Oil Reccomendation for 2 stroke 1967 harley davidson golf cart., Tcw3, regular or synthetic. .Just wondering what is the best 2 stroke oil to use.

Just wondering what is the best 2 stroke oil to use in a 67 harley davidson golf cart? Are these high temp or low temp running engines? Do I want Tcw3, or something strictly for air cooled engine. Regular or synthetic? What are 2 good specific brands? Thanks for your help. There is so much conflicting info out there.

Just wondering what is the best 2 stroke oil to use in a 67 harley davidson golf cart? Are these high temp or low temp running engines? Do I want Tcw3, or something strictly for air cooled engine. Regular or synthetic? What are 2 good specific brands? Thanks for your help. There is so much conflicting info out there.
You sure that Harley motor is a 2 stroke?

Back in '67 2 stroke oil mixes where 20-1 with the crap oils back then. Synth. oil at 40-1 would be proper now. 3.2 oz per gallon.
The quality fuels and oils will never let you down.

I think those things originally called for something like 80:1 snowmobile oil cause they used a snowmobiles engine. I would run 40:1 with a decent modern oil if it were mine.

The engines were Italian Aermacchi 249cc 2-cycles and were also used by H-D in their scooters, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles of the era (in various displacements). In 1960, Harley-Davidson purchased 50% of Aermacchi's motorcycle division.
I used to recommend Lawnboy ashless 32:1 for these engines, but a 40:1 or 50:1 mix of quality air cooled 2-cycle oil mixed with E0 gas would be fine. With E10 I would still recommend 32:1. It will smoke, but it will live. You don't want to fry one of these engines because you can't get rebuild parts for them any longer.

Last edited:
Yes. You mix 1.5 oz oil per gallon
There are NO two stroke engines that use 1.5 ounces per gallon. That's not enough!

Our extensive two stroke testing shows the following:

32 to 1 provides acceptable protection for conventional engines
50 to 1 is acceptable for low HP applications
8 to 1 provides the most HP, but is difficult operationally.
16 to 1 comes close to matching the HP of 8 to 1.
100 to 1 results in rapid wear rates.
Kart engines need more oil, and 24 to 1 is a good starting point for Kart engines.

It says right in the manuel 1.5 oz per gallon. Back then it was a 50 weight they recommended.

Well, modern 2 cycle oils leave way fewer deposits than anything that was available back then. I'm pretty sure a 50:1 mix with a premium motorcycle oil will give better protection with no increase in carbon deposits.

Klotz Supertechniplate with pure gasoline no ethanol

Second choice Maxima Super M or Castor 927

40:1

There are NO two stroke engines that use 1.5 ounces per gallon. That's not enough!

Kart engines need more oil, and 24 to 1 is a good starting point for Kart engines.
Here is what they say. I'm wondering what would be a good oil and brand? If you mix the oil and gas in the tank, be very careful to measure the oil portions with a measuring cup. Be precise…too little oil hurts the engine. Too much will cause the spark plug to foul, the exhaust to be smoky (& smelly) and the muffler to clog with unburned oil. Use a good marine type, TC-W3 rated, 2-cycle oil, mixable to at least a 128:1 ratio of gas to oil. This means one (1) ounce of oil to one (1) gallon (128 oz) of gas. Unleaded regular gas (the cheap stuff) is A-OK.

NOTE: Not all 2-cycle gas engines use a 128:1 gas/oil mix. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. E-Z-GO uses 1 oz. per 1 gallon. Harley uses 1 1/2 oz. per gallon of gas. Yamaha always used an oil injection system with the reservoir mounted on the driver side rear wheel well. The injection system uses very little oil but if you mix the oil in the gas tank, use 1 oz. per gallon.

Out of curiosity, what constitutes "low power"(where 50:1 is acceptable)?

I'm guessing a 20-30cc single cylinder engine(weed eater, blower, etc) would probably be in that category.

What about something like say a push lawnmower rated at 6.5 hp? 32:1 is the manufacturer's spec for the one I'm dealing with, and that's what I use since they're not making them anymore and I want to keep mine going as long as possible, but just curious about that.

In my opinion 32:1 is right in the edge of to much oil for most it's makes for a smokey operation but will definitely keep it lubed up good

For a while we were running Husqvarna 65cc motocross bikes at 60:1

For the Honda 2 strokes (85 and 250) it was 40:1

Ratio depends on oil, engine power, and oil viscosity. It was 1.5 ounces per gallon for Harley's SAE50 golf cart 2-stroke oil. Some were even 1 ounce per gallon. Does anyone make a 50 grade locally available 2-stroke oil? Many are 20 grades.

I'd probably just run it on a premixed chainsaw 50:1 and see how much it smokes and go from there. If you change the ratio, you'll have to tune the carb for your new ratio. Whether the small engine oil is thick enough for 85:1 ratio is questionable!

The Amsoil 100:1 is a 40 grade. Might be worth a try at your 1.5 ounce to gallon.

Back