Oil recommendations for GM 2001 5.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 89 gmc 1500 that has been ls swapped with a 2001 5.3l and 4l60e trans.

It has approximately 9.8 to 1 compression, aluminum heads, and a .552 .549 camshaft. This will be it's fourth oil change since I rebuilt the motor and trans 8 months ago and I wanted to switch over to a full synthetic oil.

Truck weighs 4000 pounds, it's a daily driver and a weekend warrior on the drag strip. I drive it very hard, wide open throttle 0 to 100 mph at least 4 times a week then if I goto the track 4 or so passes.

I comute 40 miles round trip, I live in tulsa oklahoma, I cruise at around 2k rpm 70 mph 4th gear locked.

Not sure what other info you may need but I'll chime in when asked questions. Could also use a filter recommendations currently running valvoline conventional 10w30, with standard a.c. Delco filter.

Was leaning towards royal purple but I don't have a brand preference I just want the best protection I can afford for my investment about 100 bucks per oil change is all I want to spend half of that is where I'd like to be. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the synthetics off the shelf at Wally world in the 10w-30 line would work well. As for filters depends on how long an oil drain you want to run. AC Delco is good as well as NAPA and Car Quest house brands. ST at Walmart for short intervals. Fram XG for longer intervals.

Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol Edge Titanium 0W40 for your driving and racing style. GM calls for a 0W40 in Canada in Europe for Corvettes, just not in the U.S. where each 10th of a MPG matters to the overall corporate EPA averages. It's like $25 at Wal-Mart when bought in 5qt jugs.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol Edge Titanium 0W40 for your driving and racing style. GM calls for a 0W40 in Canada in Europe for Corvettes, just not in the U.S. where each 10th of a MPG matters to the overall corporate EPA averages. It's like $25 at Wal-Mart when bought in 5qt jugs.

Yep

That's a pretty stout cam. What we really need to know is what are the valve spring pressures ...

But, any of the modern hydro-cracked "synthetics" will do fine. You beat on the motor, but that engine does not beat on oil very hard. I'd prolly run an oversized hydraulic system filter w/o by-pass. the extra media area will do full flow on cold/cool oil. The no by-pass means all the oil goes through the filter, all the time. So if anything starts shedding metal, it'll get caught. Cut you filters open and check for bits...

Add a magnetic drain plug. If it comes out fuzzy with steel bits - stop and find out why ... You did not say who's cam and more important, who's lifters?

Delo400LE 5W-40, Rotella T6 5W-40, etc. They'll keep up with the heat. They are cheap enough to change often. And with the max effort passes, you'll need to be on top of the internal condition. Cutting filters and checking that drain plug fairly often will tell you if it's happy, or getting ready to strand you ...

Last edited:
We recommend either Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Your 2001 GMC calls for an API rated 5w-30 (preferred) and a 10w-30 engine oil if your ambient temperature is above 0 degrees F. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum exceeds your OEM requirements and will give your daily driver the protection you need and your track ready machine the performance you want. - The Pennzoil Team

Btr stage 4 truck cam, blue ls6 springs, were brand new, ls7 lifters, trick flow hardened 7.4 pushrods I don't know the spring rate I bought a cam kit from Brian tooley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back