Oil Pump - Filter Pressure "Headroom"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
As pump flow increases, so does the PSID across the element.

No, it doesn't
LOL.gif
Not in anywhere near the frequency of instances where it does not.

Well, let's qualify that. It does ..but you would be very hard pressed to detect it unless the engine routinely operated cold at near peak volume output ...which would, in most cases in the vast majority of engines, also cause the oil pump to be in relief.
grin2.gif

Hmmm ... isn't that basically what I said above?
21.gif
And it is certainly true that as you increase the flow of any liquid through a fixed resistance, the volume of the flow will increase, the velocity of the flow will increase and so will the pressure drop across the "resistor". In the case of an oil filter, it too is a fixed resistor to flow (assume it stays clean and doesn't choke from loading).

So as the oil pump's volume output is increasing with the engine's RPM, then you will see a higher PSID across the filter - up to the point where the oil pump goes into relief mode. If the filter PSID raises to the level of the bypass valve pressure setting, then the filter will bypass some of the flow around the element. Yes, there is no doubt that in order for this to happen, the oil would have to be on the viscous side (ie, cold oil) and the volume flow high (ie, high engine RPM). This is what I said already in a previous post.

Of course, as the oil heats up, the PSID across the filter (and also the engine's oiling circuit) drops ... this is why an engine's oil pressure gauge always registers much lower with hot oil then with cold oil at the same engine RPM ... no surprises there.

The PSID is manipulated (artifically = for lack of a better term) by the confines of the ratio it has to maintain with the total pressure elevation due to flow at visc through the engine.

If you ran two graphs of total PSI and PSID ..the ratio would be (something like) 20:1 25:1, 30:1, 40:1, 60:1 70:1 between total to filter. It's a YMMV situation since much depends on starting visc and volume ..etc..etc ..but you're not going to see true flow effects through a filter until some higher velocity through it.

Yes, we have established that the engine's oil circuit resistance is going to huge compared to the filter's resistance. As a result, the engine's oil circuit resistance will determine the pump's flow rate through the whole oiling system ... including the filter.

But again, and you've eluded to this again above like me, the situation that is concerning is the cold start, high RPM conditions. This is the condition that could cause a filter with more flow resistance and a lower bypass setting to go into bypass and stay there longer than a different filter designed for the car. This is the exact issue that LoneRanger is concerned about with his Subaru, that has an OEM filter that have the bypass valve set at 23 psi. Subaru must have a reason for that high setting. I'm thinking it's probably because that Subaru's oil pump puts out some pretty good volume, and/or maybe they think their owner's rev the [censored] out of the engines when they are stone cold.
19.gif

There's no doubt that an engine manufacturer specs out the filter's bypass setting to match the pump output and oiling circuit resistance parameters. Likewise, if a filter manufacture does a good design job for a specific vehicle application, they too try to match the filter bypass setting to the engine's oiling system parameters (ie, pump pressure, pump output, circuit resistance) to help ensure minimal bypass events.

My car has the filter bypass built into the engine block, so it has no idea what filter I'm running, and as a result if I used one that was much more resistive to flow it would cut the headroom the filter has before it goes into bypass mode; depending on the built into block bypass valve setting (which BTW I can not find the psi spec for). I have to be a little more careful which filter I run on this car so I don't decrease the bypass pressure headroom by running a more restrictive filter.

Quote:
Hmmm ... isn't that basically what I said above?
21.gif

Probably. I'm just thick sometimes.

Quote:
Yes, we have established that the engine's oil circuit resistance is going to huge compared to the filter's resistance. As a result, the engine's oil circuit resistance will determine the pump's flow rate through the whole oiling system ... including the filter.

No. The oil pump's volume will determine what pressure is developed over the span of the oil system including the filter.

Quote:
This is the condition that could cause a filter with more flow resistance and a lower bypass setting to go into bypass and stay there longer than a different filter designed for the car.

Yes ..but..the main thing to grip this is that the engine is processing the maximum volume that it can at that visc and that's why you see the elevated PSID after the engine is fully enveloped.

