Oil for long run time/idling

No, STP only thickens at the expense of additives. If you want a higher viscosity then buy a higher viscosity fully formulated motor oil. The suggestion to use a 30-grade is the correct one.
Anyone in search of thickener in a 20 vis could use SAE30 SN Plus … I bought that for $3/quart …
OP: instead of certain brands … find an inexpensive 5w30 that meets Dexos … all that motor needs

Advance Autoparts is clearancing Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 Synthetic for $10.49 per 5 qt jug which is a Dexos 1 Gen 2 Rated Oil if you have one. If not Walmart SuperTech Synthetic and Costco Kirkland Synthetic are only a little more and D1G2 rated. NAPA Synthetic (Valvoline) is also good if you can catch it when on sale.

Oil Filter - You can keep the one you have if it's only been a relatively short time since you changed oil. I generally would prefer an OEM Filter (Toyota) but if it's cost prohibitive a $3 Supertech from Walmart will work. Even if it's an E-Core it will work fine since they have redesigned them. A NAPA Gold (Wix) is generally a better filter but more expensive.

Run a PEA based fuel additive through the engine like Gumout Regane or Chevron Techron with a tank of Shell 91-93 octane to help clean off some carbon in the chambers.

Check the fan operation and make sure your coolant and radiator is in good condition.

Last edited:
This engine was spec'd for 5w-30 up until at least 2007 and mine is a 2009. Both the oil cap and owners manual say 5w-20, but that caveat about higher viscosity for high speed/load always intrigued/bothered me. Should I try some STP or some thick additive in the meantime or just change my oil? I'm off today, so now would be the time.

Instead of dumping cans or bottles of goop in your crankcase just run a quality oil.

Pick up the SHELL Rotella Gas truck 5w-20 for $2.45 ( or less ) a quart at A.A.P.. Use the Toyota oil filter . Call local A.A.P.s' for stock numbers of the Rotella Gas Truck 5w-20 . R.G.T. 5w-30 should be fine as alternative . Would stock up for future O.C.s' . The manufacturing date is located on the bottom or at the bottom of the back . Let us know what you decide .

Last edited:
Well, just did a light engine flush and changed the oil with M1 EP 5w30 and a boss filter. Engine is quieter and idles very smoothly. Also filled up with some ethanol free gas and a bottle of redline fuel system cleaner. The rattling noise is still there faintly, so I'm thinking it may be a loose heat shield or something in the exhaust. I'll have it looked at tomorrow. Running great right now! Thanks for all the advice!

Quick follow up. I'm getting about 1 mpg better with 5w30 vs. 5w20 ,same driving conditions, regular 10% ethanol gas and over 2 mpg better with ethanol-free gas. Engine is quieter, but there was a slight drop in throttle response. Car still starts up very quickly. For Uber/Doordash applications with only city driving and long idle times, I think we found a winner. I was prepared to give up gas mileage for the sake of protection/longevity, but this experiment tuned out to be a win/win. My old 99 Ford Taurus was back spec'd for 5w20 and the oil light would come on at stop lights after driving for a while. I changed the oil myself for the first time with 5w30 and a motorcraft filter and the oil light never came on again. Pretty sure the engineers who designed our engines weren't like "Woops! Turns out the engines actually do run better on lower viscosity oil. Better go back and fix that!" lol

Thanks for the update. Thinking to up my SAE oil one step up and hear about the "less" throttle response! But I'd prefer superior protection over else

Thanks for the update. Thinking to up my SAE oil one step up and hear about the "less" throttle response! But I'd prefer superior protection over else
It's far from sluggish, but it accelerates more "gently" I guess you could say.

I also agree it sounds like a heat shield or exhaust issue. Would not hurt to run back to back tanks of a quality fuel system cleaner like your Redline or Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner. Glad to hear the 5W30 worked well for you also.

Back