oil for 1973 jeep J4800 w/360cid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for input on what oil, brand and weight. That would be good for my old snow plow.
as above it is a 1973 Jeep J4800 truck w/360 V-8 aka Gladiator

It is mainly used in the winter as a snow plow for our long driveway (1/2 mile long). There are some small trips in the summer to haul firewood. The winter temps get below -40 at times, regularly below -20C is when it is used. This truck has no modifications to the engine and to my knowledge the motor has never been opened up.

Also maybe some reccomendations on trnasfer case and diff fluids (or should i start a new thread in the proper topic?)

I would use Amsoil, Pennzoil Platnium 10w30 Synthetic and change it once a year. Use a good Oil Filter like Amsoil, Wix, Pure-1 too.

Amsoil makes some really great long-life Transfer Case & Diff fluids...

11.gif
Cheers!

Esso XD 0w-30 or 0w-40. I wouldn't use anything else since you can get it and the temps you indicate are extremely cold.

Do you have to use a block heater or anything? Unaided starts in those tempsr with an old Jeep would seem impossible!

Last winter i got it to start with no help at -23C once...the my sister was plugging in lights for the ice rink and never said anything. So i thought it was plugged in but it was not, good thing for the new battery the week before! Usually trying to start that truck in those temps would require a boost if i wanted it to start without using the block heater.
I am pretty religious on plugging in my vehicles (the fusion will not start below -32C without it).

I have 6 bottles of Auto-Rx coming in...should i use it on this truck?

Originally Posted By: tuckman
I am looking for input on what oil, brand and weight. That would be good for my old snow plow.
as above it is a 1973 Jeep J4800 truck w/360 V-8 aka Gladiator

It is mainly used in the winter as a snow plow for our long driveway (1/2 mile long). There are some small trips in the summer to haul firewood. The winter temps get below -40 at times, regularly below -20C is when it is used. This truck has no modifications to the engine and to my knowledge the motor has never been opened up.

Also maybe some reccomendations on trnasfer case and diff fluids (or should i start a new thread in the proper topic?)

Used to have a '70 J3000.
Have a lot of affection for the old fullsize Jeeps.

I'm assuming a Dana 20 t/case, so a 75W-90 would be nice at your temps. At a higher ambient you would get away with a 80W-90, but not at -20*C.
Which diff, Dana 60 ? again, a 75W-90 or a 75W-110 for winter/summer.

tuckman, what lubricants are you using in it now (engine, diffs, transmission, etc)? What oils do you have easy access to? It seems the ESSO/EXXON XD 0W oils are easy to find in your part of the world and they are excellent products. They also make excellent 75W-90 gear oils, and grease.

The ARX would work fine in your Jeep but I would wait until spring/summer to do it when you can get the Jeep out and drive it more. Actually you could start the cleaning phase during the winter, but the rinse phase needs to be done with regular dino oil and that would work better for you during the spring/summer months.

How many miles do you have on the old girl?

I would go synthetic oil and fluids. I would also go with either a 0W-30 or a 5W-30. If it leaks oil stick with a 5W-30.

Frank D

I'd be inclined to use a good 0W-40 or 5W-40 on that engine, it is 'probably' somewhat worn, and needs a thicker oil for cushioning.

Esso XD-3 0W-40, Shell Rotella 0W-40, or any Petro Canada HDEO 40-weight.

If the truck has used dino its whole life, and thats what you are comfortable with, go with Petro-Canada's dino 10W-30 or 10W-40 (now called Supreme), it has great cold-cranking and pumping numbers.

Like Johnny said, what's been used in it so far (that you know of)?

Last edited:
I keep forgetting about Petro Canada, guess that's because we don't have it down here. If I lived in Canada and had access to their products, I would use them. Petro Canada really makes some great products.

One thing that IS unfortunate is that they just halved their selection of PCMO's - no more synthetic blends, no more 5W-40 'Euro' synthetic, no more Turbo 5W-30 synthetic, no more 'Maximum' oils....just 'Supreme' 5W-20 to 20W-50; and 'Supreme synthetic 5W-20 to 10W-30.

All their HDEO's are still in place.....

Re tdi-rick
Used to have a '70 J3000.
Have a lot of affection for the old fullsize Jeeps.

I'm assuming a Dana 20 t/case, so a 75W-90 would be nice at your temps. At a higher ambient you would get away with a 80W-90, but not at -20*C.
Which diff, Dana 60 ? again, a 75W-90 or a 75W-110 for winter/summer.

i will have to look at the truck friday to see what diff and transfer case...i know they are all Dana.

I love this truck...it is going to be my next restoration project!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
tuckman, what lubricants are you using in it now (engine, diffs, transmission, etc)? What oils do you have easy access to? It seems the ESSO/EXXON XD 0W oils are easy to find in your part of the world and they are excellent products. They also make excellent 75W-90 gear oils, and grease.

The ARX would work fine in your Jeep but I would wait until spring/summer to do it when you can get the Jeep out and drive it more. Actually you could start the cleaning phase during the winter, but the rinse phase needs to be done with regular dino oil and that would work better for you during the spring/summer months.

How many miles do you have on the old girl?

i will have to look at the miles Friday.

Everything is dino right now (not sure what is in there right now) but as i stated earlier this will be my restoration project. That is why i am really looking for the best products to use.
I did a search and i will use fluids from UFA - United Farmers of Alberta (ESSO rebadged) at a much better price.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
One thing that IS unfortunate is that they just halved their selection of PCMO's - no more synthetic blends, no more 5W-40 'Euro' synthetic, no more Turbo 5W-30 synthetic, no more 'Maximum' oils....just 'Supreme' 5W-20 to 20W-50; and 'Supreme synthetic 5W-20 to 10W-30.

All their HDEO's are still in place.....

Where is a good place to find a full line of Petro Can products?

Unfortunately, bulk depots. Gas station sell all the PCMO's, but it seems if you want the HDEO's, you have to go to a distributor - at least I've never seen the retail anywhere...

Cougar Fuels in Bonnyville is the closest bulk Petro-Canada plant, UFA in St. Paul has the Polar Plus oils, McEwen's Esso in Elk Point has the XD-3 products.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Can you get XD 0w-30? Seriously, from all we've seen here, that is one of the best oils money can buy!

I saw it at three different wal mart stores in this area $35CAD for 4L jug

So i looked at the odometer today it says 8433mi i am thinking it has gone at least once around.
Dana 20 t/case, Dana 60 rear diff...didn't look at the front diff yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back