oil recomendation for a 98 Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Lately I've been running M1 0w30 with a Motorcraft FL-400S?? filter I'm pretty sure the number is but don't quote me on it.

I've been rather happy with it. The truck runs good with a smidge over 65K miles. I don't drive it hard unless I'm passing a car but I don't baby it either and take forever to get up to speed.

I mostly do about 80% city between 35-40mph and 20% highway between 55-60mph. I've never asked for an oil recomendation before. I've been thinking of trying a totally different combo. Diff brand name oil and diff filter. I've been thinking Delvac, Amsoil or even Delo and Pennzoil. I'm just looking for everyone opinions because I know everyone's point of view for oil and filter combos is different. Just simply getting ideas. Thanks,,,,,AR

I assume you have the 3.0 due to filter model. The Motorcraft FL400S is an excellent filter at a dirt cheap price, stay with it. Mobil1 is good also. I suggest you do a used oil analysis to see how that combo is doing, but sounds good to me, even though I am a dino guy.

Mike,

That's my bad, I have the 2.5L 4banger. I should've mentioned my engine in the original post,,,,AR

What year's this truck? How's it running with the M1? Consumption, noise, etc, etc...

Do you want to give mineral oils a try?

I see no reason to use anything other than Motorcraft filters.

Hey Jelly,

It's a 98 and I've got about 4000 miles on the oil and filter now. Since 4000 miles ago when I changed the oil and filter, the oil level is in the middle of min and max. IT pings really bad upon start up though which is royally agrivating me. Though of everything I tried I'm more inclined to think something mechanical is wrong with the truck, but that's another thread. My usual OCI's are 5000 miles, though I've been kicking the idea of going longer.

As far as considering dino oils, sure I'll give them a shot, but I wouldn't even dream of running any dino regardless of brand past the 3000 mark. I've been reading alot of threads where pennzoil, castrol, havoline and delo have been mentioned. So as far as choosing a combo here for oil and filter, I'm pretty open minded. Thanks,,,,,,AR

[ August 04, 2004, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

Hey Jelly,

All my life I've been rather skepticle of fuel system cleaners. Since I've registered with this site which I have full respect for the pros and old timers here, it's taken me a while to convince myself to run a bottle of say Redline or Chevron through my truck. But now that I here it more often as a suggestion, the more I take it into consideration. I know, I probably sound like a hard headed someone you can't convince but I'll give it a shot and see what it does.

I just filled up the truck today with Shell 87 and it seems no different than from any other fuel brands around here.

Back to oils, like I mentioned before, I'm pretty open minded as to what else to try for a good oil and filter combo. Honestly, I've been wanting to try a NAPA Gold filter, Baldwin or Amsoil. Which one I specifically want, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, lol

Yes I have considered a 40wt oil, but I see no need to go any higher as far into the 50wt range unless my truck had well over 200K on the clock.

I'll keep my mind open about what to use. Thanks,,,AR

*It's a 98 and I've got about 4000 miles on the oil and filter now. Since 4000 miles ago when I changed the oil and filter, the oil level is in the middle of min and max.

So it's not using that much. Have you considered a xw40, such as M1 0w-40 or Rotella 5w-40?

*IT pings really bad upon start up though which is royally agrivating me.

Have you considered using a good fuel-system cleaner?

*As far as considering dino oils, sure I'll give them a shot, but I wouldn't even dream of running any dino regardless of brand past the 3000 mark.

I'd say 4,000, but as I mentioned before, if you're already using synthetics, I see no reason to switch back to a mineral PCMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back