Oil for my di engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ps the car has 40,000 miles on it now and ive got no engine problems that I can tell so I guess im doing something right

Im sure the rest of the car will fall apart before the engine dies. I just love to change the oils and filters. I have an ocd when it comes to oil and filters and grease. I had a boss when I was in my teens that always said it wasn't the chrome that gets ya home its the grease and oil that get you home so I guess it stuck with me. One thing I hate about new cars is theres no grease fitting. I don't trust a moving part without a grease fitting.

No turbo?

QSGB
VWB
MS5K
PYB
GTX
MAXLIFE
GTX Blend
QS/Pnzl blend

take your pick...

Wemay it gets cold hear in ny bud. Plus in the winter this car gets warmed up a lot before driving so it idles a lot. Also 90 percent of the miles are short trips. But u still think I should use regular dino. Under these circumstances u don't think the car is better off with a synthetic. Yeah I know they are aren't real synthetics but u know what I mean.

With the OCIs you're doing, I don't think that you have much to worry about.
Use an inexpensive 5W-30 and rest well.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
OK. Does your manufacture recommend a 5W30? If so do you believe the engineers that have made this recommendation have factored in that a 5W30 will shear?

Only BITOGers and lubricant engineers have ever heard of shear before. Other types of engineers are sequestered from that knowledge.
wink.gif

waltywalt: Don't obsess too much about the cold. The average 5w-XX (and even 10w-xx) is more than up to the task for NY winters, and even my winters. If you concern yourself primarily with shear resistance and cold weather performance, you're going to create a very difficult quest for yourself, and you'd be stuck with out of spec lubes anyhow.

Garak and dave1251, two very excellent posts.

Garak knows how obsessive I have been concerning this same thing.

dave1251, those testing links make me comfortable if ever I use conventional again. I will. And I have the turbo! Just have to keep the oci under 4k if I do.

waltywalt, fdc27 also makes an excellent point. At under 5k miles? No worries. Its almost as if conventional oil has now been relegated to massage parlors and deep frying. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
dave1251, those testing links make me comfortable if ever I use conventional again.

Absolutely. The way some people talk about cold weather, you'd think that we'd all be using Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 up here as a government mandate to keep the highways rolling in the winter.
wink.gif

GTX 5w-30 served me for many years in a vehicle that never saw the inside of a garage for longer than it took to change the oil. And the most tangible advantage I've gotten out of Delvac 1 over PYB is that the Delvac 1 keeps me out of Walmart and Canadian Tire, and that's worth the price of admission alone.

I'm using NAPA synthetic for similar reasons, keeps me out of Walmart and costs $3.49 a qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back