Oil Temperature Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Does anyone have oil temp info on a tow rig? When I tow 6300 lbs with my 6 liter gas engine at highway speed in my 3/4 ton, I typically run at 3500 rpm which I suspect is warming up the oil some.

Does it not allow you to track it? My Jeep shows it in the cluster or on the UConnect screen, the RAM the same.

I just get trans temp and coolant temp on my 2008 3/4 ton Burb. The water temp is always at 210 F and the trans temp varies with the slope in the mountain roads. It has a factory oil cooler integral with the rad, and a factory auxiliary trans cooler in the shape of a small rad. Are you towing anything?

Last edited:
Does anyone have oil temp info on a tow rig? When I tow 6300 lbs with my 6 liter gas engine at highway speed in my 3/4 ton, I typically run at 3500 rpm which I suspect is warming up the oil some.

if towing, I would stay on the thicker or higher hths side as oppose to fuel economy oils (a5/b5). The oil temp will go a little higher but your engine will be better protected. I wouldn't use a thinner oil for the sake of a few degrees cooler oil.

I just get trans temp and coolant temp on my 2008 3/4 ton Burb. The water temp is always at 210 F and the trans temp varies with the slope in the mountain roads. It has a factory oil cooler integral with the rad, and a factory auxiliary trans cooler in the shape of a small rad. Are you towing anything?

We tow a boat a few times a year, and the 4-wheelers periodically.

If your oil cooler is cooled by coolant and not air (most are) oil temp will usually not get a whole lot higher than the water temps. If you are 210 coolant temp I bet the oil temp is not more than about 220.

I tow a 6000 lbs load with a 2002 Tahoe 5.3L. I use Driven LS30 5w-30 which has an HTHS of 3.46 cP and volatility at 6%. Combined with a Wix XP or Fram Ultra filter, I change it every 10k miles with around 2500-3500 of those miles as towing miles.

I use Red Line D4 in the 4L60E with a secondary cooler.

I was able to thrash the engine around a bit today as I'm out of break-in period now. I couldn't get oil to break 100 deg C, it got up to the high 90's and that was it. Looking at my oil temp gauge it has a circular shape to it, and the mid point seems to be around 90 degrees, I guess as it gets really high the indicator will rotate around to the higher end of the gauge.

Originally Posted by JS2000
Looking at my oil temp gauge it has a circular shape to it, and the mid point seems to be around 90 degrees, I guess as it gets really high the indicator will rotate around to the higher end of the gauge.

If the system as been designed with any sensitivity and accuracy the temp gauge should move accordingly.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by JS2000
Looking at my oil temp gauge it has a circular shape to it, and the mid point seems to be around 90 degrees, I guess as it gets really high the indicator will rotate around to the higher end of the gauge.

If the system as been designed with any sensitivity and accuracy the temp gauge should move accordingly.

Most "analog" gauges nowadays have a dummy zone. If the temp is between say 75 and 105 it will just stay centered in the middle. Digital gauges or readouts will usually be more accurate.

^^^ Yep, automakers usually don't like drivers seeing gauge needles moving much away from the "normal zone" unless it becomes extreme conditions beyond normal.

That's why I love dashboard layouts like my Corvette, it'll give me a digital readout for everything right to the exact temperature. It lists coolant temperature, oil temperature, oil pressure, transmission temperature, and each individual tire pressure. The only thing missing that I wish it would show would be a digital display for the oil level. It does have a tire temperature readout too, but it isn't as precise, it just shows either frozen, cold, cool, normal, warm and hot (but with no corresponding temperatures)

^^^ Yep, the Corvette engineers definately know how to properly instrument a sports car.

My Hellcat is the first car with such features. I always pull up my guages while driving...seems similar to Corvette. Mine also has oil pressure PSI, intake air temperature and Supercharger coolant temp. Pretty cool to have since I like monitoring things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back