Oil for my HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for an alternative to the HD 20w-50 I have been running in my '86 1340. I would love to switch to synthetics but the price just doesn't make that work for me. I can't afford to spend $5+ for an oil I'll be changing at 2000 miles.

I am currently rebiulding the topend (70k miles) due to an oil leak and was shocked to find only .003 wear at the top of the cylinders. Needless to say, I am using newer stock pistons. The mechanic that I took the cylinders to has recommended Spectro, but once again, I'm looking for something readily available that will do as good of a job or better than the HD oil. I will be adding an oil cooler to the bike sometime this year. I have also noticed a problem with foam when using alternitive M/C oils.

Anybody with ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

[ April 05, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

If Castrol 20w-50 has friction modifiers in it, it won't work - right? I thought motorcycle oil was different than auto oil (other than having a higher price)

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
If Castrol 20w-50 has friction modifiers in it, it won't work - right? I thought motorcycle oil was different than auto oil (other than having a higher price)

Friction Modifiers only mess with the Wet Clutch operation.

Since Harely's have 3 seperate oil resevoirs, the engine oil doesn't touch the clutch.

May I dare, recommend some Schaffers to you?

I would say this should give you outstanding protection for a conventional oil.

Also I don't understand why you are changing your oil every 2,000 miles. Does the engine have a filter? If so you should be good for at least 5,000 with a synthetic and dare I recommend 6-8 thousand if you do that within a year.

Anyhow, Good thing I don't change the oil in my Triumph every 2,000 that would be more than 1 oil change per month. I'm getting ready to do 500 this weekend and 800+ weekend after next!!

Right now I have Delo 400 in there, but will be switching to Amsoil here soon. Probably after the weekend.

I change the oil every 2000 miles because the manufacturer recommends it. Obviously it works, with only .003" of wear at the top of the cylinders and .001" at the bottom after 70k miles. I will be installing an oil cooler before my trip to Sturgis in August and am going to attempt 3k - 4k drain intervals with some analysis to find out where I stand. I also make 500+ mile trips in one day. It's a pain to change it that often, but it ends up being "peace of mind" I guess.

I have already contacted Bob regarding Schaeffer's and am going to make the call within the next few days. As stated before, I'm worried about the oil foaming up during operation as I have found with non HD oils in the past. I did also recently find out I had an oil pump problem... Not sure if this had anything to do with the foaming or not.

Good news, I will be posting UOA's on whatever oil I do attempt to use. We'll all be able to see how the oil holds up to a low RPM, air cooled engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back