Oil for a Subaru Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most important thing with your Subaru is allow it to warm up before using the turbo hard and ALWAYS allow a cooldown period of at least a min idling before you shut in down no matter what oil.

Since you are in CA, get over to a Checkers and pick up some Pennzoil Plat 5w-30 for $1.99 a quart.

As far as oil fitlers, any of them will be just fine for less than 4k OCIs.

I've got a 07 Outback and so far, I like the Supertech filters ST6607 on mine.

Also, watch the @#$%^& dipstick. It is one of the worst ones I've ever used. Very EASY to over fill.

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: coffee
I totally agree with the Pennzoil Plat 5w30. Probably the best oil you can use for the price.

coffee, you finally decided to put Platinum in those two Volvos?

Originally Posted By: DAC17
We also have a 2009 Forester XT, and I'm using 5W30 PP.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks, I picked up a jug of PP 5-30 today. Are you changing yours more often than schedule or? I love my Subie so far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tigerclaws
I would recommend an OEM oil filter. I have a non-turbo and from what I have heard, the OEM subaru filters would be more than enough for most applications.

I'm wondering if a Wix Nascar filter woud be a good filter. They are $4.45 at Napa and would avoid the inconvenience of running to the dealer all the time. Any comments?

I run the WIX, get UOA's with insoluables never higher than 0.3% and 7500-15000 miles between filter changes on my Subaru. Wix is a good filter, especially for the price.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Johnny
If anyone has never driven an STI, you owe it to yourself to go test drive one. I just don't see how you could have more fun in a production car.

I'd highly recommend the pre-2008 model though, it's much better in my opinion and also some other people's opinions from those that have driven both.

Is it the '07 or '08 STIs that are having the problems with broken ring lands?

How about the cracking around the valve seats?

In my experience those motors like a stout synthetic grp 4/5 that does not shear much. Motul 5/10w-40/50 (the hot STi's like the 15w-50 seems to work well. It also depends how hot the oil runs.
They do tend to beat the oil up quite badly and can run a bit rich round town (software dependant).
57.gif

Just my .02 cents, but I've been running PP in my 08 Subaru LGT since 2500 miles....now at 7000 and on it's second change with that oil.

I'm going to switch to Rotella 5w40 synthetic. I just feel this car wants something a little more viscous, and it's about the same cost per quart.

Joe

I have a Sube Legacy GT, 2005. I went to 5/30 syn at 5k. Last 3 changes have been 5/40 which seems to agree with the car. At least it doesn't use as much oil. 5/40 is within range on both ends and, supposedly, factory fill in Europe. Currently using "SL" RTS 5/40 with a 5k interval. Car has about 32K and I don't drive it hard.

Originally Posted By: gene_c
I just purchased a Subaru Forester XT turbo. this is basically the same engine as used in the current WRX. The recommended oci is 3750 or 3.75 months to maintain warranty. The car will see a fair amount of California desert as well as occasional mountain pass climbing plus a lot of freeway and short trip stuff. I was thinking of Castrol GTX 5-30 for the price per gallon at Walmart and also because the change interval is so short. I don't really know whether the Subie turbo is hard on oil or not, the oil almost clear with the factory fill at 2500 miles. I would like to go synthetic but I am thinking with the short intervals it could be overkill. Any suggestions for my kind of service would be appreciated. I am a retired guy and won't be doing much drag racing.

Another vote for Rotella T 5w-40 in the bang for the buck department. If you check your owner's manual, you'll see that 10w-30 and 10w-40 is required in high temps and up to 50 grades are spec'ed for desert driving.
banana2.gif

The only 30 grade brands that I would run are GC, Amsoil, Red Line, Renewable Lubricants Inc, the new Valvoline/Roush or a High Mileage oil. Something very robust.

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
A CJ-4/SM rated 5w-40 is probably the best value for the short OCI's you're sticking with...

I have a 2009 Outback Limited 2.5i. I have 5400 as of this morning. I just did my second oil change and used PP 5w-40 European. I have Purolater Plus(?) filters i use for it. This car loves the 5w-40 oil. I do 100+ miles a day and I decided to go with the more robust oil. Things are great so far!

I'm running Rotella synth 5-40 on my slightly modded STi. I had it on the track for about 1-1.5 hours last week and it didn't use a noticable ammount of oil. I plan on running this oil for ~3k total and getting a UOA. But so far so good for RTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back