Oil Guard Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

What are the materials of construction for the -20 model? Is there any danger of the cotton element breaking off?

The cotton element screw on using a plastic thread in the filter. Probably the only thing is that it could be overtightened and crack the plastic, but it would take a pretty strong person. The head of the unit looks like a good aluminum and the cannister is steel. Very heavy built unit.

offtopic.gif

I have a Oil Guard -20 that I am replacing with a Gulf Coast 01 and mine is For Sale with some spare filters. No hoses or fittings, but available at any Napa. PM or e-mail me.

cheers.gif

[ January 09, 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

the outer cotton winding of the oilguard -20 filter is tied off after windeing and does not unwind during use

the used filter in my use looks the same as when first installed except for carbon stanined and oily

I suspect the inner portion of the elemt are the same as the rancor element finer cotton and then paper but I have not disasembled one yet to prove that

Steve,

Nothing at all wrong with the Oil Guard Bypass filter. Very well made, heavy duty unit. I just had better oil analysis with the Gulf Coast 01 using the TP media. I have used the Frantz TP filter for over 30 years on gas engines and then when I put the Gul Coast 01 on my truck the results were very good with that filter. With a 15 qt. sump on both PSD's, I love the added 5 quarts with the Gulf Coast, which is also built like a tank and inexpensive elements.

cheers.gif

When Frantz came out in the 50's the sales pitch was simple. The filters keep the oil clean enough so that the oil normally doesn't need to be drained and the continuously clean oil makes the engine last a lot longer. The element also costs only 10 cents. If you have a coolant or fuel contamination problem you repair it. Motor Guard had the same pitch when they came out in the 60's as the interest in bypass filters is increasing the sales pitch is changing. Instead of getting additives from adding new oil at filter changes you get it from the element. Instead of repairing a coolant leak your filter has a heating element to boil away the coolant "We have expensive elements that have to be better than cheap toilet paper". "Our elements are computer designed." If they can't build a filter than cleans as good as toilet paper they have to beat toilet paper at the marketing game. I remember back in the 60's a company in Nebraska had a cotton filter that could filter as good as the Frantz and Motor Guard. The only reason is it was able to compress the cotton. Cotton can only clean oil as good as toilet paper if it is compressed. Without compressing the contaminants can find too many channels.
Filters are just too simple. Back about 1980. I saw a brochure of Bobby Unser with some Amsoil oil, a bypass filter and I believe an air filter. He was saying this oil change is forever. Endorsments help. I need a quarterback from a team that won the supper bowl. I would need to borrow some money in case any of you guys are interested.
grin.gif

Ralph
burnout.gif

When Frantz came out in the 50's the sales pitch was simple. The filters keep the oil clean enough so that the oil normally doesn't need to be drained and the continuously clean oil makes the engine last a lot longer. The element also costs only 10 cents. If you have a coolant or fuel contamnation problem you repair it. Motor Guard had the same pitch when they came out in the 60's. As the interest in bypass filters is increasing the sales pitch is changing. Instead of getting additives from adding new oil at filter changes you get it from the element. Instead of repairing a coolant leak your filter has a heating element to boil away the coolant. "We have expensive elements that have to be better than cheap toilet paper" "Our elements are computer designed" If they can't build a filter that cleans as good as toilet paper they have to beat toilet paper at the marketing game. I remember back in the 60's a company in Nebraska had a cotton filter that could filter as good as the Frantz and Motor Guard. The only reason is it was able to compress the cotton. Cotton can only clean oil as well as toilet paper if it is compressed. Without compressing the contaminants can find too many channels. Filters are simple. Back about 1980 I saw a brochure of Bobby Unser with some Amsoil oil, a bypass filter and I believe an air filter. He was saying this oil change is forever. Endorsments help. I need a quarterback from a team that won a super bowl. I would need to borrow some money in case any of you guys are interested
grin.gif

Ralph
burnout.gif

>>>Back about 1980 I saw a brochure of Bobby Unser with some Amsoil oil, a bypass filter and I believe an air filter.

Ralph, Bobby Unser is a good friend of Al Amatuzio (AMSOIL owner) and still uses the products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back