Oil for high-miles 2009 Hyundai Accent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have a 2009 Hyundai Accent (1.6L automatic) with 250,xxx miles on it. I just bought it from someone who was meticulous about changing oil every 3-4k, but not sure what he used. He mostly used it for commuting 82 miles one-way, about 75% of which was highway.

The owner's manual calls for changing the oil every 7,500 miles, or every 3,000 in "severe" driving.

It considers "severe driving" to be:

SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS
A - Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5miles (8km) in normal
temperature or less than 10miles (16km) in freezing temperature
B - Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
C - Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt- spread roads
D - Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold
weather
E - Driving in sandy areas
F - Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)
G - Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road
H - Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I - Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle
towing
J - Driving over 100 MPH (170 Km/h)
K - Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

It calls for 5W-20 or 5W-30 and says:

The engine oil quality should meet the
following classification.
API SJ, SL or ABOVE,
ILSAC GF-3 or ABOVE

It does not specify synthetic or conventional.

I live in the Chicago suburbs.

I tend to drive pretty conservatively in the accelerating/braking departments, but on the highway we consistently do 70-75mph.

The car is used most weekdays for commuting 14 miles (half hour) each way in mild suburban traffic (~40mph roads). It will also often be used for 200-500 mile highway drives on average about once a week (varies). Also, a small amount of short trips to the grocery store etc. Probably 30-35k miles/year total.

The car does not have any problems that I am aware of.

What would be the best oil, filter, and interval to use to make this car last as long as possible? I'd love to get two years out of it.

I don't care where I buy it (online or in store; I have pretty much all large retailers nearby). I'd rather do longer intervals but would do shorter ones if it came out better or cheaper.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks.

Well the car meets the part D. I would look into getting the tranny oil and filer changed. A oil analysis may give you a heads up on any engine issue. A change to a high mile oil like Valvoline Maxlife and a filter and if you have no issues in 30 days you may have a winner. Valvoline makes a pretty good synthetic transmission fluid.

Welcome to BITOG.

Any 5w30 generally on the shelves at Walmart or similar will meet your needs. Change at 5000 mile intervals.

There is no need for fancy filters. A FRAM Tough Guard would be a good choice.

Winters are tough on high mile cars as such so look into other fluids also such as last change outs of coolant, power steering and brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Welcome to BITOG.

Any 5w30 generally on the shelves at Walmart or similar will meet your needs. Change at 5000 mile intervals.

There is no need for fancy filters. A FRAM Tough Guard would be a good choice.

Yep! Maxlife, QS Defy, Havoline HM, Penzoil HM all available for cheap at walmart and will do 5K easy. +1 on Fram TG.

Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 change every 7,500 with a Wix or Fram Ultra filter.

Doesn't this engine have a timing belt? Be sure it has been replaced.

Run QS Defy 5w30. Its got the gamma motor I think. I had a 12 Accent and ran Pennzoil Synthetic 5w30 year round. In the manual of 2012 it says 5w20,5w30 ,or 10w30 can be used. During extremely hot weather and with AutoZone clearance I bought a lot of PUP 10w30 for under 2.00 per qt. PUP 10w30 runs great in W Body GM 3.1 and 3.8's.Gave some to my buddy and made his Pontiac Bonneville purr;though he threw it a half qt of Hyperlube No Smoke to "help"

Maxlife 5w-30 and a Fram Ultra. You can get both at Walmart. Change every 7,500.

Coolant, transmission, brake, and power steering fluid should be flushed if they haven't been already.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for all the input!

All other fluids have been flushed/changed recently.

@Nick1994, yes the engine has a timing belt, was last done 15k ago.

I'm curious: is there a particular reason everyone is recommending 5W-30? The owner's manual seems to imply that 5W-20 is preferred, but that 5W-30 is "also OK" at all temperatures.

The way in which the PO used this car made his selected OCI unnecessary. He could have driven much longer on a drain.
Still, no engine ever died from too frequent oil changes and I'll bet it's really clean in there regardless of the oil used.
For you, any decent 5W-30 should be good for 5K intervals at least and probably longer.
You say you want two years out of this car. I'd be more concerned about servicing the tranny than I would the appropriate engine oil.

Originally Posted By: cbuck
Thanks for all the input!

All other fluids have been flushed/changed recently.

@Nick1994, yes the engine has a timing belt, was last done 15k ago.

I'm curious: is there a particular reason everyone is recommending 5W-30? The owner's manual seems to imply that 5W-20 is preferred, but that 5W-30 is "also OK" at all temperatures.
I assumed it called for a 5w30. You can use 0w20 or 5w20 no problem. But a 5w30 certainly wouldn't hurt it. It might even like it more!

Originally Posted By: cbuck

Anything from 0w-20 to 5w-40 will be fine. Given the choice, I'd put the Maxlife 5w-30 in your higher mileage vehicle. A bit thicker oil will lessen any burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back