Oil For Foam Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
In stead of using engine oil to oil the foam air filter I wonder if Bar and Chain oil would be better. It has a higher tack, stickiness, factor. Maybe it would be better at capturing more dirt, especially the smaller particles
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Chris142
go to a motorcycle shop.they will have several options to choose from.belray makes a very tacky oil for this.

^^^^This. Motorcycle/ATV shops have lots of this stuff. Maxima, BelRay, etc. I use it on the motocross bikes and on the foam pre-cleaners on my Outdoor Power Equipment (OPE).

Not sure I would use MMO, although I have no scientific evidence against its use. Too easy to get the "proper" stuff, in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, Briggs just recommends standard engine oil for the foam filters. Whatever oil you use in the engine is fine for the filter.
I have also used the ATV air filter oil from the cycle shop. It comes in an aerosol can and is a little easier to apply.

Most manufacturers recommend SAE 30 for foam filters.

I have been using chain & bar oil for its extra tack additives for a decade and a half, now.

Probably any oil ... even mineral oil sold as a laxative ... would work.

No No No! Do not use regular motor oil or MMO as oil for foam air filters. Neither of them are sticky enough and will quickly drip out of the foam, leaving your filter dry and not filtering as well. You can use motor oil in a pinch but MMO has way too much solvent content to be used. Buy a specific foam filter oil from an auto parts store or better yet a motorcycle/ATV shop.

A specific foam filter oil will stick to the cells of the foam better, catch more dirt and not rinse out so easy if the filter gets wet some how.

Personally, I like the no-toil foam air filter care kit. It comes with filter cleaner, filter oil and filter rim grease, all of which are designed to work in concert together and all of them are good products on their own. I have also tried UNI air filter oil which is also very sticky and works well.

Both of them are available at your local motorcycle dealer or online. Also, Napa can usually order the no-toil products for you.

As some others have recommended, I use Motorcycle air filter oil. I have an old can of PJ1 from years ago when I had a motorcycle. It is colored red, so you can visibly see the oil distribution, and is quite tacky.

I've used engine oil on all my OPE foam prefilters for years, per the owners manuals. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Originally Posted By: AMC
No No No! Do not use regular motor oil or MMO as oil for foam air filters. Neither of them are sticky enough and will quickly drip out of the foam, leaving your filter dry and not filtering as well. You can use motor oil in a pinch but MMO has way too much solvent content to be used. Buy a specific foam filter oil from an auto parts store or better yet a motorcycle/ATV shop.

A specific foam filter oil will stick to the cells of the foam better, catch more dirt and not rinse out so easy if the filter gets wet some how.

Personally, I like the no-toil foam air filter care kit. It comes with filter cleaner, filter oil and filter rim grease, all of which are designed to work in concert together and all of them are good products on their own. I have also tried UNI air filter oil which is also very sticky and works well.

Both of them are available at your local motorcycle dealer or online. Also, Napa can usually order the no-toil products for you.

Briggs and Stratton specifically recommends engine oil for their foam air filters.
They have made millions of them that lived long and healthy lives.
Your engine will be fine.

Engine oil will work, but specific foam filter oil works better.
smile.gif

Kind of like many other topics in the world of equipment repair and maintenance....

You don't have to torque your lug nuts but you should. You don't have to lube the inside of your ratchets but they will work better if you do. You don't have to change your oil on time but you still should.

Foam filter oil is cheap, it isn't going to make you go broke and probably will work much better than engine oil. If you really care about your engine's longevity, why not use it?

Just some food for thought
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back