Oil on the whole dipstick when first shut down. '08 CRV

Maybe others experience this. I only notice it on my daughters '08 CRV currently with 236k on it. I don't know if there some seal or something odd/worn allowing oil more up the dipstick tube. It has done this since we got it from my sister 4 years ago.

I check oil on all my cars when I fill them with gas which is every time I buy gas. No $20 things. My routine is pull into gas station, shut down motor, release hood latch and fuel fill door. I then pop the hood and pull the dipstick and wipe it off, leaving the dipstick out while I fill up. This allows any oil in tube to drip down so I can check level properly. It takes me a couple minutes to fill up, I check oil level and it is in normal range.

When I first pull the dipstick, the oil is all the way to the top by handle/O-rings. PCV was changed recently (old one still rattled pretty good), vehicle does not burn or leak any noticeable amount of oil. As I said in past posts I wipe off more oil from dipstick than it uses. OCI's drain correct amount and get refilled with correct amount. Filters have bene pretty much Fram XG7317 or factory Honda. Oil does not come out from top of tube, nothing pushes past the Orings on handle.

This is about 4000k miles on the oil after after I filled up with gas per above. Oil is 1qt HPL 5W-30 and some PP 5W-30 and Euro L 5W-30.
IMG_7270.jpg

Maybe others experience this. I only notice it on my daughters '08 CRV currently with 236k on it. I don't know if there some seal or something odd/worn allowing oil more up the dipstick tube. It has done this since we got it from my sister 4 years ago.

I check oil on all my cars when I fill them with gas which is every time I buy gas. No $20 things. My routine is pull into gas station, shut down motor, release hood latch and fuel fill door. I then pop the hood and pull the dipstick and wipe it off, leaving the dipstick out while I fill up. This allows any oil in tube to drip down so I can check level properly. It takes me a couple minutes to fill up, I check oil level and it is in normal range.

When I first pull the dipstick, the oil is all the way to the top by handle/O-rings. PCV was changed recently (old one still rattled pretty good), vehicle does not burn or leak any noticeable amount of oil. As I said in past posts I wipe off more oil from dipstick than it uses. OCI's drain correct amount and get refilled with correct amount. Filters have bene pretty much Fram XG7317 or factory Honda. Oil does not come out from top of tube, nothing pushes past the Orings on handle.

This is about 4000k miles on the oil after after I filled up with gas per above. Oil is 1qt HPL 5W-30 and some PP 5W-30 and Euro L 5W-30.

No matter the reason for the oil on the dipstick, I really admire your OCD on oil checks! If other people had your passion. There would be a lot more healthy vehicles on the road.
No matter the reason for the oil on the dipstick, I really admire your OCD on oil checks! If other people had your passion. There would be a lot more healthy vehicles on the road.

Well done sir

I haven't really noticed it on my '17 Accord 2.4L (earth dreams) but probably because that tube is on the front of the motor not going through the valve cover. I don't recall if the '04 CRV prior did that. My sons 2.0L Kia Forte does not seem to have that issue. I'll need to watch more on next checks.

Thank you for the info and that I'm not going crazy.

Well done sir
It's great when my 20yo daughter does it all the time also (and my son). Many just look and walk past. One guy did ask if she needed help one day and her reply was thank you for asking and checking, I'm good. It's 16 years old with over 230k, need it to make sure it stays running well with full oil.

Well done sir
Agreed. It's too bad that routine oil level checks are considered "OCD" nowadays. I try to check my oil levels monthly. My oil level never drops on the dipstick, but my logic is that when/if a leak develops, I'll catch it early on before any damage can be done.

I check our '07 Accord 2.4 in the driveway 15 mins or so after shut off to allow oil to drain down, and the dipstick readings are consistent. Checking the oil level within a few minutes of shut off is an exercise in frustration.

Why don't you check your oil on a level surface, before you start,then when you do it at a station,which sounds like you have a great plan there,you will have a better ideal on the readings.In my little world,I do the check before starting,if I add,its a bit, the jug goes back on the shelf

Why don't you check your oil on a level surface, before you start,then when you do it at a station,which sounds like you have a great plan there,you will have a better ideal on the readings.In my little world,I do the check before starting,if I add,its a bit, the jug goes back on the shelf
My driveway and in front of my house where all the cars are not level surfaces unfortunately. I do check my Accord at work as where I park is level and car has been sitting for at least 8 hours.

