thing that I do on my fleet, is add some SeaFoam to the crankcase about 500 miles before oil change. Picture tells tge story on my '05 BMW @ 94k 20200922_150324.jpg

All oil has detergents. Some oil brands are better than others and some product lines within brands are better than others but they all meet standards for detergent and acid formation resistance.

Just change it with what ever you like and don’t worry. 7,000KM is an easy run for any decent oil.
Is there a list (matrix) of oil make/model/brand vs their detergent amount vs better cleaning? I have a few farm tractors that could use a oil that cleans better.

One thing that I do on my fleet, is add some SeaFoam to the crankcase about 500 miles before oil change. Picture tells tge story on my '05 BMW @ 94kView attachment 30992

Is it just the angle of the picture, or are the tops of the cam lobes really that bad?

My 2001 E39 M5 was exceptionally clean and I ran M1 0w-40, I assume prior to my ownership it was BMW 5w-30 in it.
M5driveway02.jpg

OR

just do regular 8000km OC?
Regular OCI's with a quality lubricant should keep the engine exceptionally clean. Diluting the oil with a solvent or anything else that might negatively impact its performance is generally not a good idea unless there is a specific issue you are trying to deal with.

Old shot of my old 302. Engine had 332,000Km on it IIRC, heads would have had around 80-100K on them, rest of the engine was this clean inside. I ran Mobil 1 in various grades in it, eventually settling on M1 0w-40:

rockers.jpg

This was a stock 302 HO that we picked up that I swapped into an F-150, had spent its life on AMSOIL:
f150swap05.jpg

It's all about the dirt from environment entering and mixing with the oil. An engine running in a clean room should never get dirty inside, etc. The last few pics posted looks to me like the engine package is doing a good job of keeping dirt from entering into the inside of the engine.

It's all about the dirt from environment entering and mixing with the oil. An engine running in a clean room should never get dirty inside, etc. The last few pics posted looks to me like the engine package is doing a good job of keeping dirt from entering into the inside of the engine.

Quality air filtration and proper maintenance.

Back