Let's say that we've got a really good ADBV and that our oil galleries stay relatively full upon shut down (this is a "for example scenario). Now you're at a (sorta) kinetic relationship through the filter. Molecule for molecule in and out. There you will see pressure elevate somewhat evenly across the media UNTIL the maximum amount of pump output is being processed. At that point, the pump, assuming that additional volume is being supplied, will enter relief and pressure will then attenuate at the pump relief set point ...and THAT establishes the PSID across the filter.

This is not ALL of the views (remember the "empty" gallery where the filter can present resistance without "back pressure") ..but one that I feel needs to be pondered in "seeing what I've seen" on observations in testing.

Quote:
Subaru must have a reason for that high setting.

Yes, but keep in mind that Subaru needs to factor a very broad span of usage over a very broad span of environments. I'm not in anyway saying that the OEM setting is to be ignored ..but understood. If you're on board with the oil pump relief concept ..then you have to accept that the bypass setting is not too important if your event duration is limited. That's all I'm trying to communicate.

Someone in Canada ..@ -40 is going to need that higher bypass setting that Subaru factored in a WHOLE lot more than someone in Texas year round. The filter may never reach 23psid ..it may never reach 8-11
21.gif

That's not casually recommending the use of a non-spec'd filter .. I use 0w-10 oil. I wouldn't casually recommend that either and I'm not nervous about it at all.

Quote:
I have to be a little more careful which filter I run on this car so I don't decrease the bypass pressure headroom by running a more restrictive filter.

I really don't think that you do ..the risks of the amount of unfiltered oil that may be bypassed over the duration of the event isn't substantial ..otherwise there would be tired GM's all over the place. That's why I tend to go with the finer filtering filters if the service duration of the oil is long enough to justify their cost or I'm in a service where I'm using an oil that is not matched to the filter's capability. If you're dumping the sump often enough, it just doesn't matter that much.

IIRC, the setting on the in block bypass on (at least some) SBC's was 7psi ..but some searches show that later Gen crate engines come with 11psi. Some that use remote setups opt for a 30psi bypass. This I would not recommend with any standard media filter. Perhaps with the sieve HP line.

Quote:
Yes, we have established that the engine's oil circuit resistance is going to be huge compared to the filter's resistance. As a result, the engine's oil circuit resistance will determine the pump's flow rate through the whole oiling system ... including the filter.

No. The oil pump's volume will determine what pressure is developed over the span of the oil system including the filter.

I think this is getting down to word semantics.
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

"... the engine's oil circuit resistance will determine the pump's flow rate through the whole oiling system ... "

If you have an oil pump that (let's assume) constantly puts out 60 psi, and if you could magically change the oiling system's resistance with that constant pump pressure on the system's inlet, then the flow rate will change accordingly.

Of course, since the oil pump is a positive displacement device, and if the oiling system resistance is increased more and more, then the oil pump will eventually go into pressure relief and bypass some of it's flow back to the sump. So in essence, the oiling system's effective resistance certainly does play a role in determining what flow rate goes through it ... along with the pump's output pressure and the oil viscosity of course - they all play a role.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
After reading this headroom thread, my head has no more room in it. :~/

Yeah, it's kind of like a filter becoming too loaded up, and then going into bypass mode ... looks like our brains are doing the same.
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif
19.gif

Quote:
If you have an oil pump that (let's assume) constantly puts out 60 psi, and if you could magically change the oiling system's resistance with that constant pump pressure on the system's inlet, then the flow rate will change accordingly.

They do have something like this in the Titan V8
grin2.gif
It's sorta a volume on demand thing. I can't quite wrap around it since I can't observe it, but it provides a nearly flat pressure up to higher rpm. There the filter can alter the reading to the high side if it's more restrictive until warm.

Quote:
I think this is getting down to word semantics.
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

Well, if you had evolved from early BITOG, distinctions like this can get you a sound spanking from some of the upper strata dwellers that used to roam here. Some still do.
grin2.gif

Quote:
"... the engine's oil circuit resistance will determine the pump's flow rate through the whole oiling system ... "

The resistance through the whole oiling system is somewhat fixed. The oil pump volume is (for the most part) fixed. The variable is viscosity which will alter the pressure development at that/those volumes through that resistance.

So the pressure development through the whole oiling system may limit its flow rate at a given visc.

LOL.gif
While we debate the rhyme and meter of the whole thing, it's obvious that we're in violent agreement
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back