My dad told me like 50 years ago that checking oil while getting gas could lead to inaccurate readings and not to trust the gas guys when they said that oil was needed. Better to check yourself after the car was sitting off a while and add oil yourself. 50 years ago people working at the gas stations in NJ filled your tank, checked oil, and washed windshields. They might have also checked the water level on batteries.

Unless you have a big leak in your engine, it smokes, or is known to use oil, checking it at every fill up is a waste of your time. Your oil level should be about in the middle of the dipstick between the 2 holes after a few minutes of being turned off. If you over filled it at some point, it will show higher than it should be. If all is good with the engine, the level should remain at the same point.,,

On any engine I’ve ever owned in the past 50+years, if I check any oil right after the engine is shut down, the oil is always up the dipstick past the full mark. How high up the stick may differ from engine to engine but that’s why we need to wipe off the dipstick, reinsert, pull out again and check the oil level.

Only when the engine has been at rest for a long period of time such as overnight, is the oil level down to where you almost don’t need to wipe it off and check again. But wipe off the dipstick anyway and check again to get the correct level.

My dad told me like 50 years ago that checking oil while getting gas could lead to inaccurate readings and not to trust the gas guys when they said that oil was needed. Better to check yourself after the car was sitting off a while and add oil yourself. 50 years ago people working at the gas stations in NJ filled your tank, checked oil, and washed windshields. They might have also checked the water level on batteries.
You're absolutely correct! Almost 50 years ago to the day, I was working in a Crown Gasoline station in Plainfield, NJ. We always washed windshields but a squeegee was not allowed. As part of our Crown uniform which included dark blue khaki pants and light blue button down, collared shirt, we also had a little belt in which we were to keep a small squeeze bottle and blue paper towels. Yup, we gave it a a hand cleaning and while doing so, we were to ask if they would like us to check the oil too! I have to admit, it was kind of a pain unless an attractive woman was behind the wheel. Their windshield always got a little more attention! Hey, give me a break I was 17!

shut down motor, release hood latch and fuel fill door. I then pop the hood and pull the dipstick
Don't do that. Shut the engine off and leave it alone. Give it time for oil to run down the dipstick tube (though I don't think a fuel fill-up is long enough to make much difference).

Don't do that. Shut the engine off and leave it alone. Give it time for oil to run down the dipstick tube (though I don't think a fuel fill-up is long enough to make much difference).
Doing that and leaving it out while fueling allows enough time for the oil drain down since it's hot, or at least close enough. I get clean level results all the time. I've been doing that for over 45 years since dad taught me. If I leave it in while fueling it does not drain off everything as well and makes reading it harder when wiped, reinserted, checked. Maybe call it a tolerance/clearance effect between dipstick and tube and HTHS.

While hood is up I glance at master cylinder for brake fluid level, coolant reservoir, windshield fluid reservoir and power steering reservoir if it has one. Quick glance at the rest for odd things that might stand out. Some vehicles I will check the trans fluid right after shut down if that is how procedure states. Others will get the running in neutral check after fuel up. That's normally once every 1-2 months and always before a longer trip is planned. Same goes for tires at different times. Normally cold, before sun hits them on a weekend morning. Before a trip they might be warmer and higher but if I have 3 at 35psi and 1 at 28psi lets me know one has an issue.

Some vehicles like FIL's Jeep Renegade say to check when hot after sitting for a couple minutes from shutdown for accurate level. I did check to see difference on level surface by taking it to work. Difference was about 1/8" on dipstick cold/vs hot, negligible but at least I now know since Jeep warrantied a new motor. One forum the guy was discussing the procedure on his Mini Cooper with no dipstick that it has to be warm and I think idling to show the level on gauges.

For me checking is not a waste of a time as it gives me something I do to be me and know any one of my family can hop in any vehicle and go short of maybe needing fuel at that point. If I didn't do that it might give me 1 minute extra to discuss oil/tires/vehicles and many other things on internet forums but I find time for that also.

YMMV.

Back