oil for '95 BMW M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, it's me again.

It seems the best oil for any car is going to be a full synthetic made by one of the smaller manufacturers. But let me ask a narrower question:

Consider a '95 BMW M3 with 119K miles, driven daily to work, usually given full throttle when fully warm once each day but not flogged. Engine does not burn or leak oil, had perfect compression numbers at it's pre-purchase inspection at 93K miles, and has probably had dino oil changed frequently since new.

Considering they are about equal in price, which is better, Castrol Syntec Blend 20-50 or Castrol's high-mileage oil? Again, I live in S. Calif. where it never gets below 40.

Thanks again!

FWIW, my '94 540i had a steady diet of Castrol GTX 20w50 untill I bought it, like yours
biggthumbcoffe.gif
. I tried Amsoil 20w50 but this car really seems to like Amsoil 10w40 and Redline 10w40.

My vote is going to be for Castrol High Mileage 10W-40. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the high mileage oils. Actually if it were me I'd choose Pennzoil's high mileage 10W-40 but that is just a personal preference. The oil companies seem to have a zillion different ways to achieve the same results.

I just read one of the cleanest oil analysis reports ever of a 95 BMW 525IT using a M50 6cyl, running Schaeffers 7000 Blend 15w-40. On first run. Car has nearly 150,000 miles on it. And some fuel dilute issues.

Its a station wagon and not a M3 but amazing results that I hope is willing to post for all here to review.

Terry

[ February 20, 2004, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

The M3 is a different story from the Ferrari. Here, I would not bother with either of the 2 choices you listed. Use either Castrol Syntec 5-50 or Mobil 1 15-50. Or you could even go out on a limb and use the current M3 recommended oil, the European Castrol 10-60. Don't fool around with conventional in this car/engine...as it's newer, more complex and driven daily.

Hi, Terry. That 525iT must be mine. I'm looking forward to seeing the results and will definitely be happy to post it.

I'd go with the M1 15W-50 as well; Your owners manual probably states that a conventional 15W-50 can be used down to 0F. BMW engines of that vintage thrive on higher viscosity oils.

I agree with Dr. T and MCompact. Only use a thick synthetic oil. I would use Castrol Syntec 5W-50, Mobil 1 15W-50, Amsoil 20W-50 or Castrol Syntec 20W-50. Of the oils that I listed you will get the best fuel economy with Castrol Syntec 5W-50.

A while back WalMart had all grades of Castrol Syntec on sale for $3.97 per quart. I rarely if ever pay over $4.00 per quart for either Syntec or Mobil 1.

[ February 21, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back