oil gets black FAST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
86 Toy truck 22r. regular leaker. After i top off and run it for about 1-200 miles,the oil starts to get black quick.I have used mmo a few thousand miles ago,but i don't think that has anything to do with it.I have been using 15w40 for the past 5-7000 miles.I know,it might be the adds and detergents but for it to darken that fast??

I would get a few fresh filters and give it 2 amsoil flushes, followed by some maxlife

its not like a 25 year old toyota truck is going to be worth changing engine parts on.

a couple amsoil flush, a few filters and maxlife will see you to the 300k mark i bet. it made it this far.

it may have some blowby causing the oil to darken. have you thought about using something to clean the ring packs like kreen?
and if this engine has alot of blowby you probably need a new pcv valve

I don't think it has a lot of blow-by.I don't see any I have done an MMO soak last year some time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Is the front seal leaking? Where is the oil coming from?

Black oil? Gummy rings.

First car I ever owned had a 22r. Peice of cake to do the front seal. Valve adjustment easy too.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
would adding a whole can of b-12 help?

Do not do that. IF you are trying to clean up internally, on such an old engine, do it slowly by using something like MMO, but only for the last 500-1,000 miles as it thins down the oil you are using(which isn't preferable in an older/worn engine) as some do use the 1 QT replacement during entire OCI which is fine for those types of applications.

The reason I bring up MMO? It's a slower clean and it's respected on this site. There are other options though, but I would just stick a good HM oil in there with a good oil filter and be happy.

As a side note, I have used Amsoil's Engine/Tranny flush product just prior to an oil change, but IMO it really only helps with entry level carbon deposits and it's not designed to break down sludge like a mechanic in a can, just knocks the 'top' off if you will...in other words it's only good to use on a relatively clean engine already.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
would adding a whole can of b-12 help?

Do not do that. IF you are trying to clean up internally, on such an old engine, do it slowly by using something like MMO, but only for the last 500-1,000 miles as it thins down the oil you are using(which isn't preferable in an older/worn engine) as some do use the 1 QT replacement during entire OCI which is fine for those types of applications.

The reason I bring up MMO? It's a slower clean and it's respected on this site. There are other options though, but I would just stick a good HM oil in there with a good oil filter and be happy.

As a side note, I have used Amsoil's Engine/Tranny flush product just prior to an oil change, but IMO it really only helps with entry level carbon deposits and it's not designed to break down sludge like a mechanic in a can, just knocks the 'top' off if you will...in other words it's only good to use on a relatively clean engine already.

+1 i would not use b12 or anything like that, mmo is a solid product. just use one qt with 4 qts oil for a 2-3k oci.
there are other options as well like Pennzoil Ultra for cleaning up sludge. Mobil1 High Mileage is good at cleaning too and will help with seals.

Just curious,why shouldn't i use b-12? Is it because it might loosen a lot of gunk,assuming there is some? It would only be done with engine idling,not driven around.I sometimes hope the engine gives out,so that i can rebuild it and modify it.

Last edited:
If it's gunked up significantly, B12 risks breaking a lot of [censored] loose very quickly, which an cause clogs and other issues. Stripping away the junk slowly is much safer for the engine.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
If it's gunked up significantly, B12 risks breaking a lot of [censored] loose very quickly, which an cause clogs and other issues. Stripping away the junk slowly is much safer for the engine.

Good post.

It would be nice if we had a vehicle history. From the sounds of it, the oil hasn't been changed enough throughout the engine's lifetime.

More OCIs - more often. I recommend adding CD-2 (Gray Bottle) to the next couple oil changes.... not the yellow bottle CD-2 treatment. The gray bottle increases lubrication / cleaning ability - plus alleviates the leak.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

It would be nice if we had a vehicle history.
I bought it used at around 190,000 miles.i was thinking today.I feel like using the b-12 to see what happens! I do have an oil pressure gauge,so if the pressure drops,I turn it off.If it messes up,Rebuild time!!

WELL,should i run a can of this?

I say no, but if you are in a hurry you can do any potential repairs, though I don't think B-12 can clean it up well anyway, which is the point. The only thing it may do is clean up some of it and you just risk clogging things up and you still have the primary sludge to worry about. It's a risk you are taking when there are other, more suitable products, .02 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back