Oil recommendation - BMW 335i (N55)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello oil aficionados,

I'm looking for some education/help in picking out the optimal oil for my beautiful girl, Anja. She's a 2011 BMW 335i xDrive automatic, N55 engine, 53k miles. Currently without an oil cooler, which is on my DIY project list for the summer. My daily commute is about 2 miles each way, which isn't far enough to really get up to temp. Other than the commute, she's the grocery getter with mostly highway miles. Road trips and bit of twisty road spirited driving when available on the weekends are the primary putters-on of mileage. Currently, I use Mobil 1 0w-40, with changes every 7500 miles.

What I'm wondering is if there's a better option for my driving habits, especially with the changes in the M1 formulation. I'm not really interested in spending $$$$$ for THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST OIL EVER MADE, but I'm looking for what's going to be the best option for performance X wear prevention X cost. I have no problem trying to hunt something down or spend $75+ per change if something is going to be significantly better.

Also, what oil characteristics should I be looking for, given my short commutes? Is there something specific that provides a greater benefit for this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BITOG.

Is the car still under CPO warranty?

If not, I would probably stick to M1 0w-40. If it is, I'd pick an oil that still meets BMW LL-01 spec, like Castrol 0w-40 which is also readily available and reasonably priced.

Quote:
Also, what oil characteristics should I be looking for, given my short commutes? Is there something specific that provides a greater benefit for this situation?

Not really. You mentioned that you do take it for longer spirited drives on weekends, so that should help burn off moisture and fuel, if any. How long does it take you to rack up 7500 miles? If it's more than a year, then I'd probably just plan on changing the oil once a year.

Thanks, Pete.

I'm under CPO until September, so I'll probably stick to the LL-01 though that point. There's a local place that still has a few jugs of the LL-01 M1, so that's an option for now. Re: Castrol, is there any difference I'd see between the 0w-30, 0w-40, and 5w-40? It looks like all of them are LL-01 spec and available around these parts.

As for OCI, I'm hitting 7500 about every 6-7 months.

Originally Posted By: moopdoop
Re: Castrol, is there any difference I'd see between the 0w-30, 0w-40, and 5w-40? It looks like all of them are LL-01 spec and available around these parts.

Seeing as you are in MN, you could potentially benefit from a 0w-XX grade, so I'd probably cross out the 5w-40. The 0w-30 and the 0w-40 are thought to be higher quality fluids as they also meet MB 229.5 spec which has more stringent requirements. Between these two, the 0w-40 is better priced as it comes in 5qt jugs at Walmart.

Any LL-01 oil will work fine; I prefer Mobil 1 because it is relatively inexpensive, easy to find, and performs well(based on multiple UOAs from my BMWs).

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Any LL-01 oil will work fine; I prefer Mobil 1 because it is relatively inexpensive, easy to find, and performs well(based on multiple UOAs from my BMWs).

Right, except the m1 0w40 recently dropped the ll01 approval. Thats why i mentioned it if warranty is at stake.

I would go with Castrol 0W40.
Castrol has bit better cold performance over M1. New M1 apparently has really good MRV numbers, so it might be as good as Castrol or better. Keep in mind, something is going on with M1 so they dropped apparently BMW LL-01 spec. Why? Who knows!
Castrol 0W30 is for me the best oil out there. However, 0W40 has same formula and bit thicker. It is splitting hairs.
Castrol 5W40? Do not use it! It is substandard compare to many more oils, and definitely compare to M1 0W40 or castrol 0W30/40.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Right, except the m1 0w40 recently dropped the ll01 approval. Thats why i mentioned it if warranty is at stake.

I'm still hoping that's an oversight on Mobil's part...

Originally Posted By: moopdoop
Re: Castrol, is there any difference I'd see between the 0w-30, 0w-40, and 5w-40? It looks like all of them are LL-01 spec and available around these parts.

Seeing as you are in MN, you could potentially benefit from a 0w-XX grade, so I'd probably cross out the 5w-40. The 0w-30 and the 0w-40 are thought to be higher quality fluids as they also meet MB 229.5 spec which has more stringent requirements. Between these two, the 0w-40 is better priced as it comes in 5qt jugs at Walmart.

IMO, Quattro Pete is one of the most helpful, pragmatic, non-confrontational members on BITOG. Props to you, Pete!

Scott

Thanks, Scott.
11.gif

Their website still shows LL-01 approval. Is that wrong?

Originally Posted By: kjbock

They have yet to release a PDS for the new FS 0w-40, so we don't know if they've got it approved again or not. As it stands, the FS bottles don't show LL-01 at this point so we don't know where they are going with this.

Originally Posted By: kjbock

Yes and no. Apparently the oil manufactured after the end of last year no longer carries the designation. My local Walmart still has the older stuff that has the designation on the bottle.

In this case I'd go by what the bottle says.

All n54/55s have a water/oil heat exchanger. What OP is referring to is a separate oil/air cooler mounted in front of the RF wheel.

I wish I DIDN'T have one because the plumbing has to be removed to do anything to the front of the engine or radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back