Oil recommendations for 2007 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 855R
I've never seen the GC, good stuff you all say? A 30 weight is probably just fine. I'll pull the spec charts

Don't bother looking at Castrol spec sheets. They are fairly useless. GC itself, on the other hand, is a great product.

Some manufacturers sheets can be pretty weak and show just about nothing. So is GC the same as regular castrol but with German rating? MB, Porsche, BMW, ETC...

I've never seen the GC, good stuff you all say? A 30 weight is probably just fine. I'll pull the spec charts

Don't bother looking at Castrol spec sheets. They are fairly useless. GC itself, on the other hand, is a great product.

Some manufacturers sheets can be pretty weak and show just about nothing. So is GC the same as regular castrol but with German rating? MB, Porsche, BMW, ETC...
until recently it was their flagship "Euro Spec" oil which competed with M1 0w40. Castrol now also has an 0w40 but I don't remember if is LL01. Your naturally aspirated I6 will do fine on any LL01 oil. Go with cheapest (usually dealer oil if you don't want to wait for sales).

Last edited:
My second and third choices for any BMW engine that makes good power is Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum. My Honda engines love the Pennzoil products. After running German Castrol for 10 years in my M5 I plan to run PU with it's high detergent content once to clean things out a bit, then back to GC.

How on earth can we be oil snobs worthy of the name if we buy something at the cheapest price...even if it is good stuff...at the CHEAPEST PRICE...I probably won't sleep tonight...
sleep.gif

I think I will go to Hawaii on vacation and order some oil while I'm there just so I can tell everyone I paid $300 shipping. I, for one, intend to live up to the name oil snob...so there...you have it...so there...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NorWest5
My second and third choices for any BMW engine that makes good power is Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum. My Honda engines love the Pennzoil products. After running German Castrol for 10 years in my M5 I plan to run PU with it's high detergent content once to clean things out a bit, then back to GC.

I am switching to PU5W40 during summer months! Winter still good ole GC!

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Personally, I have not noticed any difference in cold weather starting (around 10F) between these two.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Personally, I have not noticed any difference in cold weather starting (around 10F) between these two.

Actually I did in my old VW B5 1.8T.
During winter in Alabama (which is not winter in real sense) GC below 50 degrees was behaving much better. I would not have any valve noise during morning start, while with PU and even M1 when I tried i noticed that. Nothing scientific, just noise level. That does not mean it is bad or whatever, but still, feel more comfortable with GC in the winter. Now, since I live in Colorado, and I am skiing maniac, I think on 0 or 10 degrees in mountains I would prefer 0W30.

bmw Oil is not that expensive? its like only 7 dollers a bottle. In all Reality Stick with Castrol Ow30 I would not switch up to 0w40 till 100k Castrol Edge 0w40 a little thinner then M1 but I think it runs better then M1

My M5 did not like Mobil1 0W-40. German Castrol 0W-30 is it's drink of choice and it consumes nothing.

are you nuts?!?!?! ur car calls for 10w60!

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm
My M5 did not like Mobil1 0W-40. German Castrol 0W-30 is it's drink of choice and it consumes nothing.

are you nuts?!?!?! ur car calls for 10w60!

He's in Canada. The 03/00+ E39 cars retained the recommendation for an LL-01 oil like in Germany. I use M1 0w-40 and PU 5w-40 in mine.

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm
bmw Oil is not that expensive? its like only 7 dollers a bottle. In all Reality Stick with Castrol Ow30 I would not switch up to 0w40 till 100k Castrol Edge 0w40 a little thinner then M1 but I think it runs better then M1

M1 0w-40 has a higher VI than GC 0w-30, so it is actually thinner at most start-up temps. Same with BC 0w-40.

At operating temperature however, yes, M1 0w-40 has a higher HTHS than the 0w-30, so it is a heavier oil in application. Though not by much really.

The 0w-40 is the same visc at 100C (13.5cP) as M1 0w-40, has a lower VI, and is heavier at 40C and all start-up temps than M1 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back