Oil in gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/

Thoughts on this article?

Use 1oz of the Pennzoil Marine Synthetic 2-stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas ( 1oz-5gallons/ 2ozs - 10 gallons etc. and that is the perfect ratio. Too much and it will make your engine run worse....too little and it wont do anything.....use the proper amount.....get a little bottle and keep it in your car.....We have seen a maximum of 5% better MPG down to a minimum of 2% better MPG. All of our test mules reported much smoother idles and cruising. No smoking or ill effects. No residue on plugs our pistons....actually the opposite....we saw "cleaning".....I am now comfortable recommending this for all. I also now run this mixture in my GTO/Mercedes/Silverado and G6 with all having smoother running motors and all gaining MPG. Give it a try and let me know your experience. Follow the mixture ratio to the letter. 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.

18.gif

I've been using it for over two years. Noticed very little difference in gas milage but my pickups are smoother.
It did make a significant improvement in use in my riding mower though. Uses about 25% less gas.

This has been discussed here many times. The same approach applies to MMO as it does to TCW3. You will have those who are all for it, claiming it does this or that; not saying adding a little lube in the gas can't do some good. But all I know is that for me, adding MMO or TCW3 to the tank does absolutely nothing as far as improving smoothness or increasing MPG. So I don't do it. I add some Techron or another high-quality fuel additive once in a long while strictly for PM, but that's it.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/

Thoughts on this article?

Use 1oz of the Pennzoil Marine Synthetic 2-stroke oil per 5 gallons of gas ( 1oz-5gallons/ 2ozs - 10 gallons etc. and that is the perfect ratio. Too much and it will make your engine run worse....too little and it wont do anything.....use the proper amount.....get a little bottle and keep it in your car.....We have seen a maximum of 5% better MPG down to a minimum of 2% better MPG. All of our test mules reported much smoother idles and cruising. No smoking or ill effects. No residue on plugs our pistons....actually the opposite....we saw "cleaning".....I am now comfortable recommending this for all. I also now run this mixture in my GTO/Mercedes/Silverado and G6 with all having smoother running motors and all gaining MPG. Give it a try and let me know your experience. Follow the mixture ratio to the letter. 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.

Very interesting! Been trying this for the past few months, blending a 1:4 Ashless Outboard to Acetone and add about 8oz mix per tank. Cars do run smoother and things are getting lubed.
[/living on the edge]

I was using it by the gallons on the road doing delivery work , it never harmed the engine, plugs that came out at 100k were clean and it did quiet down a loud and noisy fuelpump. Mileage wise not a big deal, but hey, it was cheaper then mmo...I guess you have to take the heads off say after 6 months or a year to see. That site you were looking at has been up for awhile. Old Sarge disappeared after awhile and never came back to the best I can remember. His idea seemed ok in using 2 cycle oil, but by now if he is still using it , he should have lots of data. He may have past on, not sure on that though.

IF adding a little oil to gasoline would yield a minimum of 2% and up to 5% better MPG the oil companies AND the car companies would be all OVER this.

Total bull.

You will not be able to make a statistically valid assessment of a 2% increase in fuel economy.

I keep accurate fuel logs for both my cars so ill be able to tell if it works.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You will not be able to make a statistically valid assessment of a 2% increase in fuel economy.

I keep accurate fuel logs for both my cars so ill be able to tell if it works.

I can try!

I feel as though the fuel economy increase would long be notice in engines that are worn. In a new engine, the ring seal is very good so i would assume a negligible effect.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Likely not good for the O2's or the CAT in the long run .

I'm still waiting for a CC or 02 sensor to go bad from the use of TCW3 or MMO. I use it all the time and have been for decades now. I read about people here claiming it will happen, although it hasn't yet. Keep in mind some car makers say using a qt of oil every 600-1000 miles is normal. Engine oil burns dirty, MMO and TCW3 burn clean. How would 2 ounces of TCW3 in 10 gallons of gas, or 4 ounces of MMO in 10 gallons of gas ruin anything?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
IF adding a little oil to gasoline would yield a minimum of 2% and up to 5% better MPG the oil companies AND the car companies would be all OVER this.

My thoughts as well.

i've been doing this off and on in the 92 ranger.... you can certainly feel when you've added too much oil to the fuel, i accidentally overshot the 1oz to 5 gallon ratio by about 40% and i got a lot of smoke and scent out of the exhaust, not to mention how it actually felt in the throttle pedal.

when mixed correctly.... it does seem to feel like less throttle is needed to maintain a given speed. smoother, more consistent idle has been noticed as well.

when i switch back to normal gasoline, all of that is gone by the time i get through the tank.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Likely not good for the O2's or the CAT in the long run .
+1

Still waiting on my 88 E-150's cat to die. I've been feeding it MMO since new. I went 212K with the original CC and 02 sensor in my 93 Aerostar, it was fed MMO from around 50K miles. I think cat murder and 02 killing is overplayed. Opinions vary, mine is based on actual use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back