under valve cover pics 363k miles

Dubai_guy

you mean more varnish on passenger side (see oil filter) what could maybe make passenger side hotter?
Originally Posted by double vanos
M/C did a good job! It looks like the passenger side had a little more varnish than the drivers side. Hotter on that side maybe?

Originally Posted by Dubai_guy
you mean more varnish on passenger side (see oil filter) what could maybe make passenger side hotter?
M/C did a good job! It looks like the passenger side had a little more varnish than the drivers side. Hotter on that side maybe?
Oil filter is on the drivers side on a 4.6 engine.

you put 300Kmiles in a mercury. That says the oil did a good job even before you pulled off the heads. Fact that it is not sludged up or thick coated varnish is a testament to the oils of today. nothing up top makes me think the engine has any oil related problems anywhere else.

JC1

Looks great. Wonder why the OP is using 5w-20 in Dubai. You'd think 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be better in that heat unless he's just using up some 5w-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
Looks great. Wonder why the OP is using 5w-20 in Dubai. You'd think 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be better in that heat unless he's just using up some 5w-20.
I believe the OP meant he used 5w20 during most of the life of the engine but in the last three years switched to 10w30. The ambient temperature in Dubai gets to 106 F according to Weather-spark, but the everyday temperature inside the engine is 210 F. Who-da-thunk you can get that many miles on mostly 5w20. laugh

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Looks good for 363K miles.
I agree... Keep on keeping on smile
Agree, not only Synthetics can keep the inside clean. This is a great example of that. Especially using 5w20 in the Middle East desert.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Wow, I don't know what's more impressive. The condition of that valve train or the fact that someone put over 350k miles on a Mercury.
This is one of the toughest cars ever made.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Wow, I don't know what's more impressive. The condition of that valve train or the fact that someone put over 350k miles on a Mercury.
It is a Panther chassis, there are many Crown Vic PIs that went through police service & have ran big miles in taxi service (which I'm guessing is the case here?).

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
It is a Panther chassis, there are many Crown Vic PIs that went through police service & have ran big miles in taxi service (which I'm guessing is the case here?).
You are correct. The Crown Vic is a surprisingly durable car! smile Ed

I thought everyone in Dubai ran 20w50 in everything! On a more serious note - looks good. How's the interior holding up? Does it all crack?
I believe that's the oil pumps through the driver's side first then to the passenger side head. The oil passages on that side are very small, too.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
My main question is-are they the original timing chains & guides? Also, why did the cam need to come out? Valve seal replacement?
No need to remove cams for VS seals., I did it on my Tbird (pretty much exact engine under the intake manifold). There is a tool to tilt the valves. That mileage isn't spectacular. I know some cabs upstate here pushing 500K. Original everything. They are 98-02 (you can tell by the dished wheels). The transmissions have the drain pan with the plug.

Last edited: