Oil possibly not changed in 15-20k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

My new gf drives a 1998 Toyota Corolla with 86k New England miles. She tells me she changed the oil every 3-5k miles or so previously, but thinks her last real oil & filter change was almost 20k miles ago, at her dealership. She did however add about four quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic about 1k miles ago when the check engine light came on and she noticed the oil level was almost empty (!!), and says she may have added a little some time in between, but can't remember if she did or not (!).

Obviously, this is almost criminal negligence and she needs to be punished. But besides that, the car is somehow still running smoothly. Of course who knows what's swimming & gunking around in there. I've checked the oil level, and it's still completely full, so she doesn't seem to be burning oil. My question is which is the best option now:

1) Regular oil & filter change with M1 synthetic

2) Use a Groupon for a cheapo Midas $13 oil & filter change, then another after 1k with M1 synthetic & M1 filter (would this clear out more gunk?)

3) One of the above with some sort of cleaner/additive like MMO or Kreen. My concern about the additive option, is that I don't actually know there's an issue big enough to risk opening up varnished-over leaks. Is there a not too invasive way to diagnose whether it needs more than just an oil change?

4) Other?

Thanks very much in advance for your thoughts!

-J

Last edited:
A corolla of that vintage still holds good value, I would sell it and pass it on before any problems from poor maintenance surface honestly.

I would definitely change the oil ASAP. I would also recommend an engine flush to clear up any deposits. Do not go to Midas!! They will rip you off! You should be fine with the Mobil oil, last I heard this is what Toyota uses for factory fill and at their service departments. Good luck!

I'd do one 3,000 mile OCI with Mobil 1, then continue with 5,000 mile OCI's on Mobil 1.

I've heard and seen of worse.
It's not trash, but keep an eye on it.

Change the oil and filter, get back to a normal OCI and hope for the best. If there are no problems don't look for any.

Like Super Dave said keep an eye on it. Check the oil level frequently and top up as needed.

demarpaint said:
Change the oil and filter, get back to a normal OCI and hope for the best. If there are no problems don't look for any.

Like Super Dave said keep an eye on it. Check the oil level frequently and top up as needed.

I think this is the best advice

One of my suppliers goes over 20k on cheap dino quite often.that van is getting close to 300 k and still passes the California enhanced smog test. I say change it and go on with life.

In my opinion,
You don't have any real evidence of sludge, so just change the oil and filter. If there are any oil leaks beyond economic repair or it rattles when hot, just move up one grade to a major brand 10/40 HM (High miles) oil and do a short first OCI (2.5K then 5K normal?).
A good full synthetic can last 20K miles without damaging the block or forming significant sludge, so if it has only happened once I would not be too concerned.
Obviously if you need a screw driver to get the oil out of the sump plug, then you do have a problem, but I would be surprised if that was the case.

Last edited:
I would buy a whole bunch of PYB and Mobil1 filters( 8 bucks on amazon ) and change it often. Changing your oil and filter more frequently is best thing you can do for engine.

My corolla engine was also dirty, probably gotten 3 oil changes in the 70k it has been driven in 2 years ( before i bought it ).

Now oil looks good all the time , took 3 oil changes for the oil color to stay nice for a bit.

do an engine flush if it makes you feel better, its a Toyota, just take care of it now. and you should be okay!

It sounds like the four quarts of oil that are in there now aren't that old (1k miles?). As long as the oil visually looks clean, I'd leave it in until you get to the next 5k mile interval on the odometer (90k). Then change it every 5k miles thereafter, on that 5k mile interval (95k, 100k, etc).

If you really wanted to change it now, you could, and then let that ride until 90k, and then get on the 5k routine from there. I believe that keeping service on easy-to-remember intervals (like every 5k on the odometer) helps ensure stuff isn't missed. You never have to ask yourself, "now when did I last change the oil..."

Originally Posted By: JonnyL
She did however add about four quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic about 1k miles ago when the check engine light came on and she noticed the oil level was almost empty (!!), (!).

-J

That's a oil change right there...

If it oil isn't nasty I'd install a fresh filter, top it off and drive till it was at least a qt low before I'd change it...

When the oil is run that low, oxidation quickly becomes a concern. You should change your oil and filter for a modest OCI. After that, you can return to your normal schedule.

Do not add any solvents or motor flushes to the oil. If you do have a build up, then it risks blocking the oil screen; if you do not have a build up, then it isn't needed.

I wouldn't worry about long term engine damage. The motor is going to outlast the car.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How is she going to be punished?

bingo, please post in depth specifics
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: JonnyL
She did however add about four quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic about 1k miles ago when the check engine light came on and she noticed the oil level was almost empty (!!), (!).

-J

That's a oil change right there...

If it oil isn't nasty I'd install a fresh filter, top it off and drive till it was at least a qt low before I'd change it...

+1 or take it to the next OCI, whatever come first.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
When the oil is run that low, oxidation quickly becomes a concern. You should change your oil and filter for a modest OCI. After that, you can return to your normal schedule.

Do not add any solvents or motor flushes to the oil. If you do have a build up, then it risks blocking the oil screen; if you do not have a build up, then it isn't needed.

I wouldn't worry about long term engine damage. The motor is going to outlast the car.

+1

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. I'll check the oil color, and if it's good, will change only the filter, then do a full change after a relatively short OCI.

As for my gf, finding the right punishment is going to be tricky. There's a real risk that she could enjoy it too much, which would mean that she might try to ruin something else in order to get punished again. I prefer to give that kind of punishment as a reward instead
wink.gif
Guess it'll just have to be the dishes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back