Oil for 2004 LS1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first LS1 powered car (2004 GTO), but I have been around them for quite some time.

Mobil 1 never seems to be a sure thing for them and i've never really been a fan except for their Delvac 1. A lot burn it quickly. It was a big deal awhile ago, but I haven't really been keeping track anymore.

I will be changing the oil at roughly 3,000 mile intervals as it is driven quite hard. I will be using a Napa Gold Oil filter. The car has 5,500 miles on it right now.

The oils I will be chosing between will be:
Mobil 1 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Castrol Syntec 5w30
Valvoline Synpower 5w30
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w30

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

Definitely GC...not because I am the Elfe Meister but because I think the particular GM engine will love it!

Chevrolet recommends Mobil One 5w30 for Corvette engines, LS1 and LS6 etc. The majority (70%) of those that answered polls on Corvette threads seem to continue to use Mobil One. I am not sure of your particular LS-1application, but in the Chevrolet Corvette engines one of the specifications the oil should meet is the GM- 4178M

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
This is my first LS1 powered car (2004 GTO), but I have been around them for quite some time.

Mobil 1 never seems to be a sure thing for them and i've never really been a fan except for their Delvac 1. A lot burn it quickly. It was a big deal awhile ago, but I haven't really been keeping track anymore.

I will be changing the oil at roughly 3,000 mile intervals as it is driven quite hard. I will be using a Napa Gold Oil filter. The car has 5,500 miles on it right now.

The oils I will be chosing between will be:
Mobil 1 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
Castrol Syntec 5w30
Valvoline Synpower 5w30
Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w30

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

I would say that not a single one of your choices on that list is what I would consider running in my LS1. The LS1 tends to show much better wear numbers running a thicker 30wt oil (12cst) and all of those oils are closer to 10cst (except possibly the new M1 5w30 which might be 11.3 now, however we haven't seen enough UOAs to prove this for sure just yet)

I'm seeing excellent wear numbers running GC 0w30 in my LS1. I think Amsoil 0w30 is also a very good choice too though. Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 5w40 are two other good choices too, same with Royal Purple racing 41.

One more point, just because you drive it hard doesn't mean you need to change it every 3k. I drive mine hard too, and even at 6000 miles through the winter months, it still came back with very low wear. I'm going to be going even further on this run, 8000 miles, and the next one after that will most likely be even longer.

I use Havoline synthetic 10/30 in my 2004 GTO.

I changed out the factory fill at about 700 miles as I had run up against one year from date of manufacture of the car. I have 2K on the car now; as it's just a fun weekend driver for us.

As best I recall, my owner's manual specs GM6094M for the oil, and not 4718M. The Havoline 10/30 synthetic meets both specs.

yeah, I would not trust GM's decision to put Mobil 1 as factory fill either.
rolleyes.gif

Their 1000's of hours and years of testing is meaningless.

Mobil1 10w-30 is speced for the LS1 here. 0w-40 is also recommended. We don't have the M1 5w-30.

The most common Mobil1 grade sold here is the 5w-50. The recommended grades above are harder to find and much more expensive.

I'd use Mobil 1 10w-30 Extended Performance, German Castrol, or Mobil 1 0w-40. Amsoil S2k would be a good choice but it's unproven in this engine as theire are ZERO UOA's of it. It's also been reformulated. Still think it would do well.

The new M1 is unproven yet as well, but the chemistry is the same only they increased the additive levels. For a very hard driven LS1, RL would be my choice. The new M1 GF-4, which I would not run, is now 11.3cst @100c, so it's a bit thicker.

My question is would the new M1 5-40 truck/suv oil be a good sub for M1 0-40 for my car.

my LS-1 V8 (04 GTO also), calls for 5-30, ive recently switched to Mobil 1 0-40 because of the better wear it should give. BUT 0-40 is hard to find around here and this 5-40 would save me about $10 an oil change vs the cost of 0-40 not to mention the hastle of finding it. Wally world has this 5-40 M1 by the cases in 5 qt jugs and singles.

wondering if it would be an acceptible substitute for M1 0-40. I worry more about wear as it is my daily driver and I log about 25-30k a year and I intend to drive this car until the wheels fall off. Motor is stock and is likely to only be lightly modified with bolt ons if anything

If Im reading the tables right..

cst vi at 40/ and 100c/ VI / HTHS
5-30 40c 56 100c 10.0/ 175/ 3.08
0-40 40c 80 100c 14.3/ 187/ 3.6
5-40 40c 103 100c 14.8/ 151/ 4.1

but Im not sure how the additive pkgs differ.

any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back