Oil recommendation

Hello i have a 1.5 Mitsubishi lancer its driven almost on a daily basis most of the time at high speed i am using 20w50 mineral oil and will change to 10w40 next oil change and want help to choose one of the choices i have for 10w40 in where i live as everyone is advising me against it but i wanna give it a try, most of them are close to each other in price so price isn't issue here but i can't decide which is better since no one tried anything but 20w50

Castrol Magnetic semi-synth SN rated
Motul 6100 synergie SN rated
Total quartz semi-synth SN rated
Mannol defender semi-synth SL rated
Liqui moly without mos2 synth SN rated
Liqui moly with mos2 semi-synth SL rated
Shell HX7 semi-synth SN rated

What year and what series Lancer ?

In Australia only the CA (88-90), CB (90-92) and CC (92-96) came with 1.5L engines, after that it was 1.8 or larger.

Castrol Australia say 15W40 or 20W50 for the CA, for the CB & CC they say 10W40 or 15W40 or 20W50.

Out of the 10W40’s you listed above the two I know best are Castrol Magnatec and Shell Helix HX7. Both should be rated API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B4, which would be my minimum requirement. The Shell HX7 probably also carries MB 229.3

I am not familiar with the others, but they are well known brands.

It is a very thick oil which causes more fuel consumption i wanna change to 10w40
Between a 40-grade and a 50-grade you aren't going to be able to detect a difference. There will be a small improvement but with all the variables in everyday driving you'll not notice it. Do it if you wish but not for any fuel economy difference.

Fuel is expensive in Egypt?

Between a 40-grade and a 50-grade you aren't going to be able to detect a difference. There will be a small improvement but with all the variables in everyday driving you'll not notice it. Do it if you wish but not for any fuel economy difference.

Fuel is expensive in Egypt?
Sadly yes it costs 7.5 EGP per liter but from what i have learned on the website here that lighter grade oil should give better fuel economy so you are telling me switching from 20w50 to 10w40 won't make any difference? Even in wear protection and all that stuff? I am confused 😭
How much more?
Don't know exact numbers but shouldn't it does that

You’re in Egypt so the 20W-50 should be ok year round. The 10W-40 should be as well I’d go with Castrol or Liqui-Moly but any of them will do good. I’ve never used Motul or Mannol as those aren’t available in the states so I can’t say on those two.

Both weights will work well as long as you have enough oil pressure at idle and at speed. The key is "enough". If you have a bar of pressure at hot idle and 2 or more bars at speed, then it's going to be fine with 10w40.

There is a "theoretical" fuel economy advantage with a lighter oil, but it is small. A much larger influence on fuel economy is how heavy your foot is on the throttle.

I was under the impression that it was all covered in this thread just a few days ago?

I was under the impression that it was all covered in this thread just a few days ago?

Yes but i wanna pick which oil to use cause i never used any 10w40 so don't know what works best as for 20w50 i have been using a local brand
You’re in Egypt so the 20W-50 should be ok year round. The 10W-40 should be as well I’d go with Castrol or Liqui-Moly but any of them will do good. I’ve never used Motul or Mannol as those aren’t available in the states so I can’t say on those two.
Okay thanks ❤️
Both weights will work well as long as you have enough oil pressure at idle and at speed. The key is "enough". If you have a bar of pressure at hot idle and 2 or more bars at speed, then it's going to be fine with 10w40.

There is a "theoretical" fuel economy advantage with a lighter oil, but it is small. A much larger influence on fuel economy is how heavy your foot is on the throttle.
Don't have a gauge for oil pressure but i will just go for a try with liqui moly and see how things go from there

Back