Oil recommendation for new generator?

Hey everyone,

I have two generators, one is a Ducar 4000W Inverter, the other is Briggs and Stratton Inverter P2000.

The Ducar is brand new and still in box, I am wondering which oil should I use with it?

User manual recommends either 10W-30 or 15W-40. But I think 15W-40 is too thick, should I use it or or 10W-40 even though it is not listed in the manual? I am afraid it will be hard to start 15W-40 at 50F~ ambient temp in winter.

By the way – Both 10W-40 and 15W-40 are semi synthetic, there is 5W-40 fully synthetic for the same price. Will I benefit from going 5W40 full synthetic instead of 10W/15W40 semi?

I am living in Israel so I rarely see temps go below 50F (In winter) and in summer up to 95F.

I read somewhere it's good to use oil with zinc additive for new small engines such as "Royal Purple Break In Oil 10W30" – Should I buy it or just use some cheap mineral oil for the break in period?

Which oil would you recommend after the break in period?

This is what we have here -

Kixx G1, G. - Best value for money and also contains 1-3% Zinc.
Castrol GTX, GTX Ultraclean, Magnatec, Power 1 Racing.
Liqui-Moly Motorcycle Oil (Racing/Street), Super Leichtiauf.
Valvoline SynPower, MaxLife.
Eurol SportTouring.
And some expensive AF Royal Purple oils.

For the Briggs and Stratton P2000 I had it for 4 years and used it for less than 30 hours. I always used the "original" Briggs 5W-30 Synthetic oil but recently it started leaking very small drips under the engine, like 1-2 drops every week.

What are the chances the oil is too thin for the environment in my country and I had to use a thicker oil such as 10W-40 or 15W-40?

Sorry if some of my questions are stupid, I am still learning 😊

Thanks in advance!

15w would be easy to start at 20 degrees Celsius aka 50 degrees Fahrenheit... No problem.

15w is ok down to negative 20 degrees Celsius in terms of cold starting. No concern in your typical climate.

I'm running Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 in my generator. For my climate, Long Island NY the 5W40 will work well in any temperature we get. Keep in mind a generator can run at 3,600 rpms for hours on end, which is why I opted for the 40 grade oil. A 10W40 or 15W40 would work too, but the last thing I want to do is be changing oil in a generator in a freak cold snap.

In my area, I use a 10w-30 weight oil which is what your manual also suggests. . That offers the best coverage for winter and summer time temperatures.

If you can get it, I use Shell Rotella T5 10W30 in all the small engines here-HF Predator engine (log splitter), 2000 watt inverter generator, Briggs air cooled lawn mowers. Not sure where you’re located, Maybe there’s a Shell Helix equivalent there?

If you can get it, I use Shell Rotella T5 10W30 in all the small engines here-HF Predator engine (log splitter), 2000 watt inverter generator, Briggs air cooled lawn mowers. Not sure where you’re located, Maybe there’s a Shell Helix equivalent there?
I am in Israel.
Shell is barely available here, but I found 10W40 Helix HX7 4 liters for 35$. Is it good? Better than Kixx G1 (4 liters - 22$)?
Edit - Shell Advance for Motorcycles is also available here, should I go with passanger car oil or Motorcycle oil for my generator?

Last edited:
That Helix sounds a lot like the T5-synthetic blend, dual rated (gas & diesel). $35/4 L sounds a little high priced, but Israel doesn’t get as cold as here in the northern USA, I would think 10W40 would get it done.

15w would be easy to start at 20 degrees Celsius aka 50 degrees Fahrenheit... No problem.

15w is ok down to negative 20 degrees Celsius in terms of cold starting. No concern in your typical climate.
FWIW 20C = 68F so a few degrees off.

Just my $0.02

OP I’ve been running Farm & Fleet 5w40 synthetic HDEO in my Wen inverter generator for about the past year. It starts easy and my theory is if the oil shears it’s still going to be a 30 weight. My generator often runs for 50+ hours straight when I use it to power my camper at the races.

FWIW, I just did an oil change on it this past weekend. It had 75 hours on the oil and it seemed fine but the generator now has 500 hours on it. I put in a new spark plug and cleaned the air filter. Now it’s good for 100 more before changing.

Just my $0.02

Ended up returning my Ducar generator for a different model. I will open new thread shortly.

For any future generator, here is my personal cheat sheet:
Air-cooled? M1 15W50. Liquid-cooled? M1 0W40.
I apply that to anything with an internal combustion engine, not just generators. Keep it synthetic in those grades, if M1 isn't available. Synthetic 20W50 for an air-cooled engine is great too.

If you change the oil frequently then IMHO - it doesn't matter all that much.

Just go with the weight the manufactures specs that matches the temperature.

That said - I am OCD about oil so my plan is -

If the temp is around freezing to ~~50 I use Mobil1 5W30 -- I always have 10+ quarts on hand because I use it in my truck.

Temps between 50 and 90 I will use 10W30 Valvoline Blue semi synthetic or SAE 30 because I bought a bunch on sale.

Much over 90 degrees I can switch over to 15W40 - I have two flavors - Chevron semi synthetic, Super Tech dino.

When running continuously during a hurricane or other longer term power outage I will change the oil EVERYDAY - it takes me 5 minutes to drain and refill - I do it when I stop to refuel - so I am adding gasoline while oil is draining - the cost for 14-16 ounces of oil is nothing and when you run a small air cooled engine hard in hot weather for hours in a row scrimping on oil changes is just plain dumb.

YMMV

Last edited:
Z71. No reason in the world to change oil daily. Its just a waste of oil thats brand new.
At least go a week or ten days which is still overkill

Z71. No reason in the world to change oil daily. Its just a waste of oil thats brand new.
At least go a week or ten days which is still overkill
The manufacturer (Honda) recommends changing oil ever 25 hours if used continuously, hard use or hot outside temps. Hurricane power back up would like be all three.

So me changing every day is not a waste it is required maintenance.

But even if it could go longer why worry about $2 and 16 ounces of oil?

Last edited:
If honda manual says every 25 hours if run straight thru then I am wrong.. and your doing the right thing. Just seems like constant running with no hot cold cycles should be easy hours. I never have seen a manufacturer saying 25 hour oil changes are required.
What does the oil look like ? I would love to see an oil analysis after 25 hours for fun

If honda manual says every 25 hours if run straight thru then I am wrong.. and your doing the right thing. Just seems like constant running with no hot cold cycles should be easy hours. I never have seen a manufacturer saying 25 hour oil changes are required.
What does the oil look like ? I would love to see an oil analysis after 25 hours for fun

To be fair my Wen manual says 25 hour oil changes. I don’t subscribe to this I do ~100 hours.

Just my $0.02

Just seems like constant running with no hot cold cycles should be easy hours. I never have seen a manufacturer saying 25 hour oil changes are required.
My WEN 212 CC generator says the same thing - 25 hours. Its an air cooled engine meaning the crankcase gets pretty hot, a very small amount of oil - like 16 oz, no oil filter, and they typically recommend SAE30 which is almost always mineral oil I think. If I ever need to run mine constant I will change the oil daily. Its all set up so I can do it in about a minute if I have the 16 oz already measured out, which I would do in that situation.

Then i am very wrong in my earlier comment. And 25 hour changes are the way to go . Longest my small 2500 watt 5.5 hp honda gx engine with generac winding end has run has been three days. I changed oil after the power outage was over in several cases.
The oil still looked fine ( 5 w 30 mobil 1 ) but you cant tell much by looking at oil.

Back