oil pan dented and noise from engine (video included)

hi all,

my car is 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis and yesterday I ran over and hit a big stone really bad, I immediately shut off the car to see any leaks, no leaks but I can see the oil pan dented and the crossmember cracked. I ran the engine and hear engine knock seems from top front of the engine and noticed engine oil lights remain on for around 5 to 8 seconds and goes off but the knocks still on.
any one have been through this issue?
and any recommendation I should do or replace if I opened the oil pan to fix the dent?

here is the video of the engine knocks

Thanks

The noise is more than likely coming from the bottom of the engine. Depending on where the pan is dented will determine what exactly is hitting and/or rubbing inside. It could be hitting the crankshaft, you could have bent the oil pick up tube which might explain the oil light delay. Hard to tell w/o looking, one thing for certain is the pan has to come down to be replaced and to determine what internal damage if any you have, and what needs to be repaired and/or replaced. You'll probably need a new cross member too.

Maybe remove the oil pan and use a good heavy rubber mallet to pound out the dent. Replace pan (replace the gasket too) and see if that stops the knocking.

my mechanic ran the engine and suddenly we heard sth broke and most likely came from timing chain. I will update you with pics. and will take off the engine out of the bay
note: 2 years ago I replaced the valve seals to stop oil consumption, the mechanic pointed out that sth related to timing chain need to be fixed couldn't recall what exactly but it causes slight knocks only happened when I re-run the engine after 10 minutes or so and goes away in a minute. for some reason I decided to fix it later and now is the time lol I (if it is the same as the old issue)
here is my old thread

Last edited:
My wife hit a rock and crack the oil pan . She dint stop to check . And still drove home . It have a knock and clap clap noise . Engine is done . I told her should stop check for the oil since she run on empty

update:
I opened the engine and found the chain guide broken from the driver side, large pieces went down and can see small pieces all around. not sure how this happened by hitting large stone in the road, but it was strong enough to deploy airbag and crack crossmember

passenger side was ok but I can easily break tensioner arm and guide with my hand so I replaced them

the pickup tube dented and got small pieces in there, I believe this causes the engine oil light delay

The 4.6 can take a beaten. Great engine IMO.

Im guessing the guides were brittle from old age and heat cycles and they finally snapped when you hit the rock. What brand of timing chain set did you use?

guides are common on the 2V modular, the all plastic ones are always the first to go.

you got your money’s worth out this set

The 4.6 can take a beaten. Great engine IMO.

Im guessing the guides were brittle from old age and heat cycles and they finally snapped when you hit the rock. What brand of timing chain set did you use?

it is the first time i replaced them, timing chain was OK, replaced guides, tensioners, oil pump and gaskets all parts are from FORD

Replace those timing chain tensioners while you're in there, or at least replace the seals on the plastic ones! Hopefully your timing set came with them.
I replaced them and they come seperate
guides are common on the 2V modular, the all plastic ones are always the first to go.

you got your money’s worth out this set
They are plastic

Back