Oil recommendation for new generator?

My HF 4375 manual says 20 hrs. I changed it at 25. Oil looked good, minimal ferrous on the mag dipstick. I had Amsoil HDD in it. I think with a 5 w40 i will try 50 hrs.

If honda manual says every 25 hours if run straight thru then I am wrong.. and your doing the right thing. Just seems like constant running with no hot cold cycles should be easy hours. I never have seen a manufacturer saying 25 hour oil changes are required.
What does the oil look like ? I would love to see an oil analysis after 25 hours for fun
Oil looks dark but not black - it definitely does not look like new oil.

After I drain it into my oil drain pan I let it cool down and then dump it in a 2 gallon pain to be recycled there is not much residue left in the oil drain pan. So it is not like it is full of crud.

My Wen generator also says every 25 hours between oil changes.

My Honda was purchased on sale - But Home Depot still sells it for $1,200 - saving a few $ of oil doesn't seem worth it compared to the cost of a new unit.

Then i am very wrong in my earlier comment. And 25 hour changes are the way to go . Longest my small 2500 watt 5.5 hp honda gx engine with generac winding end has run has been three days. I changed oil after the power outage was over in several cases.
The oil still looked fine ( 5 w 30 mobil 1 ) but you cant tell much by looking at oil.

I usually change the oil late afternoon / early evening - for sure before dark. I then know the oil is fresh and at the proper level and it will be running all night without much attention - I was getting about 12 hours between fill ups - so it worked out to change about every 24 hours.

I think if I did decide to run longer oil change intervals I would use 15W40 - diesel rated oil. Heck I plan to do that if it gets much over 90 degrees and I am running hard.

To be fair my Wen manual says 25 hour oil changes. I don’t subscribe to this I do ~100 hours.

Just my $0.02
I don't think the Honda manual for any generator calls for 25 hour oil changes. Mine says 100 hours. But let's think this through - we are dealing with a low-stressed motor, running at constant speed. It's like changing a car oil at 1,000 miles or less. I advocate a quick break-in change, but after that, you need to go at least 50 hours. 25 hours is not connected to reality.

Well I ran my Briggs & Stratton Vanguard powered generator for 14 days 10 hrs per day on Mobil 1 5/30 during Hurricane Sandy ten years ago then changed the oil after 7 days and when the power finally came back on 7 days later. I’ve used it several times since then and it’s been fine, very reliable unit. After any outage for more than a couple of days I’ll change it as soon as the power comes back on. If you’re using syn oil and outside temps aren’t high (Sandy happened at the end of October it actually snowed a few days after the storm) 100 hrs I think is OK. If in a tropical climate like Fla or the Gulf Coast I’d prob do 50 hrs.
With modern syn oils 25 hrs may be overkill but if that’s what the manufacturer says then ok I’d follow that esp with a new unit.

Yep, any full synth. oil is fine in these motors. I ran my BS powered 5600w unit 10 days straight during Sandy on ST full synth. 5-30w. Only time it was off was to fuel and check oil level. Didn't change oil until power came back. It still hums along to this day.
Good oil and good gas will never let you down. Especially a good oil, it's not like it takes 10 qts for an oil change.

I don't think the Honda manual for any generator calls for 25 hour oil changes. Mine says 100 hours. But let's think this through - we are dealing with a low-stressed motor, running at constant speed. It's like changing a car oil at 1,000 miles or less. I advocate a quick break-in change, but after that, you need to go at least 50 hours. 25 hours is not connected to reality.
Honda EG2800 manual recommends every 25 hours if used continuously or under heavy use.

Back