Oil Recommendation for 2010 Camaro SS LS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Do the Mobil 1 EP oils meet the GM warranty spec??

I'm pretty sure Mobil says they do but they haven't been certified.

Mobil 1 5w30 will meet GM 4718M, but Mobil has not officially approved it.

I too would just stick with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic but in the "extended" version and go by the OLM.

Gonna head in this direction too very soom in my 08' Impala SS with I believe is the same engine. Chime in if I'm wrong. This will be my first OCI since bought new back in May using the OLM.

Durango

Originally Posted By: coffee
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The M1 High mileage 10w-30 would be a better choice for summer use. Its a real synthetic with GF3 mid saps adds.

This oil does not have the GM4718 spec.

That's mainly because it does not qualify for the fuel saving spec, and it is an SL, not SM, oil. A much better oil, in my opinion.

More friction, more ash, and a less-strict API certification, all because we assume it has more anti-wear additives? I wouldn't call that better, I'd call it different...

The Camaro was designed to run on SM oils.

Thanks everyone, I noticed there wasn't as much feedback on my 2009 Chrysler Town and Country recommendation request :).

Until I poked around in this forum I had NO IDEA just how involved one can get in oil choice but knowing the forum is here and available as a wealth of information with probably 1000's upon 1000's of years of collective experience amongst all its members is (dare I sound corny) comforting.

I think for now it is safe to say that staying with the Mobil 1 5w30 as per GM and possibly the "extended" version until the drive-train warranty is up. After that I may be looking to start modding the power-train and running it more often at the track which I guess would open me up to the need for different oil options.

As an aside and knowing commenting on this has powder keg potential, the Government Motors aspect of the thread.... I woulda preferred they were allowed to sink or swim on their own, I really think that American work ethic, uninfluenced by Government intervention, would have allowed GM to come out the other side leaner and meaner and while there would have been a short term pain it would have been better in the long run by establishing a self-sufficient and sustainable business model. I think what has been done is delay the inevitable and pushed off the necessary correction of the business model for a later time.

Thanks again for all your suggestions...

Last edited:
The one follow-up question I have is whether or not I should make use of a different viscosity during the winter months as opposed to the summer months or if the Mobil 1 5w30 is a no brainer for year round use?

Last edited:
Modern synthetics don't even blink in the temps we get up here.
wink.gif
Mobil 1 5w-30 will be great year-round.

The only reason to stray from the manufacturer's recommended grade is if you are constantly seeing oil temps that are a lot higher or a lot lower than the normal range. Normal-ish driving in NJ will keep you WELL within that range. Basically, the only thing you could do to that might merit a different grade would be to move to a VERY different climate (Antarctica or Arizona) or to start hitting the race track on hot summer days.

This engine architecture has (in recent past) major piston slap issues. Don't know if GM addressed this. If sticking with EoM product, I would go with the M1 10w-30 High mileage in the summer. On Paper, This oil slaughters plain vanilla M1, and its a real synthetic. Yes its 10w-XX, but a -65F pour point. I think the seasoned BITOGer's know what this implies.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Do the Mobil 1 EP oils meet the GM warranty spec??

I'm pretty sure Mobil says they do but they haven't been certified.

That's correct. I called Mobil tech and they confirmed that the 5-30EP does meet the Vette spec but they don't advertise it because the EP line is targeted to the long OCI crowd not the Vette guys.

On Paper, This oil slaughters plain vanilla M1

Yeah, and on bedroom wall posters, a Shelby GT500 slaughters a Bugatti Veyron...

Yes its 10w-XX, but a -65F pour point. I think the seasoned BITOGer's know what this implies.

It will be thicker when cold, but freeze at a lower temp. So?

Where's Art Vanderlay :) I was referencing the -54(-65) = classic 85%+ PAO full synthetic base stock supposition. I agree too, the pour is not a factor for 99.9% of us. I am also not a PAO fanboy - I always say - good fluid, bad lubricant. If it was my LS3 engine, I would be trying Redline or Motul XMAX or Silkolene or Total quartz 9000 or who knows what. But I'm always blowing things up (on Syntec or Mobil).

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Originally Posted By: coffee
The M1 High mileage 10w-30 would be a better choice for summer use. Its a real synthetic with GF3 mid saps adds.

This oil does not have the GM4718 spec.

That's mainly because it does not qualify for the fuel saving spec, and it is an SL, not SM, oil. A much better oil, in my opinion.

I agree that it is a great oil but was just clarifying that it does not have the spec on the bottle in case warranty concerns were considered.

This engine architecture has (in recent past) major piston slap issues. Don't know if GM addressed this.

YES, they have addressed this issue.

My brother's LS2 in his '06 Vette has NO piston slap issues what so ever, even starting up in 10*F ambient temps!!
So my guess would be that GM has NOT brought this issue back into play for the even newer LS3s/9s/etc.

This engine architecture has (in recent past) major piston slap issues. Don't know if GM addressed this.

YES, they have addressed this issue.

My brother's LS2 in his '06 Vette has NO piston slap issues what so ever, even starting up in 10*F ambient temps!!
So my guess would be that GM has NOT brought this issue back into play for the even newer LS3s/9s/etc.

My LS3 has no piston slap, I believe they are coating the pistons now to prevent this.

Use a GM4718 spec oil, but don't be fooled into thinking you have to use one of the GM "certified" oils that are "recommended" for the oil spec.

I run Amsoil SSO in my GXP that requires the same oil spec.

Last edited:
If we shouldn't be fooled by GM, why should we be fooled by you?

I just LOL'd!

If we shouldn't be fooled by GM, why should we be fooled by you?

Not by GM, but the overwhelming assertion by the lemmings.
The fact that "certified" means they likely paid GM $XXX to "certify" the oil. No where does it state your warranty will be voided if you do not use this short list of products.
And that is on top of the federal law prohibiting the act.

Or was that a facetious question, dOOdOO?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back