Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presently I own a 1995 Nissan Hardbody 4x4 K/C A/T truck with 66000 miles and a 1998 Infinity QX4 4x4 with 45000 miles. Both vehicles are maintained per dealer service recommendations. The oil and filter are changed in both every 3 months or 3000 miles WCF althogh Nissan/ Infinity same company state every 3 months or every 3750 miles. I was using the dealer oil QS 10w30 but changed over to Castrol the last oil change.Both vehicles get new Nissan oil filters at each oil change. Both vehicles are subject to normal driving, no off roading or heavy hauling. Any opinions on what type of oil I should use?

At the present time, I am running Mobil 1 SS 10W30 in my Nissan Frontier 2.4L, 3200 RPM and hot weather. I am seeing low wear rates and very clean engine parts, according to UOA.

FWIW, my father has a 2001 Infiniti QX4 that he's run nothing but Mobil 1 in since new. He uses 10w30 all the time, except in the winter he switches to 5w30. He typically goes 6k between oil changes.

Once you spend some time at this site you will find that there is a wealth of information here. There are site sponsors here (I'm not one) who I personally support and will support in the future because they are knowledgeable and really don't push their products down your throat. They don't even flame each other
smile.gif

I think in your particular case you could do what you are doing and have no problems for 100K-150K who knows. Many of us here are unfortunately searching for the Holy Grail of oils. Many here like to do oil analysis to extend drain intervals and confirm our oils are performing up to snuff. Possibly in reality this is overkill but thats what many of us do here.

I personally have used mostly Mobil 1 10W-30 and have 5W-30 Schaeffers's in my last change. I and others (not all of course) am leaning to a xW-40 weight. To that end I will be using Rotella 5W-40 in one of my vehicles. I personally used to be an Amsoil dealer just to get the product at a decent price. Amsoil does throw up some good analysis numbers. In my humble opinion you can't go wrong with those three. But with these oils-a longer drain interval than you are using probably makes sense.

Again, Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back