Oil for new 500HP LS based engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just build and installed a new 6.0L in my 2001 GMC Sierra 4x4. I built it with 11:1 compression and about 500HP at the crank. I broke it in with Rotella dino 10w-40 plus a break-in additive. I've changed the oil at the following mileages. 10, 100, 500, and 1500. I now have about 3300 miles on it and am ready to change it again. I had to add about 1/2 quart of oil in the last OCI.

Now the big question. Am I ready for synthetic, or do I need to continue break-in with the dino?

If ready for synthetic, which one? Bearing tolerances in the engine are to factory specs. With the 10x-40, I'm running about 53 PSI oil pressure at idle, 60-65 on the interstate, and probably 75-80 PSI at redline. I previously was running M1 TDT 5w-40 in my old 5.3. I have Castrol Edge in another vehicle, and PP in another. I'm not brand loyal, just want the best oil for my truck.

What do you do with 500 hp? Before you start, you must be certain that the next couple of blocks are free of cars. Just curious.

I'd use a dino 5w-30 (whichever brand floats your boat) and go 3k again. After that, you'll have 6k on the engine and it should be as ready as it will ever be for a synthetic.

Given the cool temps this time of year and the fact that your oil temps should be normal to slightly low, coupled with the fact the engine was spec'ed for a 5w-30, you'll be just fine. This is of course assuming that your driving habits are normal(ish). With normal driving and cool temps, your oil temps wont be high enough to dictate a thicker oil.

I would run a 5w30 if clearances are within spec and preferably a synthetic.

Off topic: Sweet engine build! Running it through a built 4l80E and 14 bolt SF I assume?

i think i would run a high zddp oil like rotella t-5 or t-6 for break-in to 6000miles , perhaps even a can of lubro-moly mos2 for the break in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'd use a dino 5w-30 (whichever brand floats your boat) and go 3k again. After that, you'll have 6k on the engine and it should be as ready as it will ever be for a synthetic. With normal driving and cool temps, your oil temps wont be high enough to dictate a thicker oil.

+1, and id like to note ive read of vette owners liking edge, i a ford guy love edge, tho i have NO engine comparable!!

Originally Posted By: bryceban
I would run a 5w30 if clearances are within spec and preferably a synthetic.

Off topic: Sweet engine build! Running it through a built 4l80E and 14 bolt SF I assume?

Lol, probably should be. I'm still running the originla 4L60E, but I did install a Transgo HD shift kit and aluminum accumulator pistons. The rear carrier was replaced with a Detroit TruTrac with 4.30 gears.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
i think i would run a high zddp oil like rotella t-5 or t-6 for break-in to 6000miles , perhaps even a can of lubro-moly mos2 for the break in.

I used Rotella dino 10w-40 with a break-in additive for the first 1500 miles. The last 2000 I used the same oil without the aditive.

What's the consensus? Would T5 be a good compromise for the next 3000 miles? Or should I stick with straight dino? I want full synthetic in it ASAP, but don't want to hinder any possible remaining break-in that's needed.

Last edited:
Switching to syn shouldn't hurt break-in at all. Make sure you run it somewhat hard (not up to redline, but moderate throttle to get the rings seated).

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Switching to syn shouldn't hurt break-in at all. Make sure you run it somewhat hard (not up to redline, but moderate throttle to get the rings seated).

The first time I drove it it saw about 50% power and 4K RPMs, then backpressure, all to seat the rings. VIDEO

LS motors aren't picky when it comes to oil, so go with a high quality brand you trust. No need for ZDDP as these are roller motors, although it won't hurt anything either. I am running an ERL LS2 in my 96 SS camaro(1200 hp turbocharged with a GT47-88). I run RL 5w-30(sometimes switch to 10w-40). For an engine in your power range, an off the shelf synthetic should be more than adequate.

Now if it were mine I would obviously run a POE oil as Im partial to them. Overkill??? Maybe, but I have had great results using them in many applications. If you are ok with paying more to do so, Motul and Redline are your top choices in a Group V oil. If you go with a group III, Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 0w-40 are very popular in the LS community.

I run Edge 5W-30 in my 1998 Corvette with 130,000 miles. It is quieter than Mobil 1 and had 3 times less ppm lead (main reason I changed).

I am running PP in my other cars, although I was a LONG TIME Mobil 1 fan. Not that I think Mobil 1 is a bad oil, just that others have improved.

i vote VR1 conv or syn. x/40 if your gonna rag on it alot x/30 if you dont abuse it too much.

T6 would be great too

I had been planning to go back to the M1 TDT 5W-40. Would you say that some of these other oils are better choices? Like I already mentioned, I'm already using Edge in another vehicle, and PP in another. I'll be going to Ultra in that vehicle next.

BTW, I went with Rotella T5 for this OCI. What ever I go to after this I plan on sticking with. So keep the comments coming. I've got 3K miles to decide:) Thanks for all the valuable feedback!

Last edited:
If your engine is set up typically there should be no need for anything over 30w.

Costs a bit of hp too. I run Amsoil Dominator in my go fast streeter with 550 hp roller small block stroker. Seems to rev a bit freer, but may be in my head.

These engines are simply not hard on the oil. Have some fun!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Looks like a good candidate for GC 0w-30.

GC 0-30 doesn't carry the GM4718M spec designed for Corvette. Since off the shelf M1 5-30 does and is used by several high end road race teams, this might be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back