oil for 2.5 2013 vw passat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a 2012 Golf 2.5 w/ 5 speed M/T about a month ago but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough (it sold)….I was contemplating using regular 5w30 and 10w30 synthetics like QSUD, PP, NAPA syn etc...at 5K intervals strictly because I already have them in my stash. I feel that the 2.5 is non-turbo and not overstressed so I doubt it would cause any issue.....I might have even stretched it out to 6 or 7K if a UOA showed it was doable...the 6 quart sump should help in that regard....

PS: I agree with the OP's supposition that VW recommends 502/504 approved oil in this engine for 'dealership logistics' purposes.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Castrol edge ep 5w40 or Mobil 1 ep 5w40... or a 0w40 depending on your region and temps.

What are "Castrol edge ep 5w40" and "Mobil 1 ep 5w40"? I've never heard of them before.

Ep extended performance

Can you enlighten us about those oils?

Originally Posted by jstert
thank you carj and jeepman3071, your replies are most relevant to my inquiry. like brigadier my diy days are done, too bad for us... i suppose that a definitive answer comes by doing two oil analyses: the first on my current vw spec oil, the second after 5k on non spec oil. absent those analyses, and anyone else's personal experience doing 5k non vw oci, staying with 10k dealer oci may be best for engine longevity. cheers.

I always do 5K OCI.
You could do that before. Just because car is under warranty, does not mean you cannot change oil by yourself at your own OCI. As long as you use VW 502.00 specification, and do OCI at MAX 10K, VW will warrant any issue since that is the law.
Again, stick to VW502.00.

Originally Posted by CARJ
We've got a 12 Passat S (manual trans) with 85k. I was in the same position as you, paid off, out of warranty, wanting to go from 10k to 5k oil changes. My wife drives about 6 miles a day, which makes me want to switch to a more conservative interval. The manual says 5w-30 or 5w-40. I decided to try a 5w-30 and since I had some PPHM in my stash, I used that. I don't see a problem using a non 502 spec oil at this interval. Car is running fine. At this point I'm looking for inexpensive oil changes so I'll use whatever cheap syn I can find.

Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40 are not any more expensive than PPHM. However, they are several steps above.

Originally Posted by pbm
I was looking at a 2012 Golf 2.5 w/ 5 speed M/T about a month ago but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough (it sold)….I was contemplating using regular 5w30 and 10w30 synthetics like QSUD, PP, NAPA syn etc...at 5K intervals strictly because I already have them in my stash. I feel that the 2.5 is non-turbo and not overstressed so I doubt it would cause any issue.....I might have even stretched it out to 6 or 7K if a UOA showed it was doable...the 6 quart sump should help in that regard....

And this is where problems arise. People think they know more than the manufacturer and do otherwise and wonder why they have problems later on down the road (and then bash said brand). VW specs a certain oil for a reason, turbo or not.

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by pbm

And this is where problems arise. People think they know more than the manufacturer and do otherwise and wonder why they have problems later on down the road (and then bash said brand). VW specs a certain oil for a reason, turbo or not.

Yes, but they save $3 on 5qt of oil.

When the car hits 200k, I'll let you know how bad it was for it to run non 502 spec oil. It will be fine.

Less costly oil....Castrol 0w-40 is like $24 @ Wal-Mart. Mobil 1 0w-40 about the same. I'm using Pennzoil 0w-40 right now and was doing 6mo. oil changes since I do a lot of short trips. Haven't gone over 5k. miles in any interval. See if your VW dealer will allow you to bring in your own oil/filter and charge you only labor. Oil/filter $30 (could be less) and $20 labor. Not too bad if you don't want to do your own oil change. Be sure to do a transmission pan drop and add new fluid as well as new spark plugs. (I used NGK's and they're a better plug than the factory Bosch's.)

The VW 2.5 is a robust engine. Any modern oil will work in it. It does not have the valvetrain wear issues other VW engines had! VW just specs 502 for all their gas engines in the USA.

My employee runs whatever 15/40 we have around the shop in his beater 08 2.5. started at 95, has 150k still going, but literally defines the word beater.

Originally Posted by jeff8407
The VW 2.5 is a robust engine. Any modern oil will work in it. It does not have the valvetrain wear issues other VW engines had! VW just specs 502 for all their gas engines in the USA.

That's my belief as well....but their are some who insist on using a VW 502 oil (which I would definitely use in a VW turbo)
When I owned a 2001 Accord several BITOGers said that using anything other than Honda's mediocre Z-1 ATF would cause problems despite many members using Maxlife ATF or Castrol IMV without issues....

Originally Posted by jeff8407

That is related to TDI.

An alternative would be to buy the oil and filter at walmarts......0w40 or 5w40 and bring it to a local shop and ask then to change the oil. My friend does it all the time. My mother in law has a 2013 VW 2.5, I change the oil at 10K miles using any 0w 0r 5w40, the last 2 changes were RP 5w40. It has been the smoothest the engine sounded.
I have 1.8t and just picked up a 6 pack of M1 0W40 at BJ's for $29.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back