Consolidating down to 1 oil for 3 cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been lurking around this forum for several weeks but finally decided to post after I pretty much gave up trying to figure this out on my own.

What I am hoping to do is consolidate down to 1 oil for all 3 of my cars. Not stuck on any one particular brand, but had been using Mobil 1 in my previous Imapala SS with good results.

I will apologize in advance, this is a fairly long post...

First car, new to us 2008 Infinity FX35. Had 13k on it when we got it 6 weeks ago. I changed the oil at 15.5k with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic just because I didn't really trust what the independent dealer had changed it with (or even if they had change it). Just a little over a thousand miles into this OC. Like I mentioned, I have been lurking on this forum for several weeks and based on what I am reading about the Nissan VQ engines and Mobil 1, I am definitely scared that I don't have the right oil in here for long-term results. We do several 10-15 mile trips each day in this vehicle and maybe some longer 30-40 mile trips on occasion. Since the Infinity's OLM simply appears to be based on mileage and no other factors like GM's does, I currently have it set to a 5k OCI.

Second car is my 17 y/o son's, 2004 impala with 3.8v6 with 85k. I have owned this car for a few years since it had roughly 25k on it and up unti this past OC I had pretty much used whatever 5-30 dino was on sale when it was time to change (based soley on OLM) and during that time it used roughly 1 Qt per OC. This past OC I switched to some PP that I got on sale for pretty much nothing and I am roughly 5k into it and as of last weekend it had not used a single drop. So needless to say I'm pretty pleased with these results, whether it was a simple change to synthetic that helped or the PP specifically I have no idea. Now given this is driven almost exclusively by a teenage boy, I'm looking for something that will give this car a fighting chance to last a few more years.

The 3rd and final vehicle will be a 2003 Silverado 4x4 with 5.3 and aaround 100k. This is actually my father-in-law's truck for past several years and he is itching to get a new truck and is pratically giving this one to me, so it's hard to turn down. I don't know of the OC history in great detail but I can pretty much say without a doubt that he simply drove it to the OLM said it was time to change and then took it to the local mechanic for a change. Guessing that guy put in whatever 5-30 dino and filter he had lying around. This truck will get similar usage pattern to car #1, multiple 10-15 mile trips daily and maybe occasional use (once or twice a year) hauling a pop-up camper or other small trailer.

So hopefully with all that background you all can help point me down to a single oil to use in all 3 and maybe even a suggested OCI for the FX35 based on usage.

Really appreciate any assistance.

thanks
Mike

Any brand name synthetic 5w-30 should be fine for all three.

Considering that you've been pleased with PP in unit 2, that would work for me (that's what I use in my Silverado, which is similar to your unit 3).

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Agree with the above post, but I do prefer the Pennzoil Platinum oils.

Happy motoring.
19.gif

Yep, any good 5W-30 synthetic will do what you want. Since you're already familiar with PP and M1, choose one of those and go with it. Using either oil with 5k OCIs will give you the long term results you want with your rigs, including your Infiniti.

Many of us watch for sales/rebates and pay much less than retail for these oils.

Welcome to BITOG :)

One of the better VQ UOA's I have seen was with Valvoline Durablend and a 5000 mile oci. For some reason the VQ series is finicky about synthetics...

I know Valvoline Durablend and Pennzoil YB(another great UOA in a VQ) will work for you. And I know these will work in your Chevys. Just a humble reccomendation.

Last edited:
PP on sale is a great deal. For 5k oci's you could use any quality conventional oil to get the same life out of these vehicles. Your choice
grin2.gif

Thank you all for the great and quick responses!

Camu, thats definitely the kind of info I'm looking for specifically on the VQ engine. I mean honestly the cost of me fixing or replacing the engine in the FX35 would be more than either one of my chevy's cost me....

thanks again!
Mike

VQ's love GC.

Search some old posts from member "EKPOLK" in the UOA section. His G35 had some stellar UOA's on it.

LS based gm small blocks do too - like the 5.3 in the Silverado. Check UOA's from "PATMAN" in the UOA section.

I'll rock the boat. If you ask anyone what oil to use, always synthetic. My advice is to pick a good quality 5w30 conventional. All the people here rave about the quality of todays conventionals but will almost never romend them to someone.

I'll rock the boat. If you ask anyone what oil to use, always synthetic. My advice is to pick a good quality 5w30 conventional. All the people here rave about the quality of todays conventionals but will almost never recomend them to someone else... oops...sorry, didn't mean to post this twice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
VQ's love GC.

Search some old posts from member "EKPOLK" in the UOA section. His G35 had some stellar UOA's on it.

LS based gm small blocks do too - like the 5.3 in the Silverado. Check UOA's from "PATMAN" in the UOA section.

Good point. GC is a great oil and is on sale right now at Pep Boys, $27.99 for 5 quarts and a filter.
thumbsup2.gif

If you are worried about the cost of fixing the FX35, don't worry about what fancy oil to use and just stick to the 3750mi interval while you are under warranty.

For the impala i would use whatever the cheapest conv. 5w30 you can find. The sad truth is it's likely going to get crashed before the engine gives up.

Originally Posted By: JT1
For the impala i would use whatever the cheapest conv. 5w30 you can find. The sad truth is it's likely going to get crashed before the engine gives up.

Dude. That's a bit rude to assume that.

I never had either my first or second car in a body shop for collision damage.

That would have included my first several years as a licensed driver.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
If you are worried about the cost of fixing the FX35, don't worry about what fancy oil to use and just stick to the 3750mi interval while you are under warranty.

The FX only requires a 6mo/7500 mile oil change interval to maintain the warranty.

Nissan is recommending the "Genuine Nissan Ester Oil" for the newer VQ35/37 engines, so it'd be wise to use that or a top-quality synthetic in your FX.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: JT1

Dude. That's a bit rude to assume that.

I never had either my first or second car in a body shop for collision damage.

That would have included my first several years as a licensed driver.

Ok, its a well known fact that teens are the most dangerous drivers.

Also, were not talking about you're first car are we?

What some call rude others (myself) call reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back