Oil Pressure Sending Unit - T's and piping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Santa Fe is getting older and I continue to pile on the miles.

I want to add an Oil Pressure gauge and possibly an oil Temperature Gauge so I can see a problem arise before its too late.

I can buy these gauges with sending units no problem, but I want to hook up to the oil filter housing where the existing low oil pressure sending unit (idiot light) is but I would need a small pipe with the same threading to screw in where the sensor is now and a "T" to split it for both sensors.

Anyone know where I can get this stuff?

It would be the same on all Mitsu/Hyundai cars so it has to be common and available somewhere.

Last edited:
I think you're going to have to start by taking out the old sensor and getting the thread size and pitch. If you can find the part, rock auto might have the specs.

Assuming it's metric, a generic tee or tree would be a pain for me to find around here.

It's the same thread from a Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda and Mitsubishi... Very common threads... 4an is what I have found, just don't know where to get these T's

I'm really surprised it's english. 4AN is about the same as 1/4" which would be the size on a SAE car, and I guess I could see them using the SAE standard.... I guess... my HL still has a SAE threaded oil filter???

If it were mine I would definitely take off the sensor and measure before I ordered anything. A 4an female tee shouldn't be hard to find, or a male and two couplers.

You won't get proper oil temperatures from a T. The sensor needs to be in flowing oil or submerged in the pan. There are replacement oil drain bolts with pipe thread fittings for sensors available.

Ed

I'm looking for pressure mostly but figured If I was T-ing I could put a temp gauge on it too. Not too concerned about temp, and not looking to drill a hole and tap into the pan.

I think it's a 4an fitting, it's metric not imperial...

Dunno... Anyways... Who carried this stuff?

Originally Posted By: Shaman
Find the pitch, and find the fitting. I am suprised it's not english. Most Japanese vehicles I have found are just plain 1/8 NPT.

Wrong! Most are 1/8 BSP which is very close to 1/8 NPT. I would not recommend using an 1/8 NPT in an aluminum port with 1/8 BSP thread.

Anyway, you have a couple of options. You can get a sandwich adapter for your oil filter if you have the room. This will have 1/8 NPT ports for senders. Or if your vehicle uses 1/8BSP then Stealth mode performance has a 1/8 BSP to 1/8 NPT adapter with two 1/8NPT ports. http://www.stealthmodeperformance.com/oil-blockfit.shtml If you go this route, I recommend remote mounting your pressure sender using a stainless steel line to take some of the weight off the tee and aluminum port.

Originally Posted By: Junior
Originally Posted By: Shaman
Find the pitch, and find the fitting. I am suprised it's not english. Most Japanese vehicles I have found are just plain 1/8 NPT.

Wrong! Most are 1/8 BSP which is very close to 1/8 NPT.

thumbsup2.gif

http://pipeandhose.com/?q=node/2

You can mash a 1/8-NPT onto a 1/8-BSP if you're not planning to ever disassemble the connection. I wouldn't recommend it in either case.

Originally Posted By: daman
Let us know(with pics
grin2.gif
)how ya make out.
It's getting cool here now in the mornings and evenings so I would have to do this next summer because by the time I get home from work it's starting to get dark/cool out.

Will post pics of course, when I do it...

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Let us know(with pics
grin2.gif
)how ya make out.
It's getting cool here now in the mornings and evenings so I would have to do this next summer because by the time I get home from work it's starting to get dark/cool out.

grin2.gif

Canada, 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.
11.gif

I added a oil pressure gauge to my Mazda truck and it had metric threads. The Stewart-Warner gauge I bought had about four metric-NPT adaptors included in the kit, so I did not have to go looking for an adaptor fitting.

Summit Racing has some metric fittings.

We have right here in Ontario a very good source for odd fittings
http://www.adaptall.com/

Originally Posted By: Junior
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Let us know(with pics
grin2.gif
)how ya make out.

grin2.gif

Canada, 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.
11.gif

No we have 2 seasons... Winter for 9 months, and 3 months or Construction...
grin2.gif

Yea it's staring to get cooler here too,not ready for winter yet.

32.gif

It's currently 87F here and it's 9:40PM.
04.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back